Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What should I do to prevent Diesel Fuel problems?

This is my first DP. I have read about algae problems but don't know why they occur.
What precautions should I follow to keep things running smoothly?
Is it important to always store the rig with a full fuel tank?
How about additives.
I line in CA. now but moving to Flagstaff in a couple of year, so there will be colder temps coming.

This is all new to me,

Thanks,

Dan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #2

Google Diesel Additive and take your pick, Wal Mart has good prices.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Google Diesel Additive and take your pick, Wal Mart has good prices.
Now this just confuses me even more. Most of these additives are for winterization, which I take to mean improving mpg at low Temps.

When you read info from additive manufactures, they make it sound like diesel fuel is crap until you add their product.

Is everyone on this forum using a additive?

Dan
Old 11-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Nope, only stabilizer on a full tank for winter storage to prevent gelling.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:29 AM   #5

Power Service
Old 11-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #6

i am in so cal. last winter/spring i had a problem on starting/keeping running due to water in the fuel. when i changed the fuel filter i noticed a lot of black flakes (size of a sesame seed) in the filter. i was not sure if it's algae. but in the past summer and up to now, my engine has been running smooth. in order to keep the fuel in stable condition, i added this to the tank http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
it's suppose to be good. time will tell.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #7

Biobor JF

This is what I use every time I take on fuel. Only requires 1 to 1.5oz per fill. Biobor Jf Fuel Additives - Products
Old 11-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #8

I suppose you should check with your engine manufacturer first for restrictions. I have a bunch of different diesels and do not use any additives except for one and that is a Kubota and the dealer strongly recommends an additive. The rest of my diesels are either John Deere or Mercedes Benz or Cummins. I doubt if an additive will do much damage as long as it is a reliable brand, but I have never seen any reliable studies that supported their use. I strongly recommend just adhering to a basic preventive maintenance program.
1. Change all the fuel filters often. And use a quality filter. Don't cut any corners here.
2. Keep the fuel tanks topped off when in storage.
3. Buy fuel from stations or distributers that have a high turnover.
4. Top off the tanks of stored equipment with winterized fuel if you are in a cold climate.

I was involved in an algae in fuel study a few years back, and I can tell you that the conditions that bring it on are what I would call abuse and neglect. It just does not pop up out of nowhere. Again, the above plan will pretty much reduce any risk. Algae gets its start with high outside temps, low tank levels and time.

As far as bio-diesel is concerned, I see a lot of negative comments on this stuff, but I have been using it in my equipment for several years and have had no problems with the bio content. I have had blown injectors, leaking pumps and blown high pressure lines, but I could not honestly attribute those problems to the fuel blend. I have a couple of DEF engines and will not use an additive in one unless the manufacturer has recommends it, and they do not.

Keep it simple.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #9

As your coach is new, your engine is designed for the newer ULSD fuels. So what you add to your tank would be less important then what a coach with an engine designed to run pre ULSD. All of the products recommended are good. I find the cost of the Biobor JF to be reasonable, and use it in every tank.

I will add to the other great input about keeping the tanks topped, high volume stations, regular schedule filter changes with good quality filters. One other are of higher need of preventative tank supplements, are areas of high humidity. High humidity coupled with higher temps, like down in the South East, provide a higher risk of problems.

For those with engines designed for pre ULSD, I recommend fuel additives that also provide lubrication. I use Optilube, they have different products to choose from. As mentioned, in colder travel areas, the winter protection for gelling is important. Either by tank full of fuel with the winter additives, or by adding winter additives protection. Optilube does have winter protection products too.

Best to you with your new ride, enjoy, and travel safe,
Smitty
Old 11-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
This is what I use every time I take on fuel. Only requires 1 to 1.5oz per fill. Biobor Jf Fuel Additives - Products
When storing, this is what you need, it's a biocide. Many of the products listed in this thread are not biocides and will not protect against algae when in storage.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:54 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Dan.....Congrats on your new coach. If it were me, I wouldn't do anything until you move to Flagstaff, except keep your tank full. The California weather is so moderate that you really won't have issues. I've had a DP since 2005 and never had a problem. I do use an additive, but for other reasons (lubricity).

Once in Flagstaff they will be offering winter and summer fuel. You might start using a biocide then.

Since we live in California, always having a full fuel tank can be important in case there's an earthquake.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
I suppose you should check with your engine manufacturer first for restrictions. I have a bunch of different diesels and do not use any additives except for one and that is a Kubota and the dealer strongly recommends an additive. The rest of my diesels are either John Deere or Mercedes Benz or Cummins. I doubt if an additive will do much damage as long as it is a reliable brand, but I have never seen any reliable studies that supported their use. I strongly recommend just adhering to a basic preventive maintenance program.
1. Change all the fuel filters often. And use a quality filter. Don't cut any corners here.
2. Keep the fuel tanks topped off when in storage.
3. Buy fuel from stations or distributers that have a high turnover.
4. Top off the tanks of stored equipment with winterized fuel if you are in a cold climate.

I was involved in an algae in fuel study a few years back, and I can tell you that the conditions that bring it on are what I would call abuse and neglect. It just does not pop up out of nowhere. Again, the above plan will pretty much reduce any risk. Algae gets its start with high outside temps, low tank levels and time.

As far as bio-diesel is concerned, I see a lot of negative comments on this stuff, but I have been using it in my equipment for several years and have had no problems with the bio content. I have had blown injectors, leaking pumps and blown high pressure lines, but I could not honestly attribute those problems to the fuel blend. I have a couple of DEF engines and will not use an additive in one unless the manufacturer has recommends it, and they do not.

Keep it simple.

To Dan, this is the best advice you'll ever hear.
Algae is not algae What is commonly called algae is actually formed when the fuel system is not properly maintained. Follow vraines advice and you'll avoid fuel problems, plus save money.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:09 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for all of the great advice. Now all of this makes a lot more sense.

I will rest a lot easier now.

Dan
Old 11-23-2014, 08:50 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dan,
Very nice ride, by the way....

Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel, vent