Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
What products work best for wash/waxing exterior of RV?

We have a 2000 Pace Arrow Vision 37ft. I know I've seen a recent discussion forum here on what products on the market folks recommend for washing and waxing your RV's exterior, but I can't seem to locate it.

Does gelcoat work well or is there something better (and easier) for waxing? Since our RV is 11 years old it
could use a bit of shine as the decals are fading a bit, etc. Appreciate your help. Thank you.
meant2shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by meant2shop View Post
We have a 2000 Pace Arrow Vision 37ft. I know I've seen a recent discussion forum here on what products on the market folks recommend for washing and waxing your RV's exterior, but I can't seem to locate it.

Does gelcoat work well or is there something better (and easier) for waxing? Since our RV is 11 years old it
could use a bit of shine as the decals are fading a bit, etc. Appreciate your help. Thank you.
You should get several replies from people on this site. There are a lot of things that work on fiberglass. One that I have read about but not tried is Collinite #885 Heavy Duty Wax. I believe it is a marine fiberglass wax that is suppose to work well and last longer than other products. After waxing I, always use 303 Protectorant (can be used on just about anything) and it provides UV for everything you put it on (fiberglass, plastic covers, tires, etc.) Goggle Collinite, 303, etc.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #3

I have used Solution exclusivly on my '05 coach. It is a waterless cleaner does a great job and leaves a light wax finish. I can do my 43' in about 2 hrs., my car in 10-15 min.

No fuss no muss and paint looks like it came from the factory, unfortunately it cannot repair the orange peel.

Al Sawyer
'05 MADP
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #4

imho nothing beats a good old paste wax with lots of elbow grease. between waxes gel gloss wash and wax seems to work well.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by allynne View Post
I have used Solution exclusivly on my '05 coach. It is a waterless cleaner does a great job and leaves a light wax finish. I can do my 43' in about 2 hrs., my car in 10-15 min.

No fuss no muss and paint looks like it came from the factory, unfortunately it cannot repair the orange peel.

Al Sawyer
'05 MADP
I haven't used it exclusively but almost.... I'm really happy with it. My coach will go a year between water washes by just using my California Duster and The Solution. While traveling, I can keep the rig looking sharp by just dusting it and using the solution as high up as I can reach. That's where most ot the road dirt is anywhat and it keeps me off the ladder!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use RejeX on our coach 2 times a year and wash it with Turtle Wax Zip Wash as needed.

RejeX

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #7

Since we have a rubber roof and don't cover it in winter, the first wash of the season is with black streak remover. I then do a second wash with an automotive detergent (brand unknown since the label has washed off).

I haven't started a full body polish yet, but I'm planning to use a fiberglas treatment that is sold by West Marine. A brief test area came out real well.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #8

I've been using this system. Aircraft RV Waterless Wash Wax Cleaner Polish spray Detailing Care

Works good for me 95% of the time. The other 5% I use water/soap to get the heavy road grime off down low.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #9

We have a 2002 Itasca Suncruiser that we love. The previous owner kept the coach in immaculate condition inside and out. Never the less winter in the Florida sun took its toll on the coach's finish. I had been using 303 Protectant to try and bring back the shine and protect my RV from UV rays. This came with less than desired performance. While I believe 303 was giving me UV protection I wasn't getting the like new shine I was hoping for. This spring I tried Poly-Glow. This is a 2-step product that the first step cleans all the oxidation and stains. Don't skimp on this step. Any stains left will be coated over by the 2nd step. The second step is a sealant that for lack of better words is like putting clear coat on the RV. The results have been incredible. The motorhome shines like the day it came off from the assembly line. According to the manufacturer a wash next season and a single coat of the sealant is all that should be needed to maintain the shine.

As for soaps to wash my vehicles, I have always just used a little dish soap from the kitchen sink in a pail of water to wash all my vehicles. I do believe in using a chamois to wipe down whatever I just washed.
rini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:06 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Washing the top of the RV (Rubber roof)

So each season, we should FIRST wash the rubber roof, before attempting to wash/wax the body. Is the black streak remover what most of you veteran RVrs use on the roof? Do you just spray it on and then hose it off, or just wipe it off (no hose/water)?

It sounds like for the body, a Marine/Truck/RV wash and wax product does the best job, correct? Or should the wash be done first (after the roof), and then put on a good marine wax?

I recall folks commenting that they like Rainex for the windows - any comments or other products you liked as well or better? We bought some Heavy Duty Window Streak cleaner at our local RV dealership that got the hard water/black streaking off the windows pretty well. Is Rainex the best?

Any product recommendations for cleaning/sprucing up the plastic trim on the body around the vent and connection areas (heater, etc.)?

Before I got responses on product recommendations, our son and friend washed the RV yesterday with car wash stuff and then used Gel Gloss to wax it. Did a pretty good job but could have done a better job on the decals. Is there any product that will help "restore" faded decals? Or should we either live with them or have them removed and re-painted on?
I would expect having them repainted on would cost a bundle - anyone done that?

Thanks,

Susan and Jim
Merlin, OR
'00 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision 37ft
'97 Suzuki Sidekick
and our Westie girls - Chelsea (7) and Chloe (20 months)
meant2shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:22 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I have found that the cheapest lemon dish washing soap is the best on the autos and motorhome. I then use Pledge Multi Purpose or Rejex on them. On the Goldwing I just use the Pledge never wash it with water.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:22 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Search the Vintage RV forum for Red Max Pro #3.........ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Don't believe the black streak remover should be used on the rubber roof itself. Usually over time, the roof gives off a chalky residue that streaks the sidewalls and windows. The black streak remover cleans that.

To clean the roof itself, do not use any cleaner with a citrus or petroleum base, it softens the rubber and releases the glue under the rubber. I use Simple Green and a brush to clean the rubber roof and also the sidewalls. Supposedly you don't need to coat the rubber roof, but I use a Protect-all treatment, others use 303 protectant. It seems to cut down on the streaking.
If the fiberglas walls are chalky, a good fiberglas cleaner will clean the oxidation, lot of work. Once they are clean it's much easier to keep them shined.
The decals are hard to bring back once they fade. Applying a cleaner/wax to them seems to dry them out.

Hope this helps..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:16 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I really like the ArmorAll automotive wash&wax. Works really good for me. I wash when it needs it and I feel like it.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote

« No juice | Air bags »