Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2014, 02:12 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
It would be good to do some research on the motor of your choosing. As most of the electronic diesels can be turned up or down in hp. rating by the engine mfg. service dept. (such as Cummins,Detroit or cat ) and most truck service facilities, with their diagnostic lap tops that plug into the vehicles computers...The engines have a power range of 75 hp and more depending on manufacturer and model. For example the ISX 15 varies 500-600hp. Plus they can change max.speed in both cruise control and non cc. mode., and several other features..Cost is usually 100.-200.00 dollars every time they hook up so have them do every thing you want the first time.
Keep in mind tire wear on the drive axle goes up pulling hills with more torque..
Hope this broadens your choices in your search of motorhomes...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2014, 07:50 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Thoughts about fuel milage

IMO folks worry about fuel costs too much. While they are a factor, they should not drive (hehe) a buy decision. I out run the trucks in the hills, even with my ISC. If I get a line of traffic in the twisties, which is where I really slow down, I find a spot to pull over and let traffic go by.

A gallon of fuel still costs about a half hour of time at minimum wage, just like it did 40 years ago. Buying a well maintained Coach will save you far more money than focusing on an engine and buying a poorly maintained MH. I track my fuel milage for the diagnostic benefit of the drive train, the feedback as to driving technique and for fuel stop planning. Cost will be about $.50 a mile no matter how I drive or where I drive it.

Each of us has our own priorities, of course.

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #45

If its one thing I have learned owning a 40' motorhome is the fuel is the least expensive and the least of my worries! Maintenance, repairs, tires, awnings, furnaces, air conditioners and mice have cost thousands over the years then there's sitting and storage combined with insurance and depreciation all add up to mega amounts of money over the years!

Drive the god damn thing and enjoy it before time runs out or find some other kind of money put! Lol
Old 01-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #46

Another cause of the lowering of MPG is the new fuel the gubmint has mandated we use. Those that used to get 9/10 MPG are now getting 8 in the same coach.

Slowing down is the best way to increase mileage.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Leo great point, buy the floor plan and make you like and the MPG won't matter.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #48

My 45 ft rig gets 6.0 mpg 500 Cummings 7000 lb toad up hill flat dont matter 6.0 mpg. Now if your spending the kind on money on a rig like your talking about a couple miles per gallon is not gonna be a factor pick what you want and go for it !
greg-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just came back from a trip Vancouver BC to Portland OR and according to the trip computer I averaged 8.1 traveling at 60-65 and pulling a Jeep GC. It is the 450 Cummins standard issue engine. Coach is close to 10k on the odometer so it should only get better?
Old 01-02-2014, 05:49 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcgill View Post
Just came back from a trip Vancouver BC to Portland OR and according to the trip computer I averaged 8.1 traveling at 60-65 and pulling a Jeep GC. It is the 450 Cummins standard issue engine. Coach is close to 10k on the odometer so it should only get better?
Trip computer cannot be trusted IMO. Just figure mileage the old way, calculator/gallons/miles driven.......and no, I don't think it gets better with mileage........... JB
Old 01-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
You are not the only poster to run these speeds. I find it interesting. I imagine your tires are only rated for 65 mph and your tow bar is probably only rated for 65 miles per hour. I know there are several states that have laws how fast you can tow a trailer/vehicle. Are you not pushing the limits of what your equipment was designed to do.
In my first coach these speeds were not safe with my current set up it's very comfortable to drive at 70+. My towbar is oversized and I always run Michelin XZA2 Energy tires. Also with a spartan k2 chasis is solid as a rock.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
IMO folks worry about fuel costs too much. While they are a factor, they should not drive (hehe) a buy decision. I out run the trucks in the hills, even with my ISC. If I get a line of traffic in the twisties, which is where I really slow down, I find a spot to pull over and let traffic go by.

A gallon of fuel still costs about a half hour of time at minimum wage, just like it did 40 years ago. Buying a well maintained Coach will save you far more money than focusing on an engine and buying a poorly maintained MH. I track my fuel milage for the diagnostic benefit of the drive train, the feedback as to driving technique and for fuel stop planning. Cost will be about $.50 a mile no matter how I drive or where I drive it.

Each of us has our own priorities, of course.
I agree, could put you into a Coma thinking about it.

And the trip computers are never right IMHO.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
Doh!
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:39 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post

And the trip computers are never right IMHO.

I finally added in the right correction factor so the VMSpc came out to the correct amount of fuel used. Now the mpg on it matches the hand calculated number. 8.4 mpg actual vs 12.8 on the factory dash gauge.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:22 AM   #55

Way too much time discussing a few mpg`s... Over the last 7 rv`s I have owned, I must have sunk over 250k $ in depreciation alone. If concerned about MPG one should buy a cottage, about same price as a coach and is normally an appreciating asset...
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:43 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post
Way too much time discussing a few mpg`s... Over the last 7 rv`s I have owned, I must have sunk over 250k $ in depreciation alone. If concerned about MPG one should buy a cottage, about same price as a coach and is normally an appreciating asset...
Humorous reply, and yet so very true. If I trailer my cottage though, I am likely to exceed state and federal width limitations requiring special oversize permits. I'll stick with my MH and quit worrying about mpg.

ChrisKW is offline   Reply With Quote