Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2018, 09:33 AM   #1

What kind/size of ladder do you carry with you?

Since step ladders have to be stored in a storage compartment, I thought this to be the correct place to ask! I'm wondering what size/type of ladder do you carry with you on the road? I have a 7' step ladder, but it's far too short for me to be able to reach the top portion of my Phaeton, so I thought I'd see how you do it? If you need to check your toppers, adjust one of the metal awning compartments, or even wax the top of your unit, with these coaches as high as they are, reaching the top can be a chore. Of course with the width of our units, one can't just go out and buy a ladder that is over the size of what might fit in the lower storage compartments either!
I don't know if I'd want one that actually touches the side of the unit, which is why I'm asking about step ladders, but, perhaps there is something else out there everyone is using? I do know there are 'extendible' ladders one can buy online (haven't seen any at the local Home Depot?) so hopefully some has an option for working higher up on our rigs!

Thanks in advance!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I only carry a seven footer. My option for anything taller is to get on the roof and work from there. Can’t be faint of the heart when dangling over the edge.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:49 AM   #3

Well,
I'll get flamed beyond belief on this but, the wife and I both think that storing or carrying a step ladder ON the rear ladder of the coach, ANY COACH, looks about like the Beverly Hillbillies. We've seen some pretty nice and expensive coaches carrying those hideous things on there. With all that being said, we have one of those folding 6' step ladders that sits in tube, inside a compartment. I'm 6' 2.5" and, that ladder is enough for me to do whatever I need, i.e. windshield cleaning etc. while out on the road.

If I need to get up higher, I'll just wait 'till we return home for whatever that need is.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #4

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jayco Owners Club
I carry 2 ladders. A 7' step( able to reach windshield and usually to top of coach) and a 16' telescoping ladder that enables me to gain roof access if needed. Both fit into compartments.
GMA385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:01 PM   #5

I have a folding 12.5’ ladder that I paid $69 for. Go ahead and flame me about cheap ladders. Ive been using ladders for work for 20 years. I can tell the difference but it’s certainly sufficient to get the job done.

Anyway, it also folds into a 7’ A frame and a low scaffold. The other nice thing is the wide set base helps with stability. It folds small enough to fit in a compartment. I might even be able to get it under the bed.

I also have the ladder on the back of the MH, but it’s a impossible to see under the slide toppers using it.

After getting pummeled with acorns and being concerned about the silly things being on top of the slide and not being able to do anything about it I decided we would have a ladder even if it has to be stored on the floor on the other side of the bed. Plus, we had an awning issue and needed a ladder badly.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #6

I carry a 12' telescoping ladder that compresses down to around 3.5'. I use pipe foam insulation to keep from scratching the coach.

This ladder is easy to use and easy to store in the basement.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:58 PM   #7

ladder

I carry a 16' extension ladder. However, I also pull an enclosed trailer with my car inside. So my ladder is attached to the wall of my trailer and out of sight. Don't want to look like the Beverly Hillbillies now do we.
rhanson5911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:51 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I just carry a 4' stepladder. When I need one taller than that I can always find someone willing to loan it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:42 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I carry a "Little Giant Helium" it's just a little more narrow (folded) and much lighter than the standard but it goes to a 7' step and a 17' extension. It can't collapse like I have heard the telescoping ones do occasionally and it fits easily in a by with one bungee securing it.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #10

Ditto on two ladders. I have a 41 foot diesel pusher with no factory ladder. I bought a 7' step ladder that folds to the size of a fence post... About 4"x 5" by 7' long. That works for most of the stuff - windshield cleaning, etc.

I also bought a leaner, one of those 16 foot telescoping ladders that collapses down to about 3 1/2 feet for roof access. The stepladder lays length wise in the space between the roll out trays in the basement, the telescoping ladder lays in one of the roll out trays. I also use foam pipe insulation to protect the finish. As a side bar, the telescoping ladders are a bit rickety, and tend to flex. I always have someone hold the base steady when I'm on it...
LostDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
12' telescoping is my standby. Can be setup for 1/2 that. A nice piece of foam keeps the coach finish from being marred.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroke2000 View Post
I'm wondering what size/type of ladder do you carry with you on the road?
Our Allegro Bus came equipped with a roof ladder that begins about 8' off the ground, with a bottom portion in the basement storage. Using that, I can get on the roof for unanticipated needs.

Anything other than those unexpected kinds of things are done at home, where I have several taller ladders available.
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:00 PM   #13

We also have a ladder that starts miles off the ground and we have a piece that gets connected to get up the ladder.

My husband reminded me of the time that one side of the awning didn't latch closed and when on the highway it almost unfurled. No ladder. Ended up having to run the front of my SUV up close to the MH and then stand on the hood to struggle to sort it out, it was raining and the roof was a skating rink. lol

Im hoping we never have to use the folding ladder. Glad to have one for emergencies.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:09 PM   #14

Triple E Owners Club
We have an 8 foot fibreglass that we just bought. It just fits in the rear pass through. We too hate to see ladders on the back attached to another ladder. But if there is no other choice and one cannot afford $100 for a storable ladder, then so be it. Wear it.