Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
I agree w/ Francesca. In CA the speed limit is 55 if you tow. That includes RVs! So, since we pull a car behind the MH, in CA my limit is 55, always. I usually drive in the furthest right lane (if we're out of a city) or the second-to-right lane (if we're in a city with lots of on/off ramps).
Same for me.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #16

We normally drive between 55 and 62. We keep in the right lane unless there are on and off ramps. We are not in a hurry, nor ever hope to be. We all know MH's will go 75 mph, but will your tires? Most RV tires are rated from 70-75 mph. Why put them to the test?
Old 11-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
somewhere between 70-85mph in the left lane.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
I drive between 55-62 mph in the right lane, giving me the best mileage. If in an urban area, with 3 or more lanes, I'll usually travel in the second lane, leaving the far right for merging and exiting traffic. I ignore folks going faster than me or the speed limit, that's between them, their god, and the highway patrol. Speeding is for folks that didn't leave on time.
Now when I'm in Australia, I stay in the far left lane at 88-100 (kph)

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In California I keep it just under 60 when towing unless I find a rabbit to tuck in behind. Everywhere else I do a max of 70, or the speed limit if lower than 70.
I also stay out of the, on/off lane so I dont have to deal with the folks doing 40 trying to merge with the 65 mph folks (although it is fun to watch !)
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I stay in whatever lane is moving the fastest and sometimes 65-75 MPH and faster if I'm not paying attention.

James
Jimooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
somewhere between 70-85mph in the left lane.
I second that! WFO.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My max speed is 62. Anything over that and it just isn't worth it. Haven't been to CA so 62 is fine for me. Always right lane no matter what unless someone is doing less than 62 then I pass them and resume. As for cars merging well, not my problem. I move over for big rigs but for cars they either have to use the gas pedal or brake.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
The East is diffferent in more than one way folks. In Virginia and North Carolina you will see people towing in all lanes. In major cities the Interstate will be posted for trucks etc to stay in the right lane then just outside the city you will see the All Lanes Open sign. I (Nancy) am most comfortable around 63 MPH when driving. If the road is good 65-67 is comfortable. We had a blow out many years ago. I was driving at 73 MPH. I stay under the 70 mark now. We have had two blow outs while driving and did not have a problem but it you have a blow out with a steering tire it is more dangerous. Just something to think about.

Lane choice. I like the middle lane. We do not drive on very many 4 lane highways. Generally I will be is the middle lanes so that I am not constantly slowing down for merging vehicles. We both love cruise control and use it as much as possible. Of course in heavy traffic that is not feasible. If I had to tow on I-5 I would be a basket case, I-95, I-64, I-40 are bad enough.

Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Speed limit or 63, which ever is slower, GM limits the toad to 65. Road conditions and weather permitting.
Far right lane traffic permitting, if not, next to far right.
I will move left to let a truck, bus or rv merge if I can. For cars I maintain my speed it's up to them to merge.
I use cruise control as much as possible. I have nerve damage in my right leg and being able to move it around greatly relieves the pain.
I didn't know about the 55 in California. I have not been there on 40 years but plan on going in 1014 if it is still there. Thanks
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot View Post
I didn't know about the 55 in California. I have not been there on 40 years but plan on going in 1014 if it is still there. Thanks
If you're going in 1014, you'll have to speed up to 88 mph for the Flux to Capacitor to kick in.

EB Enterprises 121G - Flux Capacitor | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #26

In Texas we have 80 and 85 mph speed limits on certain roads, most others are 70 and 75 mph. We stay in the right lane around 65 mph. it's fun to count how many vehicles we get to pass
lms1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #27

So, getting back to California, if you're driving a tag axle motorhome (not us, btw), and not towing a car, you are NOT restricted to the "bus and three axle truck" 55 MPH limit? A bus with or without three axles and a straight truck or any truck/tractor with three (or more) axles whether they be dead axles or not will be limited to 55 MPH but a three axle motorhome is not? Was that an oversight by California?
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We travel 58-60 using cruise where practical. Here in the northeast there are lots of hills on Interstates so cruise is not always a good option. Far right lane most of the time, and in areas with lots of merging traffic, second from the right.