Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2011, 07:27 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Until I got a motorhome, I always took the more traditional approach to washing, waxing my vehicles. Good wash, followed by clay bar on the horizontal surfaces, then a good, sweat-producing hand polish.

Motorhome changed all that. Too dang big to take that much time and I'm getting old. So, I've settled on Turtle Wax Wash n' Wax for washing when it gets really dirty. I try to put a coat of NuFinish polish on the beast at least once every spring. However, more often now I just use No Wet waterless cleaner/wax. I was skeptical of these 'one step' waterless wash/wax products and tried several. No Wet does what it claims to do....remove all but the most heavy dirt and crud and leaves a light coat of wax with a great shine. I now use it on my cars and the motorhome.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I use Dry Wash N Guard, easy to apply, doesn't dry hard on the surface even in full sunlight in AZ, and water won't stick to it even on the windshield. Since I used to be a distributor I have a lifetime supply in the garage.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
You'll get a plethora of opinions on a thread like this, and almost all will be perfectly valid. I think overall it depends on two things : 1) how good a CLEANING job you do, and 2) how much EFFORT you want to expend on the wax/polish part of it.

The bottom line is that almost any wax or polish will look good if applied over a WELL-PREPPED vehicle, and the converse is true as well - if it's not prepped well, nothing will overcome that.

I've used several varieties and types of washes and waxes over the years on my cars (two black Caddy's, try keeping THEM clean in the South Jersey climate) and recently got turned on to the use of Red Max Pro on the Bounder. I am WAAAY to lazy and old to hand-wax the entire MH so the RMP turned out well and I'm very pleased with it.

I've used Collinite 845 on the Caddys and it's a very strong wax and will last for several months or more, but has to be hand-applied and buffed off (by hand or by orbital polisher), as would any other wax.

Waxes are nice, but remember - a wax is designed to be a 'sacrificial' component - it wears off due to environmental and other factors, so your paint/clear coat/gel coat does not. With my cars, I didn't mind doing a wash/clay bar/wash again/orbital polish/wax routine but on a 34' motor home...fuggeddaboutit.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Total agreement with JiminJersey regarding prep.

For an abused or older fiberglass MH, I think Red Max Pro #3 (search the vintage forum or google) is unequaled for value and price.

The shine easily lasts a year and is renewed with a single thin coat. Performs as well or better than Poliglow and at a fraction of the cost. It requires no special tools or skills and it really does give you a show-room shine.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Search the Vintage RV forum for Red Max Pro #3.........ronspradley
I endorse the Red Max Pro as well. I haven't used it on the entire motor home, but the areas I've used it on came out excellent. I was considering a product called Poli Glow, I saw in Highway's Magazine. It came with special applicators and was around $60 for 2 quarts. I got the Red Max for $15 for a gallon. I used a microfiber wrapped sponge. I poured straigt from the bottle and that was kind of a pain. I'm going to use a plastic ketchup/mustard bottle next time, for a more controlled application of the product to the sponge. The sponge should not be to saturated or it will run when you apply it.

As far as buffing and waxes that require a lot of elbow grease. They're great! I've used them on my cars and trucks for years. I'm just a bit older now and don't have the energy to do the work, or the desire to pay someone else to do it for me. I'm sure also, that the coating of wax left on the surface after buffing is not nearly as thick as the Red Max that I've applied.

One thing I wonder. Though Red max is great, I wonder if there's something even better at a janitorial supply company or a flooring company. Some of the floor finishes that are topically applied are incredibly durable. My grocery store recently went through a remodel and they stripped, stained and sealed the concrete floor in the entire store. I'm there every week, and the shine and finish are holding up very well, especially considering the foot traffic and the fact that we live in the high desert of Nevada, where it's always dusty. It's like wearing sand paper on your shoe's on a floor here.

I didn't mention prep work. It's very important for sure, but not all that difficult. I used sprayed on Greased Lightning, a garden hose and a kitchen scrub sponge. It did a good job getting black streaks off and did pretty well and removing the light oxidation as well. From what I've been told, Greased Lightning is actually a solvent, not a soap. Magic erasers work well for stubborn spots that the Greased Lightning doesn't get off.

I'm not saying this is the end all solution. Just expressing my opinion for an easy solution. No warranty expressed or implied. Cheers!
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I too just tried the Red Max Pro on my HR Admiral and I still can't believe how great it looks. Forget waxing...do this and you will never get the grin off your face.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:55 PM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I found this MANUFACTURER'S WEBSITE ON RUBBER ROOFS EXTREMELY helplful. Hope you do too.

Roof Maintenance
Old 07-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am a Meguier's fan. I found #50 at West Marine, so far it is doing a great job on the fiberglass in a one step process. I also am using Meguier's Vinyl cleaner and conditioner on all the vinyl side stripes. Doesn't appear there's much we can do about faded out stripes on the side of our coaches. Just eventually will have to replace as time goes on. All I have found so far is just using the vinyl cleaner and protectant. There's a lot of info out there, but you ultimately have to choose what's best for you. I have heard some good reports about the Poly Glow too.

Best of Luck
Old 07-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #23

I use two products on my MH - Wash Wax All and 303 Aerospace Protectant

I use these two products based on experience from owning a plane. I've used the same two products on my plane for over 10 years. Armor All does not get near either the MH or the Plane (because I don't own a can of that junk). You use the 303 anywhere you would consider spraying that Armor junk. You will pay a little more for the 303, but it is worth every cent. Don't believe me, just do a google of 303 vs armor all. There are reasons the airlines and military use this stuff.

As to the Wash Wax All - Once you start using it the bugs will come right off and it is easy to maintain the entire RV with their wand/mop. And, yes, their system is a bit expensive to start, but the refills by the gallon are not bad at all. You can do a 35' MH using just under a quart.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #24

Painted vs gel gel coat. Condition good vs condition bad. Different approaches needed for each. For painted, in good condition, here is my current process.
>Once a year wash with dawn, top down (painted fiber glass roof)
>Use CR Spotless to rinse
>Still dry top down with dedicated towels
>Zaino ZCS (I call it 'Wax On - No Wax Off') Just wipe on and walk away. It has very good sun protection.
(On previous coach with TPM roof, also used Aerospace 303)

Regular maintenance
>Griots Waterless Cleaner (bought several gallons on a 'New Product Sale'. I've never used others line The Solution, etc. - but suspect this works as well for cleaning. Does a good job.
>I have dedicated good quality micro cloths on an extension pole. I spary a bit on the cloth, clean a 4' wide section from belt line up. Flip the hanging dry part of the micro over for contact, and light dry. On light to medium road film, I can do one side with one cloth, in about 10 mins. I third cloth for the front first, the the back, usually the dirtiest road grime. Usually 20-25 mins for the full coach above the belt line.
>I then put on a third micro fiber pad, dedicated to this process. And spray Zaino ZCS and walk the coach all the way around, under 10 mins, and the "Wax On - No Wax Off" is done. I use it on glass too, as it is Rain X on Steroids.
>Below the belt line, basement on my coach, I use the Griots, and spot clean as needed for tougher road grime (tar, etc.).
>I've been trying the Eagle One Nano Spary wax, for fun. It goes on easy, does not need to dry, so quick wipe on, then dry off. I then go over this with Zaino ZCS, as it has proven itself to me. (I've used Zaino products on my cars, for over 10 years, I admit I'm a Zaino fan...)

Other then the yearly re-baseline cleaning, I find this relaxing, and away to have a good cup of coffee in the AM. I like to travel with a clean rig. I also find as I do this, I'm inspecting the coach and keep on items that I may not have noticed.

Best to all, be safe, have fun,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:08 AM   #25

Send a message via Skype™ to JMerenda
I'm really partial to Palmolive, but if that's not under the sink I switch to Joy.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:18 AM   #26

Al and Rick, what is solution ? Is this a brand name?
rsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #27

Lazy Daze never needs waxed to keep high gloss?

I have never seen a Lazy Daze RV that wasnt shiny!

Is there something special about their top coat?
Over the years I always take note of them.
Am i the only one who has noticed these
PalmSprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by allynne View Post
I have used Solution exclusivly on my '05 coach. It is a waterless cleaner does a great job and leaves a light wax finish. I can do my 43' in about 2 hrs., my car in 10-15 min.

No fuss no muss and paint looks like it came from the factory, unfortunately it cannot repair the orange peel.

Al Sawyer
'05 MADP

Also a fan of the solution, although I wax every spring with Turtle Wax Ice and then use the solution at least once a month, seems to be working good so far.

Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote

« No juice | Air bags »