Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2016, 08:36 AM   #1

What % off $$ can you expect on used Diesel Pusher?

I realize this is a subjective question but you guys would have a better answer than I. If you're not trading a coach and are looking for a used diesel pusher. What % off would you say to take off the asking price?

If it's different from a dealer vs a private party that would be appreciated as well. I know that NADA is a good rule of thumb but you guys know from real deals.

I know there is no hard fast rule but would like your feedback?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2016, 08:42 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I use 20% below NADA low retail. I know that it is not accurate, I know PPL publishes real prices that they sell for, but you have to start somewhere. You have to buy at a price that you are happy with. The seller has to be happy with what you are paying. However you both get happy is really the bottom line. I use NADA and will adjust my offer based on how I feel. If the seller can't be happy with what I offer, I take my money and go home. Emotions are the one thing you want to leave out of the deal, they will kill you every time!
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:37 AM   #3

Thanks Jerry, I was looking around a website the other night, killing time more than anything else, and they had a 2007 45' Newmar Essex 4508 with 45/m miles with 500HP Cummins & 6 speed Allison tranny for $199,500.00.

Even though I'm buying a new coach I couldn't keep myself from clicking on it to see the inside. As you can imagine it did not disappoint.

NADA shows it retailed for $559,000.00 and now has a Low Retail of $202,750.00 with an average retail of $244,250.00. I don't know about any paperwork it has with it showing oil changes etc. Was just curious at what level of discount do you start negations on a coach like that?

I know about new but not used?
Old 07-19-2016, 11:45 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Just for discussion purposes think about this.
If I am a dealer, and I have a coach that has some non apparent issues, and you offer 20% off, I am more likely to sell it.
If the coach is, for all apparent purposes a gem, I am much less likely to discount to that degree.
It makes the game so hard to play.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:10 PM   #5

Indeed TMan59, it could be a real sticky wicket. I can see it being expensive too if you pay someone to inspect the coach at X - $ a pop. Not as expensive as buying a bad coach but expensive non the less. And time consuming for sure.

It's no easy business is it? Especially when we hear about the unscrupulous dealers out there! It's bad enough when buying new, used must be somthin indeed?
Old 07-19-2016, 12:32 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On a used coach, I don't think you can ever go looking with the intent to get a % off. The only real way to shop a used coach is to find several that are within a year of the coach, either way, and then do the math as to what the coach you're looking at is worth. I know a lot of people who think they just don't get a good deal unless they get "X" amount off the price. Those same people miss out on a lot of nice coaches or tell you how they spent 1-2 years shopping, versus using that time camping.

A friend of mine in Oregon had a really nice 2006 Monaco Diplomat 38'. He priced it right and even bought a another coach before the Diplomat sold, knowing it was a good buy/value. He listed it at $85K and the first person to see it offered $80K. He told him no thanks. Two days later, he had three people offering $85K and rushing to see who could get their first with their money.

It was a fantastic coach, at a good price, and sold immediately. A day later, the guy who offered $80K called to see if they would take his offer. They told him it was sold. He was upset, but it was his own fault.

The moral of the story, if its a good coach and the one you want, don't let that need to get a discount let a good coach slip away. Not everyone in the country is in desire straights and need to give their coach away.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:49 PM   #7

Hi Don, that's very good advice. RVtrader would be good for that purpose wouldn't it? There are some beautiful used coaches out there and that's for sure.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:48 PM   #8

For me, I would do my searching for the quality and floor plan I wanted with the power package I preferred. Then check it out with a test drive. If it was what I wanted, I would pay their asking price or offer what I was willing to pay. In either case it would be subject to a third party inspection that I would pay for. If it's what you want and passes the inspection, write the check and start enjoying. I would rather pay what I was comfortable with and not worry or care if it was a good deal in the eyes of someone else. The only time % of discount means anything is if you are buying new with no trade in.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:51 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
For me, I would do my searching for the quality and floor plan I wanted with the power package I preferred. Then check it out with a test drive. If it was what I wanted, I would pay their asking price or offer what I was willing to pay. In either case it would be subject to a third party inspection that I would pay for. If it's what you want and passes the inspection, write the check and start enjoying. I would rather pay what I was comfortable with and not worry or care if it was a good deal in the eyes of someone else. The only time % of discount means anything is if you are buying new with no trade in.
Best advice so far.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:21 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Since there is no set "asking price", how could there be any expected discount amount? The seller could add $50k to the price with the idea that he would negotiate down. Or the seller could have a "firm" asking price that is exactly what he expects to get.

The free online NADA RV Guide is just a rough approximation, based on average depreciation. It does not reflect actual market prices. so any give rig might be higher or lower in real, honest value. [Note: You can buy the subscription version for more accurate data. Good idea if you are actually shopping.] Starting with an offer around low NADA is a decent starting place, but I would not be surprised if it proved totally unacceptable to the seller if the rig in question is a popular model in prime condition.

I like Crasher's approach better than some artificial low price target.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Thanks Jerry, I was looking around a website the other night, killing time more than anything else, and they had a 2007 45' Newmar Essex 4508 with 45/m miles with 500HP Cummins & 6 speed Allison tranny for $199,500.00.
?
We just bought an 05 Essex 4502 with 36k miles for significantly less than that. We had a pre buy inspection done and bought an extended warranty to cover anything that pops up in the next few years.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:24 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post

Even though I'm buying a new coach I couldn't keep myself from clicking on it to see the inside. As you can imagine it did not disappoint.

NADA shows it retailed for $559,000.00 and now has a Low Retail of $202,750.00 with an average retail of $244,250.00. I don't know about any paperwork it has with it showing oil changes etc. Was just curious at what level of discount do you start negations on a coach like that?

I know about new but not used?
I would offer 165 myself. That is assuming that I don't see any issues with the coach. If tires still have a few years and I liked the coach I would probably pay as much as 190. I'm using all your numbers. I may even get emotionally involved and go as high as 195. They are very nice coaches!
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:28 PM   #13

With used coaches, the NADA value is just a starting point. If it has not been well taken care of, you would go down from there. If it has been well cared for and has a lot of upgrades, you would go up from there. For example, if the coach has been repainted, the TVs replaced, the floor replaced, etc, you would definitely pay more for that coach than one that has had none of that done and needs to have it done. The NADA values take none of that into consideration.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:31 PM   #14

Dealers take in trades at half of nada low book with the intent to make up the difference they had to come down on the price of the coach they sold. I just went through this scenario as I found a new Tiffin 44OH the wife and I really loved. Street value and nada value on my 04 HR was about $75k. They offered $35k trade in but would come down $40k on the price of the Tiffin. It was a wash to us but our trade would go on the lot for $75-80k making up the difference. So they really are not going to budge much on the sale of the used unit.

As far as a private sale, research RV trader and Craig's list for the value of similar units. Most are at a fair price. Some dealers do have used units at seriously over priced amounts. Damn near new, I can't figure that out.

I guess the answer to your question is you might be able to deal some on the price of a used coach but not much and definitely not a preconceived %.

BTW, I did not purchase the Tiffen, yet.

Tags
diesel