Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-10-2015, 10:41 PM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
I think you have to look at this two ways. First, if you're parked, it cools down substantially at and night and you have everything closed, 2 units in a 40 unit will be just okay.

The second situation where you've been driving all day and it doesn't cool down at night, for example....Vegas, 2 units won't cool the coach down past about 79-80 degrees.

It also depends on what you think is cool. For me, cool is about 72-73 degrees. My new Dutch Star, with two 15K units won't get anywhere near that on a 100+ degree day. I wish I could add a third A/C, but there just aren't that many times where we camp in that type of heat to justify adding another. If I were to order a new coach, I would definitely order a third unit.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2015, 05:50 AM   #16

Has anybody installed a roof A/C unit (or replaced one)? What am I missing here?

After locating a spot inside and outside, slice the roof and remove top piece in order to look for trouble between roof and ceiling panel.
If none found, find electric wire that powers one of the roof A/C units (shouldn't it be running on centerline down length of coach?)
Finish cutting into coach.
Horse new unit into place after splicing the A/C supply wire and pushing aside.
Connect wire, install trim, caulk roof

A/C would work in tandem with the other unit's thermostat.

Is it that easy?

Rick and Sandy
2003 American Eagle, 46K miles
...from Sept 2015
bamaboy473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:06 AM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have friends with a 37' coach that has 2 15k units and in the extreme heat (105+) it does not keep up without floor fans. Their coach has 4 slides and it is just too much for those 2 units, it should have 3 for the south in summer.
Kent - '03 Fleetwood Storm Ford F-53 V-10
With Susie (Lhasa); Angie (Shorkie) Ferbie (ShihTzu)
In Memoriam: Katie, Spencer and Zoey
Lincolnboy2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:44 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I think Smitty hit most of the points earlier and Don the most important one... to those that say two is enough - bet if you came to the south you'd sing a different tune
(Hate to quote the NYT, but here is an interesting take on population shifts)

Yesterday I was out in the rv while a tech was working on it and it was 108 inside!
I was melting (since after quitting sports LONG ago I have been an 'office jock'!) but the tech was barely sweating... he's acclimated to the heat, like I USED to be

So, in MY case, four would not be enough
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:08 PM   #19
Another consideration is which brand of MH you are looking at. From my limited experience, the Newmar and Entegra are better insulated and will cool down better that most other brands. I know for a fact that my sons 45' Mountain Aire cools better than our 44' Allegro Bus. Many companies use the same construction methads as Tiffin, so they would be similar to ours. If the front cap above the windshield is not insulated well, a lot of heat will come through that area. A good way to check is on a hot sunny day after the coach is cooled down, open a cabinet up near the ceiling and feel how warm it is. This will tell you where a lot of heat can be coming through. FWIW, most brands 40' or longer, will need three A/C units to cool a 40' coach down to 72* sitting in 95* sunshine. A 40' Newmar or Entegra would be fine with two.
2013 43 QGP Allegro Bus
26' Enclosed trailer for toys
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:19 PM   #20
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
I have friends with a 37' coach that has 2 15k units and in the extreme heat (105+) it does not keep up without floor fans. Their coach has 4 slides and it is just too much for those 2 units, it should have 3 for the south in summer.
Some brands are better insulated than others. So far our Magna seems to be as well insulated as the previous Dutch Star. I wish all manufacturers would publish the insulation factors for their rigs, but most don't want to let you see how little insulation there is.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote