Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2014, 07:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz View Post
Get what you like. Don't be intimidated by the diesel crowd into thinking you won't be happy with a gasser. You can get a very nice one within your budget. 40k won't get much of a diesel. The ones telling you to get an older dp might change their tune when those 15 plus year old coaches start needing expensive repairs. Right now in my area diesel is 1.11 more per gal. than gas. That's over 80.00 less per fill up and my gas gets 8mpg, same as my previous dp's, same size tank. I've owned 2 dp's and now I'm back to a gasser with no regrets.

X3. Floor-Plan should be the deciding factor since you will be living/sleeping in it more than you will be driving it. BTW, I had 2 DP before I went full-timing in a gasser. Couldn't be happier because we got the best floor-plan for our full-timing needs.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2014, 08:31 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
In that price range I would have to agree with the gasser crowd.
They are great for the week end trips.
Sounds like you would have a few folks with you so the noise probably won't be a big deal.

I would suggest find a gasser with the floor plan you like.

Then if you find yourself traveling more than a few times a year you can always upgrade to a DP.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #17

Thank you so much EVERYONE! We will definitely take into consideration the floorplan and what will accomodate our family.

I appreciate all of you taking time to be so informative and welcome us to the group!

Lots of food for thought. I think we will sit down and go over what is truly important to us in making this purchase.

Any manufacturers we should stay away from that you all know are inherently troubled?

Has anyone heard of Rexhall? They are a small Southern California manufacturer and we have heard through the grapeline they are put together very well but that was also from salespeople who have shown us a couple used models. Haven't heard from anyone directly who were owners.

See you on the road...Wish us luck!
TheDownings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:20 AM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
one other bit of advise if you buy used. Someone else mentioned tires. Make sure you have good rubber.. A new set of tires mounted and balanced can cost in the thousands of dollars. you don't want that to be a first expense
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:53 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Love a diesel pusher, no comparison to the gas. But in your price range, you need to look at gas, IMO. Good luck.

Cheers.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your family is larger than 4, sounds like you may need a class c. $40k will get you a very good used C. I know they aren't as glamorous, but the floor plan suits big families better.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are a family of 5. Kids are 12, 10, and 8. We do some weekends, one or two week-long trips a year, and one two-week trip a year. So I know where you're coming from.
I would second (or third or fourth or whatever) what people have been saying about finding a floor plan that fits your needs. To us the major need was enough space to sleep everybody comfortably.
As far as gas vs. diesel goes, think carefully about that. To me, it's more than just ride comfort and maintenance costs. Towing capacity played a big part in our decision. With 3 kids, we have to tow a decent sized vehicle. Most gassers can tow 5000#, while diesels can usually tow 10000# or more. Cars under 5000# typically aren't real comfortable for 5 or more people.
There are ways to avoid the towing issue, so, like I said, think carefully. Diesels DO cost more, in initial cost, maintenance, and at the pump.
And I know I made some generalizations here, so some folks might disagree...
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:56 PM   #22

IF your #1 priority is more space for a larger family, and the kids are still growing, then the size of a Class A trumps how it's powered.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:53 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Like a previous poster mentioned, the Toad if you take one should be considered.
Unless you have 3 college linemen for children, a CRV will be plenty of room and well under the #5000 lbs most gassers can handle.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
So if you were looking in the 2000 to 2002 range due to budget, would you get workhorse or ford chassis...
Late arrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:41 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Late arrival View Post
So if you were looking in the 2000 to 2002 range due to budget, would you get workhorse or ford chassis...
Like everyone keeps saying. Make your choice based on Floorplan, features, and make.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:26 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
I looked at a workhorse chassis but twice the brakes had failed,,I don't want that to happen to me...wasn't that an issue with a number of models?
Late arrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:15 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late arrival View Post

V10
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You have had some interesting replies let me add mine. Everyone is right about the ride and driving of a class A diesel pusher it cannot be compared to. You however do not seem to be talking about doing 5 to 10,000 mile trips every few months. Floor plan is very important. I can tell you that most of the Class A diesel MH I have seen were very very good for sleeping two people. My Allegro Bus will sleep 2 adults and two kids easily. You are going to need something with either bunk beds or 4 slides so you can put air mattress on the floor. Cost is going to be a big issue. 40,000 will not put you in much of a diesel pusher and you are going to be doing a lot of repairs. The engine and the transmission may be fine but it will be a considerably older coach and other things will need repaired and they will not be cheap. Someone mentioned maintenance costs. I do not know how one poster figured slightly higher maintenenace costs for his DP. Read some of the threads a new radiator for instance in a diesel pusher will set you back around 3000.00 to purchase installed 4 to 5 thousand. High pressure diesel pump is good for another 3000.00. Oil changes are 27 quarts which is good for 150 + for just oil. If you are on a limited budget the Diesel can make a big hole. I have a DP and I like it but I was not on that tight a budget when I bought it new and I payed 5000.00 for a warranty to fix everything that might be wrong with a used unit. I also noticed towing issues mentioned. I do not know what everyone else is talking about. They mentioned 5000 pound towing limit on a gas MH. I even noticed the post about getting comfortable vehicles to tow under 5000 pounds. I tow a 2012 Buick Enclave that has 3 row seating and can seat 7 people. It does not weigh 5000 pounds. It is going to be close to the 5000 pound limit and you might be going up some mountains more slowly but from your post you are going to be doing weekend camping mostly. I noticed some gas mileage comparisons. I do not believe any math computations I see on here. They do not tell you how they drive. I can tell you honestly that I drive 65 on interstates. I do not see how slow can take off from stop lights. I floor it to get out in traffic and I get around 5 miles to the gallon out of my 400 hp cummins diesel pulling my enclave. For me to get almost ten I would have to let it idle down hills and have a tow truck take me up them.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote