Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What should you do if you crash into the vehicle in front of you

What should you do? There are many distractions when you are going down the road. Re-calculating - re-calculating! Sometimes you don't apply the brakes in time to avoid a crash. What best advice do you have when surviving a crash and not thinking clearly? What should you do?

2008 Fleetwood Southwind
W22 Workhorse Chassis 8.1L Chev Vortec
Allison 1000 transmission
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
Damon Owners Club
You should sell your coach if you can not pay attention and
concentrate on the main job of driving safely.

macandphyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #3
Anything that distracts you should be removed from your line of sight and your correcting it. Let your Co Pilot do the recalculating and taking care of everything else and let the driver concentrate on one thing and one thing only. Keeping you and your loved ones and passengers safe as well as the others you are sharing the road with.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
I have found that driving my motorhome puts me in the same mode as when I ride my motorcycle. You constantly are looking for possible issues in front of you and on your side. Even looking for escape routes. On the bike your concern is yourself and passenger. In the motorhome you are concerned about hitting others (except some I would like to see go off the road). It I was in an accident it would be the same procedures as if I hit someone with my car. I hope it does not happen and plan on a dash cam this season for that retard that pulls out in front of me and I cannot stop in time.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Half n Half

Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
You should sell your coach if you can not pay attention and
concentrate on the main job of driving safely.
I have to admit, there are times when rear-ending someone with an RV might indicate it's time to hang up the spurs.

But, there is not one experienced RV'er who reads this post who can say they've never suffered a close call, where a panic stop was necessary.

So, let's dispense with the absolutes and stress instead that all of us need to constantly be on-guard for what I like to call "flying squirrels" darting in front of us and slamming on the brakes, or situations not of our making calling for sudden braking.

One way of defending ourselves: using a dash cam. For less than $100, this is valuable insurance against the type of accident where someone demands more stopping power than we are capable of delivering.

And, yes, that can happen to anyone.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:24 PM   #6
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I turned off the GPS because it got me lost in Maryland twice. I drive slow (55-60). Never over the speed limit. I keep my head on a swivel and never drive at night. I have my insurance papers, AAA cards, registration and any other important documents in one place so I don't have to tear the MH apart when I am looking for them in a panic. Always call the police or Highway patrol and never get into a discussion with anyone about what just happened. Always check for injuries and offer anyone who needs it a soft drink.
Denis, Ruth and Gracie
the K-9 Dashboard Ornament
2007 Newmar Baystar 3202
D in Davie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pay attention to driving and the traffic and nothing else.
If you have trouble driving the RV, get some driving lessons.
If you are still uncomfortable with the RV, you need to consider selling it before you are hurt or you hurt someone.

Sorry to be blunt, but I think it needs to be said.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #8
The possibility of that happening is why my DW is a true copilot. She handles the GPS, I can't even see it. Same with the TPMS. They are both mounted on the PS. If my phone rings she answers it. If we need fuel it is her job to find a station and to keep me informed of upcoming turns.
We consider our travels a team effort and makes it more enjoyable.
Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #9
Monaco Owners Club
I installed a dash cam in my rig 2 years ago for the very reasons stated here. Just don't have it running when entering a military reservation. Ugly LOL. But I did get to keep it, just not on the dash
Bob Retired Army Traveling alone now.
2008 Camelot 40 PDQ 4 slides ISL400 towing a 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quadcab
Western MT in summer, AZ, NV in winter
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:56 PM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
Your initial post indicates you may already not be capable of driving an RV. Your sentences appear to be somewhat cloudy, recalculating, disjointed. The fact you are asking such a question raises more questions your self confidence which is not compatible with driving something as complex as an RV. Sorry, but that is my opinion and I prefer to not share the road with you.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:12 PM   #11
I agree re getting rid of distractions and focus on safe driving. Keeping the right distance for the driving speed from anything in front of me is critical vis-a-vis road conditions, stopping distance etc. I do not speed and I adjust my speed based on the circumstance.

There should be very few circumstances where one cannot avoid crashing into something in front of them unless the other driver did something one could not avoid. In the military. I was exposed to many defensive driving sessions and it does work. Drive defensively all the time and be prepared for idiot drivers out there. In driving, discretion is the better part of valor. Backing off and not getting upset is my driving MO.

Re distracting devices, I set one GPS while stopped and my DW does the second GPS and makes changes as we go. She looks after music, audio books etc, does the phone, looks for fuel, campgrounds, stopping points and looks at the TPMS and anything going on in the coach interior.

We both watch the road and keep an eye on the rear cameras to see what is behind and what the toad is doing. But I really focus on safety issues and the traffic and conditions around me and upcoming circumstances.

I recently got a traffic CAM but we don't really look at it as we go. We do look at replays when stopped.

So the bottom line for me is: think ahead, drive defensively, anticipate and avoid distractions and avoid crashong into the person in front of you.

If you do hit someone, check to see if there are injuries and if necessary, call the appropriate support and do what you can to reduce any further traffic hazard or incident. Never get into any heated argument with the other party. It might defuse the situation by saying you have the incident captured on your traffic cam, if it is to your advantage.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:23 PM   #12
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
My answer was to take the pipe from under the seat and beat that idiot senseless. Really, the only close calls that I have ever had were from the squirrels who pull out in front of me and accelerate VERY slowly, or the ones who dive into my braking space when traffic was stopping. Seriously though, if you are really paying attention you get to the point where you just know it is going to happen and you can prepare (I.e. slow down) before it ever happens. The best advice that iI was given was by the salesman who sold us our MH. He said simply "don't drive it like a car". He was right.
Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by ramblinboy View Post
What should you do? There are many distractions when you are going down the road. Re-calculating - re-calculating! Sometimes you don't apply the brakes in time to avoid a crash. What best advice do you have when surviving a crash and not thinking clearly? What should you do?
Well, you're question was what to do when you've already rear ended someone and you've got a ton of advice on how to avoid being in that situation in the first place and only a little addressing your question.

To address your question directly, I don't think it would be any different than having an accident in any other vehicle. Make sure everyone in your rig is OK. Make sure everyone in the other vehicle(s) are OK. Have all of your documentation ready for the police when they arrive. Don't "admit guilt" at any time... just explain to the officer taking the report what happened.

However, your comment that "Sometimes you don't apply the brakes in time to avoid a crash" is cause for a bit of concern. I'd wager that if this happened to most of us even once, we would be doing a great deal of soul searching as to how we could have let that happen. Even making panic stops should be extremely rare when driving a big rig. I just don't get that close to anything in front which would put me in that situation. Close calls certainly should not become a common thing.

Best of luck to you.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #14

Is this a Feudian thing? Did you do this?
If so, what did you do?

What would I do? The normal stuff, the right thing! Serve the afflicted, as need be, and call the cops.

We that have RVs, have a ton of experience, overall. Your introduction indicates you do not, and question our capabilty. Well, you have mis-judged. We are capable. You?

Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote