Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #57

I've seen people do it, not as often as I've seen them in the #3 or #4 lanes. lol I always think, its only a matter of time until they get caught. I wonder which ticket they get stuck with cause its something like $275 for carpool violation but not sure if they also get written up for being out of the #1 & 2 lanes.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #58

National RV Owners Club
I have a 36' Dolphin and we toe a 1995 Saturn we live in California, when we travel for any length of time I will put it on cruse control and set it to 55 miles an hour.
Our cruse control will shift up and down by it self going up and down small hills.
I try an stay in the first and second lanes. I have installed an air horn and if people do not notice me when they are poking along coming on to the free way I will wake them up with my AIR HORN.
As far as gas mileage goes I get about 7 miles going down hill with the wind in back of me and that is a true statement.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:51 PM   #59

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
I agree w/ Francesca. In CA the speed limit is 55 if you tow. That includes RVs! So, since we pull a car behind the MH, in CA my limit is 55, always. I usually drive in the furthest right lane (if we're out of a city) or the second-to-right lane (if we're in a city with lots of on/off ramps).
i found this about car pool lanes for a rv towing a toad

Lane Restrictions
  • Vehicles towing any vehicle must stay in the farthest right-hand lane. Right turns on red are allowed. RVs and tow vehicles can use a carpool lane if three or more passengers are riding in the vehicle.

mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:42 PM   #60

I would like to know where that was found & how do you get into the carpool lane (which would usually be lane #3 or more) when you're only allowed in #1 & #2 lanes?
Old 11-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand View Post
I would like to know where that was found & how do you get into the carpool lane (which would usually be lane #3 or more) when you're only allowed in #1 & #2 lanes?
Bureaucracy doesn't have to supply logic, just rules.

In BC I was told by an RCMP traffic services officer that we can use the HOV lanes in our motorhome if we have enough people aboard to qualify for use. The other thing is you have to pay attention to the HOV lanes as the number to qualify changes place to place.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:01 AM   #62

55 Mph without any cruise control on! Far right lane, unless the road is really broken up. Then I'll try to stay in the right lane but may have to move one lane to the left until the road clears up.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodGlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:46 AM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
I normally drive at about 62 mph. As far as I can remember we dont have HOV lanes in Michigan but I am normally in the far right lane anyway (except to pass). We have 70mph speeds on the freeways except for in the cities (55mph). The road conditions are getting better (witness all the road construction in the summer) but we do allow the highest vehicle weight of any state in the nation (160,000# GVW- the double bottom gravel haulers take advantage of this) and that tends to mangle the right lane a bit faster after the pavemant gets replaced. What suprises me is that with the gas prices on the left coast, that so many people drive at the gas guzzelling speeds.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:49 AM   #64

Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We usually stay at 60-62 MPH, right lane unless rough pavement, next lane over in areas with lots of ramps.
Mickey Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand
I guess the same logic applies to how you use a left exit on I-64 there are 4 lanes around Richmond and DC. So the logic us you are transitioning through those lanes. Some of our HOV are separate middle roads and others are just the far left lanes marked Hov-2
sellhomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #66

At the 60 & 10 split I have to get to the left but am allowed to by law within I believe 2 miles of the split. Never heard of a vehicle towing being allowed in the carpool lanes.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #67

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by codgerbill View Post
As far as I can remember we dont have HOV lanes in Michigan but I am normally in the far right lane anyway (except to pass).

What suprises me is that with the gas prices on the left coast, that so many people drive at the gas guzzelling speeds.
You are correct, Michigan has authorized them, but at present only has 5 miles of HOV on Michigan Ave. in Detroit.

It's not just the 'left coast' I find as I get into any metropolitan area the speed limit becomes a suggestion or lower limit rather an upper limit. I used to drive every day in 'Metro mode,' going what ever speed was possible. (even then getting passed more than I passed) I'd leave the city and have to remind myself to pay attention to speed instead of what the open road allowed.

Now that I'm retired I'm not in a hurry and stay to the right and go the speed best for my vehicle and wallet.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #68

I also do this, especially if I am going slower than the speed limit. Sometimes, I even get a friendly wave or horn honk...

I remember reading somewhere that some states (Colorado?) have a law requiring any vehicle to pull off of a 2 lane road if more than a certain number of vehicles are behind. Correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertnspike View Post
X2 + if traffic behind me backs up on a secondary road I try to find a place to pull over safely for a couple of minutes.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #69

We do it here in CA... although hubby takes it a little too extreme. On our way to Silverwood lake it was 1 land each way, up & down hills and super winding and he kept pulling off to let 1 or 2 cars pass... great but then we lose all of our momentum (cause he pulled off going up hill) and by the time we get back on the road theres another car or 2 behind us! lol I told him that in those cercumstances not to take it so personally and just wait for a good opprotunity to pull off to let people pass. We don't expect to be going that way in our motorhome ever again though as it actually scratched the side of the motorhome... we call it Arizona pin stripping. lol
Old 11-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #70

We travel mostly here in Washington State. Towing speed limit is 60 mph and that is where I set the cruise control. We can legally use the HOV lane if there are two or more passengers. Its amazing how many drivers think the HOV lane is the fast lane (-:

Jim

jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote