Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2015, 09:42 AM   #1

What questions to ask?

Ok, the wife and I have been in a 5th wheel for recreation only. But now we are looking at buying a class a unit. Have looking at all that is said on the forums I have decided to start looking for a used Newmar unit. So the questions is what questions do I ask when calling about one that is not local? I am thinking of a Two or three year old Dutch Star. Maybe a 4369 floor plan.
I know to ask the normal things like smoke free? Pets? Accident free? Maintenance records? And so fourth. But what would you ask about a unit before driving or flying to take a hard look?
Help a Rookie out.

Tool Man

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2015, 10:13 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Are you a dealer, or private seller? Are you the original owner? Any extended warranty left? Have there been any LEAKS. Is your price firm or negotiable? Can you email me some pictures? Have you been back to factory for repairs? Do you have a valid TITLE and is the unit currently registered? are a few of the things I would ask before travelling too much distance. Ed

Old 06-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap-On Man View Post
Ok, the wife and I have been in a 5th wheel for recreation only. But now we are looking at buying a class a unit. Have looking at all that is said on the forums I have decided to start looking for a used Newmar unit. So the questions is what questions do I ask when calling about one that is not local? I am thinking of a Two or three year old Dutch Star. Maybe a 4369 floor plan.
I know to ask the normal things like smoke free? Pets? Accident free? Maintenance records? And so fourth. But what would you ask about a unit before driving or flying to take a hard look?
Help a Rookie out.

Tool Man

Creature features are very personal. When we bought this coach we knew, from experience, what we could no longer live with and with out. We went with a Winnebago product because of their factory support reputation, but the floor plan and features really caused me to hunt hard to find this rig.

The residential refrigerator is so much better than the standard RV frig of the past. Having a stacked washer and dryer is so much more convenient than the combination type. Having a full basement is wonderful. The last rig had the basement as compartments mounted on the slides. Okay for vacationers but not full-timing. Both of us have many hobbies and need storage. We have 6 AGM house batteries, a true sine wave 2800W inverter, 8KW generator... And, for me at least, Freightliner chassis, Cummins diesel and Alison transmission are a must.

For us this coach is wonderful. It is a true home on wheels. We have made a few minor changes and added a few things, but for the most part it is original.

One thing to keep in mind is that ALL brands have problems. Finding a good service center is the key to enjoying a coach. Most of the repair centers out there don't have a clue and increase the down time and cost unnecessarily.

Bottom line? Pick you creature comforts and then the brand that fits your criteria by best overall reputation. Many folks are brand loyal in spite of constant problems, so choose wisely through research before you take the plunge. Time is on your side.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:55 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
What year? There was a series of years in which the fiberglass on pretty much all Class-As was a bit inferior and leads to long term "crows feet" - crazing. It's cosmetic only, but definitely affects retail.

Where has it been kept?
Age of the tires?
What RECORDS do you have on maintaining it? Compare this to the motor's spec for required maintenance.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #5

In the " Files " drop box, blue bar under your welcome message , you'll find a " Buyers check list " down load the file and print out a copy.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:04 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This link will get you to information on new and old through their back model years.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:14 PM   #7

The 4369 has only been around for a couple of years. There are 3 floor plans that are similar going back to 2012.

Just to help you expand your search.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:13 PM   #8

Well, I learned one thing. If you see an RV you think you might want. Don't waste any time. Those Newmars sell fast. Really fast. :(

Tool Man

Old 06-17-2015, 01:51 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Great company and coaches. Good luck.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Creature features are very personal. When we bought this coach we knew, from experience, what we could no longer live with and with out. We went with a Winnebago product because of their factory support reputation, but the floor plan and features really caused me to hunt hard to find this rig.

The residential refrigerator is so much better than the standard RV frig of the past. Having a stacked washer and dryer is so much more convenient than the combination type. Having a full basement is wonderful. The last rig had the basement as compartments mounted on the slides. Okay for vacationers but not full-timing. Both of us have many hobbies and need storage. We have 6 AGM house batteries, a true sine wave 2800W inverter, 8KW generator... And, for me at least, Freightliner chassis, Cummins diesel and Alison transmission are a must.

For us this coach is wonderful. It is a true home on wheels. We have made a few minor changes and added a few things, but for the most part it is original.

One thing to keep in mind is that ALL brands have problems. Finding a good service center is the key to enjoying a coach. Most of the repair centers out there don't have a clue and increase the down time and cost unnecessarily.

Bottom line? Pick you creature comforts and then the brand that fits your criteria by best overall reputation. Many folks are brand loyal in spite of constant problems, so choose wisely through research before you take the plunge. Time is on your side.

Happy trails,

Rick Y

X2 I couldn't have said it more eloquently. Right on. /Mikey
Old 06-18-2015, 09:48 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikensallyt View Post
X2 I couldn't have said it more eloquently. Right on. /Mikey
Thanks for the compliment Mickey.

Rick
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:01 AM   #12

One question I always like to ask... When was the last time you used the RV? (with a follow up question of; How long was the trip (miles) ?)

It's one thing to have a nice RV.. but if it's been sitting for "awhile", that would seem to be a can of worms to me.. I guess it goes hand-in-hand with the question mentioned above, is it registered...

But... a few more could;

Are you the owner - how long?
If not the original owner - do you have the previous owners name?
Do you have a current title - in your name?

Snap-On Man ?? Are you a dealer? where is your route?
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:10 PM   #13

What questions to ask?

Lots of great input from you guys and gals. Something's I have not even thought of asking. The unit I had an eye was sold before I could even think about it. But I'll keep looking.

Been slinging chrome in the Snellville, Loganville, Ga. Area for 25 years now. Looking to make the next step to go see other parts of the country from the windshield of an rv rather than a tool truck.

Tool Man

Old 06-18-2015, 08:22 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
What year? There was a series of years in which the fiberglass on pretty much all Class-As was a bit inferior and leads to long term "crows feet" - crazing. It's cosmetic only, but definitely affects retail.

Where has it been kept?
Age of the tires?
What RECORDS do you have on maintaining it? Compare this to the motor's spec for required maintenance.
The crazing on the sidewalls is NOT "cosmetic". It's the actual surface of the wall breaking. The only long term cues is to replace the whole sidewall, or at least that's what Newmar has been doing. Our '02 DSDP had it during the 2 yr warranty. When I was at the factory in 2004 they said it was cosmetic and they would buff it out. They did but it came back in a couple years. By then it was too late and they wanted us to pay some $12,000 to replace the sidewall. We lived with it.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote