Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #15

Seems to me that there are a lot of folks living in glass houses here.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2014, 09:27 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
...... The best advice that iI was given was by the salesman who sold us our MH. He said simply "don't drive it like a car". He was right.
X2 I agree with you and him.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #17

Carolina Campers
As said, take care of the affected people and call for assistance if anyone is injured. Call the police and get a report filed. Tell the officer what happened without lying or withholding the truth. Then stop worrying about it. Let the insurance carriers resolve the rest. Learn from your mistakes.

Don't let those people fool you when they try to make you feel inferior just because you had an accident. They are just not admitting that mistakes can happen to us all, or they are ignorant enough to think that they could never be involved in an accident.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
As said, take care of the affected people and call for assistance if anyone is injured. Call the police and get a report filed. Tell the officer what happened without lying or withholding the truth. Then stop worrying about it. Let the insurance carriers resolve the rest. Learn from your mistakes.

Don't let those people fool you when they try to make you feel inferior just because you had an accident. They are just not admitting that mistakes can happen to us all, or they are ignorant enough to think that they could never be involved in an accident.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:46 AM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Let's be real here. Regardless of how careful any of us here are as drivers, accidents can and do happen. I agree with RickO.
Check yourselves
Check the other vehicle occupants
Call the authorities
Don't admit guilt under any circumstances or try to assign blame (best to avoid confrontations)
Don't pronounce yourself healthy either. Just stay quiet on the matter and see what shows up in the next day or so. Sometimes the full extent of injuries are not known especially when the adrenaline is pumping.

Be sure to give yourself some breathing room. Accidents can be scary and unsettling and you may find yourself reacting physiologically and cognitively. In short, you may not be at your brightest right after an accident (shock). Keep it simple! Just stick to the facts and leave interpretations to the police, insurance companies and the like.

And if you did make a mistake, try to learn from it so it doesn't happen again.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:22 AM   #20

Cry a lot because the lawyers are coming and they are not cheap!!!! Maybe you should just pay better attention to your speed!!
jerryhawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:44 AM   #21

I guess my best advice is slow down drive defensively, pay attention to the road not whats inside the coach. I survived 42 years of big rig driving doing this with no accidents or break downs . I must have done something right wouldn't you agree
coolhand108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:52 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
1. Aim High in Steering
Look 15 seconds into your future. (Don’t just look at the vehicle in front of you)

2. Get the Big Picture
Look for Hazards. (Other Motorists, Pedestrians, Vehicle doors opening)

3. Keep Your Eyes Moving
Don’t stare. (Use your peripheral vision)(Stop the fixed habit stare)

4. Leave Yourself an Out
Monitor the space cushion around you and your bike.

5. Make sure They See You
Use your signals- (Turn Signals, 4-Way Flashers, Head Lights, Brake Lights, Horn, Hand Signals) Make Eye Contact.

These are the 5 keys of the Smith System. It is taought by every truck driving school and large fleets.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:06 AM   #23

make sure everyone is ok . asses the damage to the other vehicle. if damage is not bad offer to pay on the spot. write a letter that states cash in lue of damages get it sighned. if not call law inforcement have them write it up and move on with your life. that is why we have insurance.
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:46 AM   #24

This is a proper response to the original question. The OP didn't ask how not to have an accident, he asked what to do if one did.

The only thing I would ad, if it's possible, is to get a witness and their contact information. Even if the impact was to a vehicle in front, there might be extenuating circumstances such as someone dive-bombing into the space in front of you (I guess this illustrates why a dash camera might be good).

Having said that, a separate thread on safe, defensive, driving is certainly appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
Let's be real here. Regardless of how careful any of us here are as drivers, accidents can and do happen. I agree with RickO.
Check yourselves
Check the other vehicle occupants
Call the authorities
Don't admit guilt under any circumstances or try to assign blame (best to avoid confrontations)
Don't pronounce yourself healthy either. Just stay quiet on the matter and see what shows up in the next day or so. Sometimes the full extent of injuries are not known especially when the adrenaline is pumping.

Be sure to give yourself some breathing room. Accidents can be scary and unsettling and you may find yourself reacting physiologically and cognitively. In short, you may not be at your brightest right after an accident (shock). Keep it simple! Just stick to the facts and leave interpretations to the police, insurance companies and the like.

And if you did make a mistake, try to learn from it so it doesn't happen again.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:57 AM   #25

Call for law enforcement and get a police report. The good 'ole days of personal responsibility and integrity just aren't valid much anymore.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:10 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
It has only happened once and that was bad enough that I had to hit the binders because someone pulled in front of me in a traffic jam, I don't know why he was in front of me for several miles after. I need a new horn now. I bought a Dash Cam and it was more than 100 bucks.
I have several 100,000 miles driving accident free and want to keep it that way. Have all your papers for the ready so you can grab them to show the officer.
Remember that your at fault for a rear end collision, because your not in control of your vehicle.
JMO,tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick & Hope View Post
1. Aim High in Steering
Look 15 seconds into your future. (Don’t just look at the vehicle in front of you)

2. Get the Big Picture
Look for Hazards. (Other Motorists, Pedestrians, Vehicle doors opening)

3. Keep Your Eyes Moving
Don’t stare. (Use your peripheral vision)(Stop the fixed habit stare)

4. Leave Yourself an Out
Monitor the space cushion around you and your bike.

5. Make sure They See You
Use your signals- (Turn Signals, 4-Way Flashers, Head Lights, Brake Lights, Horn, Hand Signals) Make Eye Contact.

These are the 5 keys of the Smith System. It is taought by every truck driving school and large fleets.
I'd like to add 6. Don't drive tired. You have a bed. Pull over and take a nap or make some coffee. Reflexes and judgment aren't at their best when you're tired or sleep deprived.

After the accident, pull out of traffic lanes and put out hazard reflectors. Assess all for injuries while someone is calling 911. Gather your wits and your papers, and be prepared to explain the situation to the police.
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:43 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
You should sell your coach if you can not pay attention and
concentrate on the main job of driving safely.

YAH What he said!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote