Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2014, 09:56 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think this could be a rehashing of what was said but here is MY way of doing this.

1. Buy fuel from hight turn over operations. Personally, I think Walmart/Murphy operations are high enough to consider as a place to go.

2. Don't waste too much money on fuel additives that claim better MPG and performance. Once or twice a year I run an injector cleaner at double dose.

3. I always try to fill the tank up even for stays as short as a week. Air and condensation are what "algae" need to grow.

4. For times when the coach will not be moved for 30 days or more I make sure I have a full tank and while filling the tank I add the appropriate dose of Sta-Bil for diesel and a biocide like Power Service Bio Kleen. Only if I am concerned about sustained temp drops and perhaps having too much summer blend might I add any anti-gel additives but I haven't done that yet. After all of that I start the generator to get all that into the generator's fuel line as I drive to my parking site.

YMMV

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2014, 10:31 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
As a preventative measure I add a dose of BioBor whenever I know the coach is going to be parked for any length of time and it always parked with a full tank of fuel.

Even if an individual follows best practice concerning their operating system there is always chance of getting a bad tank of fuel. You read about it on this forum almost everyday. As a precaution I carry extra fuel filters and know how to change them.

I also have and use BioBor. When I was working in the mining industries 6 years ago we were getting ready to put a mine on care and maintenance the maintenance manager and superintendent did research on what to use and this is what was recommended by a majority of the equipment and engine manufacturers.

jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
My family has owned gas and diesel equipment for over 50 years, no additives or biocides, just keep the tanks full, not one fuel problem in all them years. Lucky , I guess?
Old 11-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #18

We live in nor-cal and don't use any additives. West coast doesn't have the fuel problems that the mid-west and east coast does. As stated by others, park with the tanks full and get your fuel at high volume stations. I stay away from the bio that flying J is now selling.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Not so long ago, if you stated you used an additive in your diesel engine, you could immediately expect an attack from the Additive Police. Then the statements would start.....if Cummins/Cat doesn't recommend it, you don't need it.

Well....it's nice to see a new attitude, even from Cummins. https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/ht...additives.html

The engines never needed the additives, it was the poor quality fuel that did. Many tests are indicating that fuel purchased throughout the country don't always meet government lubricity standards.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:53 PM   #20

Surprised!

I am surprised that none has mentioned the best solution:

Drive your RV periodically. We get on the road at least once a month and do a cross-country trip annually.

Have never had any diesel fuel problems.

Diesel engines love to be run hard and a lot!

JohnnyB
Old 11-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
What should I do to prevent Diesel Fuel problems?

In Florida it is hot and humid in the summer. I picked up the algae somewhere in my travels out west even with a full tank when parked. I found it when I noticed a loss of power. Opening up the fuel filter revealed a black slime. Biobar and several filter changes solved my problem and it is now a part of my fueling procedure.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:36 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
What should I do to prevent Diesel Fuel problems?

"......
Old 11-23-2014, 10:53 PM   #23

I have been using Power Service in the white bottle. Summer time i use it every third tank. In the winter every tank. I use my rig 10 months out of the year. Even had it out in -25 degree weather in CO for a week. Never had a problem with the fuel.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:52 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Not so long ago, if you stated you used an additive in your diesel engine, you could immediately expect an attack from the Additive Police. Then the statements would start.....if Cummins/Cat doesn't recommend it, you don't need it.

Well....it's nice to see a new attitude, even from Cummins. https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/ht...additives.html

The engines never needed the additives, it was the poor quality fuel that did. Many tests are indicating that fuel purchased throughout the country don't always meet government lubricity standards.
Excellent points...made me think about it more. I also think Cummins probably realized that if folks insisted on using additives they might as well oblige them with branded products. Still...that doesn't negate the distinction between an engine that doesn't need additives with a constant supply of "good" fuel vs the real life condition of fuel supplies where ever you go.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:08 AM   #25

Get a good 2 micron add on filter like the one from GDP. Glacier Diesel Power | Diesel Performance Truck Parts | Dodge Cummins Ford Duramax | - Product Detail
Granted, it is for a Cummins but you can get them for almost any engine. You can never have too good a filtration system. The larger micron factory filter/water separator get the big stuff, the 2 micron gets everything else. Fuel pumps are expensive,
Old 11-24-2014, 09:36 AM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Now this just confuses me even more. Most of these additives are for winterization, which I take to mean improving mpg at low Temps.

1 When you read info from additive manufactures, they make it sound like diesel fuel is crap until you add their product.

2 Is everyone on this forum using a additive?

Dan
1 I agree on that
2 No Anti-Alge additive for me. I do add a high quality 2 stroke to add lube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I think this could be a rehashing of what was said but here is MY way of doing this.

1. Buy fuel from hight turn over operations. Personally, I think Walmart/Murphy operations are high enough to consider as a place to go.

2. Don't waste too much money on fuel additives that claim better MPG and performance. Once or twice a year I run an injector cleaner at double dose.

3. I always try to fill the tank up even for stays as short as a week. Air and condensation are what "algae" need to grow.

YMMV
The best way to keep the air and water (that is in the air) out of you tank is to keep the tank filled to the neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
My family has owned gas and diesel equipment for over 50 years, no additives or biocides, just keep the tanks full, not one fuel problem in all them years. Lucky , I guess?
I don't think you are lucky at all.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Many tests are indicating that fuel purchased throughout the country don't always meet government lubricity standards.
What lubricity standards? Do you mean the lowered ones that resulted from their mandating ULSD fuel? Sounds like they want us all to go out and buy new DEF engines and stimulate the economy.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:00 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Power Service
X 2! I use this a little richer than directions.

Tags
diesel, fuel, vent