Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
return to the scene of the crime?

2004 Monaco Monarch
Blueox, SMI, 1990 Wrangler YJ
mfire1339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2014, 12:11 PM   #30
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
the question was hypothetical

My in-laws we're just involved in an auto crash and were seriously injured. My mind imagined what I would do if I was involved in such a situation. Some great advice here:

[QUOTE=sirpurrcival;1952930]Let's be real here. Regardless of how careful any of us here are as drivers, accidents can and do happen. I agree with RickO.
Check yourselves
Check the other vehicle occupants
Call the authorities
Don't admit guilt under any circumstances or try to assign blame (best to avoid confrontations)
Don't pronounce yourself healthy either. Just stay quiet on the matter and see what shows up in the next day or so. Sometimes the full extent of injuries are not known especially when the adrenaline is pumping.

Be sure to give yourself some breathing room. Accidents can be scary and unsettling and you may find yourself reacting physiologically and cognitively. In short, you may not be at your brightest right after an accident (shock). Keep it simple! Just stick to the facts and leave interpretations to the police, insurance companies and the like."

All I'm saying is have a plan in the event something like this happens to you! Maybe have a checklist like most of us do on startup each day because I'm sure were not going to be thinking straight. Thanks to all for your valuable input.

2008 Fleetwood Southwind
W22 Workhorse Chassis 8.1L Chev Vortec
Allison 1000 transmission
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #31
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you to everyone who actually read the original OP's question and offered some answers. I did not see anything that indicated to me that he was planning on, or afraid of, having an accident. He may have given some bad examples of what can go through the mind when driving, but let's give him a break.
Some good advice in both prevention and procedures when prevention does not work - and hope the time for the latter never comes.
Neil, Lin, and our furry companions, Ashby and Cody. 06 National Surf Side.
demoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:49 PM   #32
To answer your question....
You come to a stop in as safe a place as possible. Set emergency lights. And check for injuries. Then notify law enforcement.
2008 Tundra DC, 5.7L, Airlift 5000 Airbags
2013 Rockwood 8282WS
Signature Untralight Diamond Package
davendeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #33
Almost always true, but there is also the possibility of "Contributory negligence". Years ago, I had another driver's insurance company try to accuse me of this after he had turned right in front of me and even said to the police "I thought I could make it". They asked me repeatedly what the speed limit was, how fast was I driving, did I see the other car, and to make a recorded statement; which I agreed to, but they really got upset when I read the facts verbatim from the police report. Always get a police report. In KY, I think you are required to do this if the damage is over $300. You can kick something now and cause more damage than this...

I'm not a lawyer, and didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but think contributory negligence might come into play if a dash camera showed someone very aggressively cutting in front of a motorhome, and then getting hit from behind.

Originally Posted by spritz View Post
...Remember that your at fault for a rear end collision, because your not in control of your vehicle.
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:01 PM   #34
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, first check to see how badly the other party is injured. DO NOT ADD to the injuries though if you have no training. Call the police, If you are blocking the road and the vehicles CAN be moved get ye to the shoulder so as to not cause even more accidents... Contact your insurance and make sure you bank account is full cause odds are you will be sued.

Oh, and yesterday.. That would have been a good time to put brakes in your towed.

In 99plus percent of rear end crashes it is the rear ender who is at fault.. In the rest,, Well there can be extenuating circumstances like the idiot in front of you slamming it in REVERSE and backing into you.

Once you have informed the ESO (Emergency Services Operator or 9-1-1 operator if you like) of the nature of the crash and extent of injuries if any and done what said ESO tells you to do if there are injured... Locate your driver's license, registration and proof of insurance.. Cause you gonna need em.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:06 PM   #35
Fleetwood Owners Club
And above all blame someone else.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #36
If I hit or got hit, the first thing I would is get off the road if possible and call the police.

Do discuss the accident with any one except police. Make sure you have your drivers license and insurance card available if possible.
That is what I would do.

anneb is online now   Reply With Quote