Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2014, 08:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn55 View Post
Cant make up my mind ...........what should I buy?
I have been shopping for a class a for over a year now and more confused than when I started. i like the mountainaire, american eagle the cornerstone but cant figure out what is the best .

which one has best resale ?
which one is built best ?
which one is easiest to own / drive etc
what size ?
450 ? 500? 600?

I love the eye candy of the tiffin allegro bus 45 or 37 but feel like i might have mor trouble with a tiffin.

im 55 and can rationalize doing everything with this coach but mainly just want to explore,,,,,,,motorcycle trips, wine country, tail gateing, PCH and on and on. my wife didnt wnt one till our son signed with West Virgina and we are in Austin........nows my chance.

WHICH ONE !!!!!!?????????
I am usually long winded on this subject but lack time right now.

I do want to point out that if you want to explore a lot of out of the way places in California you may be limited to 40' or shorter, rather than a 42' or 45' tag. You can still get a 40' tag, which I recommend by the way, but you'll give up some storage space.

Study this to verify whether a coach over 40' will allow you to do what you want to do:
45' Bus & Motorhome Map

And rather than buy floorplan first, I would buy chassis, engine, and construction methods first, then find a coach with the best floor plan within that subset.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2014, 10:41 PM   #16

I, too, would not recommend choosing the floorplan first. You can get an excellent floorplan but will the chassis/construction hold up? Study up on the stuff you don't see and then choose a floorplan. There are some very good manufacturers out there - and some not so good. Don't look at all the 'fluff'. Dig deeper. Good luck!

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn55 View Post
Cant make up my mind ...........what should I buy?
I have been shopping for a class a for over a year now and more confused than when I started. i like the mountainaire, american eagle the cornerstone but cant figure out what is the best .

which one has best resale ?
which one is built best ?
which one is easiest to own / drive etc
what size ?
450 ? 500? 600?

I love the eye candy of the tiffin allegro bus 45 or 37 but feel like i might have mor trouble with a tiffin.

im 55 and can rationalize doing everything with this coach but mainly just want to explore,,,,,,,motorcycle trips, wine country, tail gateing, PCH and on and on. my wife didnt wnt one till our son signed with West Virgina and we are in Austin........nows my chance.

WHICH ONE !!!!!!?????????
Longhorn55
You seem to have narrowed it down to some manufacturers that are notable. Floorplan is big part of the choice! Another large part of the decision is the Manufacturer and the dealer/service relationship. I have had quite a few coaches, the last one being a Newmar Essex. Had a very good experience with that company. After a considerable amount of comparing and research, I decided that the companies that are wholly and privately owned have a longer range business plan. Both Newmar and Entegra are privately run by companies that have little to no debt. After the 2008 turn in the economy, this became a major issue with a lot of Manufacturers that took the short road. I quickly decided that I would never buy a coach from a publicly traded company. It is like buying stock that is going to be shorted!......More profit=less service!
I think your instinct about Tiffin is correct. Bob Tiffin has built a cult like reputation. Read the Tiffin owners forum well! Some feel that the QC and service has turned maybe due to a "Growth Problem".........Competition is good for this industry. The more these good manufacturers compete, the more that the owners benefit.
Look carefully how the different companies price with options! Some will customize for a price.........others are the full meal deal with few options. After exhaustive thinking, I found that Entegra is filling a lot of the bill in quality coaches, also offering the only 2 year full warranty. I have a 2015 Cornerstone on order. A lot of coach for the money in a new coach on a Spartan K3 chassis with a Cummins 600hp ISX. I feel that you would be hard pressed to make a mistake with either Entegra or Newmar. They are both doing a great job in evolving in an industry that really needs that.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:39 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I say buy the best, biggest baddest coach you can. Buying some cheap little coach to see if you like traveling is no way to start in my opinion.
We bought ours not knowing if we would like rving at that level but did not want the coach to be a limiting factor in enjoying our travels.
I wanted a big bed, shower and plenty of room.
Buy one and enjoy.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:15 AM   #19

I agree with TMan. Going small and cheap can mess up completely. Things like a washer/dryer built in can make or break the wife's opinion of the experience. We hated going to the laundry rooms, no matter how nice they were. Our 205 Newmar has a Splendide built in that alone was almost enough to sell it. Last winter I change out the Norcold for a residential refrigerator. Much better.

You do NOT want to start with "camping" if your wife likes first class hotels. Big mistake.

As always, YMMV.

Tom
TLGPE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:39 AM   #20

We started out with a used Class C that my nephew and I split the cost of. Neither one of us was sure we would enjoy the lifestyle. Even going through all the struggles of playing with used equipment we still enjoyed the lifestyle and have continued to move up. Now, we have our fourth and next to the last unit (or so my wife tells me.)

The units you are looking at are all in the $350,000 and up range. If you jump into the big Class A pond and then find out you don't like the lifestyle you are in for a rather troubling financial shock. It's very easy to see yourself tooling down the highway in a Cornerstone or Mountain Aire with the smiles on your face. What isn't so easy to see are the problems that can and do arise. Can you handle a 45 foot motorhome? Will you and your spouse enjoy vacations that include setting up your site and making your own meals? Are you handy to fix those little annoyances that will crop up no matter what you do? Can you and your significant other handle being in less than 400 square feet for weeks on end?

You need to ask yourself a lot of questions to find out IF you want a rig and then determine which one you want. Consider renting a unit for a week long trip first and then decide if you want to go further. That's what we did and it served us very well.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:40 AM   #21

Thank you tax man
Old 09-20-2014, 07:41 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Floor Plan, Floor Plan, Floor Plan.

Does not matter what coach you purchase. They all have warts and problems. Check out which manufacturer has good support. Most of the time the forums are used by people who are dissatisfied. There are a lot of satified customers for all manufacturers who are not vocalizing.

Generally speaking the higher end of each manufacturers line will have better materials but not necessarily better workmanship. The same employees work on multiple lines from entry to top end.

Buying used should get you a coach that has been through the warranty woes (fixing the problems) but you hear all to often of the coach from hell that was dumped back into the market. Buying new will get you into the warranty support.

You have to be prepared to "fix stuff" for the entire life of whatever you purchase. Nothing built by man will last forever. It is said that travelling with your RV is like being in a constant 3.5 earthquake. It will shake apart everything given enough time.

You will be trading your money to enter a lifestyle that is IMO one of the better options you can take. Some things are priceless.

There is a lot of wisdom in this post. I suggest the OP read it several times and let it sink in.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #23

Just keep looking.
Sorta like a woman.
You'll know the right one when you find it......
Old 09-20-2014, 06:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
Just keep looking.
Sorta like a woman.
You'll know the right one when you find it......
Yeah, sure, just like a woman. They look their best at first and then once you make a commitment they start going downhill from there. Whichever one you pick, you better have a pro give her an objective inspection. And this advice goes for buying an RV too !!!
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty years View Post
Yeah, sure, just like a woman. They look their best at first and then once you make a commitment they start going downhill from there. Whichever one you pick, you better have a pro give her an objective inspection. And this advice goes for buying an RV too !!!
It is said that "a Woman marries a Man thinking he will change and a Man marries a Woman thinking she won't".
Old 09-21-2014, 09:42 PM   #26

What should I buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
I say buy the best, biggest baddest coach you can. Buying some cheap little coach to see if you like traveling is no way to start in my opinion.
We bought ours not knowing if we would like rving at that level but did not want the coach to be a limiting factor in enjoying our travels.
I wanted a big bed, shower and plenty of room.
Buy one and enjoy.
Thanks Tman there is no doubt I will do exactly as you suggest..........I am just trying to find in that group which one it is. cornerstone , mountain aire, eagle........seem to be similar. i have never regretting getting what i considered the best but i have no experience in RVs other than renting a few 42 footers and want as good as i can do. thanks for your feedback
Old 09-21-2014, 10:36 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
You must have more money than you know what to do with? Have you ever owned an RV before? I bet not. Why throw good money away. Buy a small used RV and try it out on the cheap. If it turns out both of you hate the life style it is far easier to sell a cheap RV than an expensive motor home. Less financial loss to. If you decide you do enjoy RVing there is always another deal out there waiting for you.
JMHO
People like you will never get it. Lots of us like buying new, nothing to do how much money we have, just what we like. We are on our 4th new RV and our 2nd new coach. I would never buy used and know lots who feel the same way. The poster is asking which one to buy.....NEW! Go gloat over your great used deals and how some poor guy wasted all that depreciation and how he must have money to throw away, after a couple more years when we trade ours in we need people like you!
Old 09-22-2014, 05:20 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Longhorn55,
Consider that you may be making the decision more difficult than it needs to be. Try this in order of importance:
1. floor plan
2. Will the coach carry all your people and stuff? GVWR-UWR.
3. Will the coach tow what you want to tow? GCWR-GVWR. Also check the coach hitch/receiver weight rating.

After these items are me, one can make the decision as difficult as one wants to make it.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote