Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What size compressor do i need?

Greetings happy campers!
Well I have winterized the MH ( I hate Winter!) and I used RV antifreeze to winterize the water system and next year I want to blow out the water lines instead.

From what I read I should maintain 40 psi to blow the lines out. I own two 12V and one 120V tire pumps. I assume these will not suffice to do the job, is that correct? If not, what is the smallest size air compressor that I can buy to get the job done? What size compressor do you use?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #2

Just so you know, my RV tech (who has a lot of experience and whom I trust) tells me that using air is more prone to failure than the antifreeze. Certainly you should put some anti-freeze in your toilet to save the valve.

There are two things to think about, pressure and volume. You can have 40psi but not enough air to push the water out. I suggest you need the 110v compressor to ensure you have enough volume.

distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Where we live I don't trust just blowing it out. I blow it out and then pump in the anti-freeze. At 17 below zero I feel a lot better knowing that I did it this way, and don't forget the outside shower if you have one. Its a lot easier to over protect than to have to try to fix a broken line that's in a space that only a mouse can crawl. If it doesn't get that cold where you live maybe blowing it out is enough.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #4

I store my MH in Florida, and the worst recent Winter had temps down in the low 20's for a few nights, then above freezing in the days. Even in this "mild" freezing, I don't trust air only. With antifreeze, you can be sure that the water is purged by watching each outlet turn color. There is no "proof" with air.

$8 worth of antifreeze once a year to protect thousands of $$ of equipment is the cheapest insurance that I can think of.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny367 View Post
Greetings happy campers!
Well I have winterized the MH ( I hate Winter!) and I used RV antifreeze to winterize the water system and next year I want to blow out the water lines instead.

From what I read I should maintain 40 psi to blow the lines out. I own two 12V and one 120V tire pumps. I assume these will not suffice to do the job, is that correct? If not, what is the smallest size air compressor that I can buy to get the job done? What size compressor do you use?
If you want to kill (2) birds with one stone, then get you one of these compressors. Keep it in a compartment and use it to keep your rigs tires aired up and also for blowing out your water lines if that's what you want.
Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more
Old 11-08-2011, 06:09 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thank you gentlemen for your advice!

Based on your feedback I have decided to continue with using RV antifreeze to winterize the water system. It gets very cold here in Michigan and I just don't want to take a risk on damaging the water system

Thanks again for your sage advice.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:22 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Choice well made for your area. Using less than 2 gallons to winterize our 36 ft. class A, we believe is a cheap insurance for our investment.

George Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, winterization