Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2015, 07:26 PM   #1

What size Solar Panel to install ??

Hello, I have a 2000 Pace Arrow 35', Ford, Class A, and I want to install a Solar Panel on my Roof, but, I do not know what size is best. I did replace all of my lights to LED.
Any advise would be gratefully appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Rocky

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2015, 07:39 PM   #2

Rexhall Owners Group
Hi Rocky,

You need to establish what your loads are in other words how many watts or amps that you are using. The solar panel must be able to replenish what has been used over night plus what is used during the day light hours. Not to hard really, just look at what you intend to run and for how long. Total up the watts (power) and purchase a panel based on that number plus a 25% extra capacity. I say this because the sun does not always shine a full 8 hours a day. This is why I installed 300 watts, it gives me the extra wiggle room that I need to ensure the batteries are charged under all conditions. There is a lot of good info out there on the net. I also made my panels movable so I can place them anywhere which is great when the MH is parked under a tree in the shade.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:46 PM   #3

Rexhall Owners Group
I forgot to add that LED lighting is a good way to go. I have changed all mine over including retro fitting the old florescence tubes.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:03 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Hey Rocky, I installed an 80 watt panel on the roof with 4-6 volt batteries. It handled Direct tv and furnace over night no problem. Best thing I've done to the rig.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:15 AM   #5

Solar Panel Size ?/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
I forgot to add that LED lighting is a good way to go. I have changed all mine over including retro fitting the old florescence tubes.
Hey Martin, I have done ALL lights including my two ceiling florescent fixtures to Strip lights, losing the old tubes and ballast.
I'm going to try it all out this next week.
But, the Solar Panel I was looking at a 100 watt one and maybe a Inverter 1800 also to install.
What are your thoughts on those two items.
Thanks in advance,
Rocky
Old 06-15-2015, 02:04 PM   #6

Rexhall Owners Group
Hi Rocky,
100 watts at 12 volts is about 8.5 amps. A 100 watt panel will work as long as it covers your loads. Purchase a mono-crystalline panel as they have the highest efficiency rating. As far as an inverter size, again base it on your expected loads. I have a 600 watt pure sine wave as all it is used for is computer, TV and DVD player. Which brings me to the next point and that is buy a pure sine wave not modified sine wave inverter. The reason being that some of the modern electronic items such as TVs and DVD players may not run on a modified sine, so my advise is to spend the extra dollars for the pure sine wave.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Hayne View Post
I want to install a Solar Panel on my Roof, but, I do not know what size is best.
You may start with 1 panel, but plan (i.e., wire) for more. In fact, plan to use as much of your RV roof as you can.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:08 PM   #8

1994 coachmen santara

new to this please excuse mistakes. need help with plumbing problems can not get water to rv from holding tank or city hook-up. brought this used and some one has fooled with plumbing connections.

Thanks for any help
walt
Old 06-16-2015, 12:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterj View Post
new to this please excuse mistakes. need help with plumbing problems can not get water to rv from holding tank or city hook-up. brought this used and some one has fooled with plumbing connections.

Thanks for any help
walt
You will get better response if you start a new thread with information about your model and year RV. This thread is about a solar panel.

Tags
install, panel, solar