Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Talking

I usually drive 60 MPH unless otherwise posted but in some states we travel in require any vehicles towing a vehicle to 55 MPH. Real easy to play the game once you know the rules.JMHO.

1fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSJC View Post
Here in CA, the posted speed limit is 65 in the city and up to 70 in some outlying areas. But if you do 65, you'll be run over ~ traffic moves consistently at at least 70 ~ 75, with 80 not unusual.

We also have car pool (aka HOV) lanes...and if you're not pulling a trailer, 3 axial vehicles are fine.

18 wheelers and anything pulling a trailer are supposed to always be in the two right hand lanes...but those lanes are often the most broken up pavement.

My questions...
On a freeway (flat, no hills) what's your highest and lowest preferred speed you maintain? Do you prefer using cruise control?

Do you change it much if your pulling a trailer/toad?

As for lane selection, on a typical 4 lane each way freeway (#1 being the fast lane, #4 the lane closest to the shoulder), is there one lane you try to stay in?

Thanks for your contributions!

Mark
Mark, you might want to refresh on ca vehicle code. Three axle vehicles are governed by the same rules as big rigs and trucks, cars pulling trailors! You have to stay in the right lanes and 55 is the max speed. only busses are exempt, not motorhomes! I have seen motorhomes (the big ones) pulled over for exceding 55mph (My camping buddy!) Towing your toad is towing a trailor so max 55 also

stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #45

A 3 axle motor home and a 3 axle bus can go the max speed limit in CA if it is NOT towing. Towing limit is 55 MPH. A 3 axle dump truck or cargo truck max is 55MPH. A trailer bus is almost extinct, especially on the highways. The military was the main user of them. Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm might still use them in parking lots but I doubt it.

A m/c pulling a little trailer = 55 MPH.

I didn't learned a lot during my 33 years on the CHP, but I did learn who and what got ticketed for exceeding their speed limits.

I usually run about 62 and in the right lane. Middle lane of 3 lane freeway going thru town to avoid mergers, both off and on.

As a side note, almost all RV tires are rated for a max speed of 75 MPH.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #46

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I recall reading (A few years ago) a story of a motorist in CA who got tagged for "Obstructing Traffic" you see, he was driving the posted speed limit (one of the reasons I avoid that state. 5.00 gas, yet another one).

I usually drive 55-60 on the freeway,, If I drive faster the gas gauge goes down faster than the speedometer goes up .

Just remember 3 things
1: You are on your way to your funeral (may it take a LONG time to arrive)

2: That guy who passes you like you have the parking brakes on is on his way to HIS funeral.

3: He is in a hurry to get where he's going.

Advice: DO NOT BE HIM,, Let him get there first, years and years first.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #47

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If you're going in 1014, you'll have to speed up to 88 mph for the Flux to Capacitor to kick in.

EB Enterprises 121G - Flux Capacitor | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Isn't this 1012? I over slept, again.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When there's 3 lanes and alot of on off ramps I stay in the center, when there's 2 lanes I stay to the right. Cruise control as often as I can, set it 62 to 67, always pulling a toad(towd). Noticably better mpg while using cruise control!
Old 11-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot View Post
Isn't this 1012? I over slept, again.
Nice going Rip!
Old 11-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #50

I remember reading somewhere maybe on irv2.com that most large trucking companies have the trucks governed between 58 and 62 mph. If I read it on the web it must be true, no? So on freeways on the west coast I run 58 to 62 and most often can get behind some big rig, adjust the spped a bit, drop back a reasonable distance, and enjoy the ride without being passed by or passing a lot of trucks. That said, it sure seems there must be a lot of independent truckers out there because some of them almost blow us off the road.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #51

Country Coach Owners Club
Wow~! I would have never guessed at the responses so far!

My point for posting was to get a better "real world" view. While I believe that a motorhome (or bus), even 3 axial - but not with a trailer, can go at the maximum posted speed legally...I also realize that no 18 wheeler EVER goes 55, though they are required to.

So, I was just testing the waters on what realistic speed people were driving at, and what each of you considered was "acceptable" if not common.

I say that as I just drove 18 miles on a S. CA freeway today, and in that time saw 1) someone pulling a trailer in the #2 lane, 2) Multiple 18 wheelers going over 65, and three 3-axial coaches and buses in the fast or carpool lane (that part I think is legal).

Keep those comments coming! I've been learning tons!

Mark
Old 11-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
What *I* do:

1. 2 lane highway...Speed limit unless I see traffic backing up then +5 up to a max 65. That seems to keep everyone happy. I stay in my lane. If I get to an area where the speed demons start passing me, I will back off to speed limit to let them get around me faster. Repeat and rinse.

2. Interstate...62-63 unless traffic is real crazy then I will hold closer to 65. I stay in the right lane except in areas with multiple entrance ramps in which case I stay next to right lane when 3 or more lanes exist. If only 2 lanes...play that buy ear as needed. I have seen that a lot of company trucks are holding around 62-63 so if I get in a pack of those, I am happy to join it.
X2 + if traffic behind me backs up on a secondary road I try to find a place to pull over safely for a couple of minutes.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #53

Send a message via Yahoo to Tired-old
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSJC
Here in CA, the posted speed limit is 65 in the city and up to 70 in some outlying areas. But if you do 65, you'll be run over ~ traffic moves consistently at at least 70 ~ 75, with 80 not unusual.

We also have car pool (aka HOV) lanes...and if you're not pulling a trailer, 3 axial vehicles are fine.

18 wheelers and anything pulling a trailer are supposed to always be in the two right hand lanes...but those lanes are often the most broken up pavement.

My questions...
On a freeway (flat, no hills) what's your highest and lowest preferred speed you maintain? Do you prefer using cruise control?

Do you change it much if your pulling a trailer/toad?

As for lane selection, on a typical 4 lane each way freeway (#1 being the fast lane, #4 the lane closest to the shoulder), is there one lane you try to stay in?

Thanks for your contributions!

Mark
65 on interstate. I don't want to be part of "the pack"! Use the cruise. In urban areas and on an interstate, the number two lane. That let's others get on the road without having to deal with me. And, I don't have to speed up - slow down to avoid them.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #54

Send a message via Yahoo to Tired-old
Just under 65, in the right lane. Exception - number two lane on urban interstate (let's others get on the number one lane more freely). Use cruise as much as safely possible.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #55

When I was an over the road driver my truck was governed to 65 mph, after 3 years it was raised to 68 mph. The owner operators were not goverend and could run what ever the speed limit was. For those drivers who stay in the middle lane and are going slower than the speed limit when the big trucks are only permitted in the 2 right lanes, I ask that you move over long enough to let them go by. Though you are able to run slower please remember they are trying to make a living. They only have a certain amount of time to get to there assigned time for pick up or delievery. If they don't make their time frame they must wait until they can be worked in. Wheels not turning no making money. wheels turning making money.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand

In CA you can NOT take any vehicle that is towing into the carpool lanes because you would be breaking the law (the law that states you must stay in the right 2 lanes) to get there.
Thanks being from virginia I did not know California rules. Some friends with Rv said they travel in the hov lanes in several eastern states from here to Canada

sellhomz is offline   Reply With Quote