Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2014, 12:44 PM   #29

I agree with all the comments Rodz made, and I don't really think it matters how much you are going to drive it as we have taken some long distance trips and it is no problem in the gas chassis. Some people mention engine noise, and ride as the big factor. Ours is relatively quiet and it drives great and does not get pushed around by the wind or big rigs passing. I think the bottom line for you is Space/Price/Quality so I would pick a MH that meets those needs, and do plenty of research before you make the purchase. We changed our minds several times but eventually ended up with what works best for us.

Also there is another post where a potential buyer was looking at the service records on an 2004(I think) diesel MH that had about $33,000 in repair work done. That's great if it is done before you buy it, but if it broke down after the purchase that would be devestating. Some diesel owners didn't think that was too bad for a 10 year old MH, which suprised me.

You don't say where you live, but you mentioned California. When we were looking at used MH's we went to RV Ready( go on their website for more info) and they had some good deals. The thing I liked about this place was that they go through every MH they take in and make it mechanically sound, some they refurbish the interiors, and they were all spotless clean. One thing they do that alot of other dealers don't is give a 60 day warranty bumper to bumper. They also sell extended warranties cheap that covers bumper to bumper for anywhere from a year to several years. My brother in law bought from them and bought 2 years of coverage for $1,500, which paid off in full when his generator went out. You can always buy anywhere and drive it home so look for places that will warranty it, which will give you peace of mind and keep you within your budget if things go wrong.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
I noticed some gas mileage comparisons. I do not believe any math computations I see on here. They do not tell you how they drive. I can tell you honestly that I drive 65 on interstates. I do not see how slow can take off from stop lights. I floor it to get out in traffic and I get around 5 miles to the gallon out of my 400 hp cummins diesel pulling my enclave. For me to get almost ten I would have to let it idle down hills and have a tow truck take me up them.
All I can tell you is I just purchased my DP a few months ago. We put over 2000 miles on it pretty much all at once. Each fill up was up to the fill neck. No toad dash ac was on 95% of time and cruise was set at 63mph. We averaged 9.8 mpg. I have no reason to lie. To tell you the truth I could care less what someone believes or the rv they purchase.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:25 PM   #31

Well we narrowed it down. Found a 2008 Fleetwood Fiesta LX 34N with Bunk Beds in our price range. It is the V-10. Haven't purchased it yet but looking for any last minute comments or advice.

Man, everytime I read, I am floored at just how much all of you care and give us some great input!
TheDownings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:16 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDownings View Post
Well we narrowed it down. Found a 2008 Fleetwood Fiesta LX 34N with Bunk Beds in our price range. It is the V-10. Haven't purchased it yet but looking for any last minute comments or advice.

Man, everytime I read, I am floored at just how much all of you care and give us some great input!
Good choice. I hope you enjoy it.
The destination isn't near as important as the journey.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:21 AM   #33

Quote:

We had a Fleetwood PaceArrow for over 12 years we purchased used and had very little problems with. 34 foot is a great size to get into state parks easily. Check anything you are interested in for water leaks. Look at all interior walls for peeling wallpaper or anything that looks like chickenpox. Check tire date codes if original it's almost time to replace.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:07 AM   #34

Also check load carrying capacity of the coach. Sounds like you will be carrying several folks and their luggage, and some coaches are low on load carrying capacity. You can figure on 500-1000 pounds of "stuff" (utensils, cookware, pots and pans, food, etc, then there are the tools, BBQ coolers etc, for the basement) that go in the coach before you put people in it
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:33 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Checked the specs and could not find what the roofing material is. I am assuming a rubber roof. Get up on the roof and walk around. Look/feel for any soft spots. Check around vents and AC. Those are the locations most likely to have leaking.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #36

Quote:

Check the color of the spark plug boots. Late 2008 the V-10's changed to a one piece spark plug (w/brown boots) The (black booted) 08's have the two piece spark plug that can break-off inside the cylinder during removal.

*retired certified mechanic
Old 11-15-2014, 08:46 PM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
All I can tell you is I just purchased my DP a few months ago. We put over 2000 miles on it pretty much all at once. Each fill up was up to the fill neck. No toad dash ac was on 95% of time and cruise was set at 63mph. We averaged 9.8 mpg. I have no reason to lie. To tell you the truth I could care less what someone believes or the rv they purchase.
Did not say you were lieing. I just said it is impossible for me to get that kind of mileage. First 6 months I owned my coach I logged the mileage, and amount of diesel purchased every time I put diesel in the MH. this incluced a 4000 mile round trip to California. I looked at the amount used for the entire time period and the mileage. I got around 5.5 miles per gallon average. What mileage other people get is what they get. I just want to make sure that someone on a limited budget does not see people getting 10 or 11 mpg and use that as part of the computation. The coach they might buy might get 5.5 like I do.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:37 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Did not say you were lieing. I just said it is impossible for me to get that kind of mileage. First 6 months I owned my coach I logged the mileage, and amount of diesel purchased every time I put diesel in the MH. this incluced a 4000 mile round trip to California. I looked at the amount used for the entire time period and the mileage. I got around 5.5 miles per gallon average. What mileage other people get is what they get. I just want to make sure that someone on a limited budget does not see people getting 10 or 11 mpg and use that as part of the computation. The coach they might buy might get 5.5 like I do.
The best I ever got on my Winnebago Journey 350 hp Cat was 9.5 mpg. That was on flat roads, no hills or wind and 60 mph. Most of the time it was 8 or less. Much less in hills and windy conditions or 70 mph.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #39

I didn't see where trak bars were mentioned. They are great add on for handling, back and front. And, make sure the generator is in good shape. Will you be pulling a trailer? Does it have a brake controller installed? Good luck and have a great journey.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote