Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #85

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileOffice
Page 1, Post #9, Francesca wrote: "WHAT, exactly, is a "trailer bus", as defined by California????"

In the military "trailer buses" were called "cattle cars." They resembled a tractor-trailer, with the trailer converted by adding bus doors to the right side, sealing the back doors and adding bench seating. It was pulled by a truck utilizing a fifth-wheel and was employed at Marine Corps Recruit Depots Parris Island SC & San Diego CA, and Marine Corps Base Quantico VA (for officer candidates) until as late as the 1980s. The benches ran parallel to the long axis of the trailer. Passengers rode facing sideways. When the driver accelerates or brakes it's like watching dominoes. When I was at Quantico we'd joke at how they were designed for 60 candidates after lunch, 80 candidates after a run, or 115 Koreans anytime. No air ride on those bad boys, just leaf springs. Thank God they never went over 50 MPH.
We had the same "cattle cars" at Fort Sill, OK in 1981 for Army basic training and the could hold a whole lot more than 80 they packed at least 4 companies of recruits into just one of them and the driver didn't know any speed other than 70 or stop! (that was on the tank trails- Thank God, they didn't let em on the main roads) Standing room only and the finger(air holes) on the sides were what you held onto. Not sitting down for fear of being trampled to death.

4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2012, 12:06 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post

I remember reading somewhere that some states (Colorado?) have a law requiring any vehicle to pull off of a 2 lane road if more than a certain number of vehicles are behind. Correct?
I believe just about every state has such traffic impedance laws that require slower vehicles to pull over to let traffic pass on two-lane roads. I know for sure in California and Washington state it's five vehicles behind and probably is for most other states. In some states, it may be worded that you are required to pull over when generally holding up traffic behind you.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:21 AM   #87

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Once past the city with all it's on and off ramps I prefer the right hand lane moving along at a speed that matches traffic.

Around the city I move one lane to the left to avoid the traffic entering and exiting the highway.

I generally try to do the posted speed limit within 5 miles either way depending on traffic.

If I'm in a hurry I drive longer days rather then driving faster.

Top end for me is 70 when out west.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #88

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileOffice View Post
Page 1, Post #9, Francesca wrote: "WHAT, exactly, is a "trailer bus", as defined by California????"

In the military "trailer buses" were called "cattle cars." They resembled a tractor-trailer, with the trailer converted by adding bus doors to the right side, sealing the back doors and adding bench seating. It was pulled by a truck utilizing a fifth-wheel and was employed at Marine Corps Recruit Depots Parris Island SC & San Diego CA, and Marine Corps Base Quantico VA (for officer candidates) until as late as the 1980s. The benches ran parallel to the long axis of the trailer. Passengers rode facing sideways. When the driver accelerates or brakes it's like watching dominoes. When I was at Quantico we'd joke at how they were designed for 60 candidates after lunch, 80 candidates after a run, or 115 Koreans anytime. No air ride on those bad boys, just leaf springs. Thank God they never went over 50 MPH.
I have quite fond memories of the cattle cars. Not from being on the inside though. I pulled them on the back of a tractor at Fort Bragg, NC., when various groups of College ROTC cadets would come there for their annual training. If the class leader was cool I drove smooth and easy. If he was a jerk the ride was something they could write home about.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #89

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
I agree w/ Francesca. In CA the speed limit is 55 if you tow. That includes RVs! So, since we pull a car behind the MH, in CA my limit is 55, always. I usually drive in the furthest right lane (if we're out of a city) or the second-to-right lane (if we're in a city with lots of on/off ramps).
X2!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #90

I tend to stay between 62 and 65. If I am then 70 until I am clear then back to 62 to 65. The sweet spot for my rig is 62/63. And interesting - I know a truck driver who tells me his company governors the trucks to max out at 62. So 62 must be their sweet spot also. And to me the sweet spot is when the engine working but not too hard and fuel.usage is kinda maximized.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #91

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
70-75 interstate, 5 over on any other road

Always right lane unless passing, because the left lane is the passing lane, not the im going to ride over here because Im going the speed limit and nobody should be going faster than me lane
Old 12-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #92

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
70-75 interstate, 5 over on any other road

Always right lane unless passing, because the left lane is the passing lane, not the im going to ride over here because Im going the speed limit and nobody should be going faster than me lane
Does "five over" etc. mean five mph over the posted limit, regardless of where?

And if so, may I ask how you arrived at that as an operating rule?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #93

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Does "five over" etc. mean five mph over the posted limit, regardless of where?

And if so, may I ask how you arrived at that as an operating rule?

Yes 5MPH over posted on any county or state road, not in citys or towns. Mainly keeping with the flow of traffic.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #94

60-62 mph, on 4 lane road I drive in the #3 lane, far right lane way to busy vehicles getting off and on the freeway.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #95

Our cruise control is always set on highways and usually between 63 and 65. I will not drive in the right hand lane on three lane highways, always in the middle lane. Too many drivers DO NOT know how to handle cars entering or exiting the highway for me to use the right lane. Four lanes then lane 3 and again never lane 4. HOV lanes if they are posted "Two or more people"
Old 12-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #96

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I tend to stay between 62 and 65. If I am then 70 until I am clear then back to 62 to 65. The sweet spot for my rig is 62/63. And interesting - I know a truck driver who tells me his company governors the trucks to max out at 62. So 62 must be their sweet spot also. And to me the sweet spot is when the engine working but not too hard and fuel.usage is kinda maximized.
63 is the "sweet spot " for mpg and the traffic goes by only doing 70 expect the big rigs which tend to slow down as the price of fuel goes up. Stay safe
CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKnight View Post

63 is the "sweet spot " for mpg and the traffic goes by only doing 70 expect the big rigs which tend to slow down as the price of fuel goes up. Stay safe
60 when towing and 65 when not. In many states, you have to be in the right two lanes when towing. I tend to stay out of the far right lane, since all the meatheads tend to gravitate to that lane...
Old 12-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #98

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go5Hole View Post
60 when towing and 65 when not. In many states, you have to be in the right two lanes when towing. I tend to stay out of the far right lane, since all the meatheads tend to gravitate to that lane...
Gee, thanks for the complement. That is like saying all the overly aggressive drivers gravitate to the left lane, which might be a truer statement.

CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote