Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2018, 11:23 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
What material should I use?

TIA for any help or ideas.

While ripping out carpeting to be replaced, we discovered water damage in one of our slide out floors. The original material used for the bottom/outside of the slideout was apparently the infamous luan. The wood backing on the luan is toast so I am going to remove everything and build it back up.

I don't want anything that can rot again so the top of the sandwich will be 1/4" hardi backer, the center will again be styrofoam, just can't figure out what and where to get the bottom/outside.

What are they putting on the new ones these days?

Your ideas and tips are greatly appreciated!
KimoJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2018, 11:32 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Luan is just a type of soft plywood and is almost never used as an outer surface - it is typically in the sandwich somewhere. The outer skin (exposed to weather) is usually some sort of sheet material like fiberglass(e.g. filon), rubber, TPO, etc. If it doesn't need to be very cosmetic, you could use mobile home & RV underbelly sheeting, e.g. a product like one of these:
https://www.all-rite.com/underbelly-material
http://rv52.com/rv-underbelly-material/
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:58 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Luan is just a type of soft plywood and is almost never used as an outer surface - it is typically in the sandwich somewhere. The outer skin (exposed to weather) is usually some sort of sheet material like fiberglass(e.g. filon), rubber, TPO, etc. If it doesn't need to be very cosmetic, you could use mobile home & RV underbelly sheeting, e.g. a product like one of these:
https://www.all-rite.com/underbelly-material
RV Underbelly Material

Thanks Gary for the ideas and links!

For a time I was interested in Alfas ( I ended up with a National Pacifica ). In the Alfa world, the fiberglass sheets (that blister) that make up the sides of the RV are called "luan". I have since learned that "luan" is a type of light wood.

Wat I have now on the bottom is a thin layer of what I believe to be fiberglas that was backed by some type of wood that is now soaked and rotten.

The replacement needs to have some strength and it needs to be something that won't ever rot again and it needs to be around 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. The lighter the better.

The corrugated plastic is interesting. Do you think the weight of the slide would be held up by that?

Thanks Again!
KimoJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:09 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you need something 1/4" thick, maybe you could use marine plywood with a sheet of FRP (fiberglass reinforced panel) glued to it, which you can buy at a big box hardware store.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:29 PM   #5

The Delrin product is Bullet Proof and is used in many different applications.

Acetal/Delrin Sheet - Natural and Black

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimoJames View Post
TIA for any help or ideas.

While ripping out carpeting to be replaced, we discovered water damage in one of our slide out floors. The original material used for the bottom/outside of the slideout was apparently the infamous luan. The wood backing on the luan is toast so I am going to remove everything and build it back up.
My advice here is to take a couple of (GOOD) pictures from underneath/outside and then a couple from inside (low and close up) so we can see what's really going on. The reason I suggest this is, replacing slide floor material can sometimes get a little dicey for several reasons. Have seen several folks here doing floor replacement and this area can pose certain obstacles. Pictures will certainly help others to see exactly what's going on and offer better targeted advice.

And of course since there's visible water damage from the past, make sure you have located how that happened and insure that area doesn't leak again.

BTW...do yourself and us a favor by putting your MH and Toad information into your signature
This will really help in all your future posts, so you won't have to type it in each time.
You do this by:
1) Going to the top of this page and click the top left tab named “User CP”
2) Look at the menu on the left and scroll down to “Settings & Options” and click “Edit Signature”
3) In that text box type all the information about your MH, Year, model, length, mileage, any aftermarket extras installed, your toad and so on. You’ll be limited to 3 lines unless you become a IRV2 supporter.
Consider signing up and becoming a IRV2 supporter. It’s a small way to give back to what we all reap here.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote