Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #85
Senior Member
 
4Knights's Avatar
 
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileOffice
Page 1, Post #9, Francesca wrote: "WHAT, exactly, is a "trailer bus", as defined by California????"

In the military "trailer buses" were called "cattle cars." They resembled a tractor-trailer, with the trailer converted by adding bus doors to the right side, sealing the back doors and adding bench seating. It was pulled by a truck utilizing a fifth-wheel and was employed at Marine Corps Recruit Depots Parris Island SC & San Diego CA, and Marine Corps Base Quantico VA (for officer candidates) until as late as the 1980s. The benches ran parallel to the long axis of the trailer. Passengers rode facing sideways. When the driver accelerates or brakes it's like watching dominoes. When I was at Quantico we'd joke at how they were designed for 60 candidates after lunch, 80 candidates after a run, or 115 Koreans anytime. No air ride on those bad boys, just leaf springs. Thank God they never went over 50 MPH.
We had the same "cattle cars" at Fort Sill, OK in 1981 for Army basic training and the could hold a whole lot more than 80 they packed at least 4 companies of recruits into just one of them and the driver didn't know any speed other than 70 or stop! (that was on the tank trails- Thank God, they didn't let em on the main roads) Standing room only and the finger(air holes) on the sides were what you held onto. Not sitting down for fear of being trampled to death.
__________________

__________________
Ron & Wendy-Kansas
94 Pace Arrow 34 ft
25 yr Army retired 2006
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2012, 12:06 AM   #86
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post

I remember reading somewhere that some states (Colorado?) have a law requiring any vehicle to pull off of a 2 lane road if more than a certain number of vehicles are behind. Correct?
I believe just about every state has such traffic impedance laws that require slower vehicles to pull over to let traffic pass on two-lane roads. I know for sure in California and Washington state it's five vehicles behind and probably is for most other states. In some states, it may be worded that you are required to pull over when generally holding up traffic behind you.
__________________

__________________
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:21 AM   #87
Senior Member
 
sdennislee's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,404
Once past the city with all it's on and off ramps I prefer the right hand lane moving along at a speed that matches traffic.

Around the city I move one lane to the left to avoid the traffic entering and exiting the highway.

I generally try to do the posted speed limit within 5 miles either way depending on traffic.

If I'm in a hurry I drive longer days rather then driving faster.

Top end for me is 70 when out west.
__________________
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #88
Senior Member
 
Wolfpack Fan's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileOffice View Post
Page 1, Post #9, Francesca wrote: "WHAT, exactly, is a "trailer bus", as defined by California????"

In the military "trailer buses" were called "cattle cars." They resembled a tractor-trailer, with the trailer converted by adding bus doors to the right side, sealing the back doors and adding bench seating. It was pulled by a truck utilizing a fifth-wheel and was employed at Marine Corps Recruit Depots Parris Island SC & San Diego CA, and Marine Corps Base Quantico VA (for officer candidates) until as late as the 1980s. The benches ran parallel to the long axis of the trailer. Passengers rode facing sideways. When the driver accelerates or brakes it's like watching dominoes. When I was at Quantico we'd joke at how they were designed for 60 candidates after lunch, 80 candidates after a run, or 115 Koreans anytime. No air ride on those bad boys, just leaf springs. Thank God they never went over 50 MPH.
I have quite fond memories of the cattle cars. Not from being on the inside though. I pulled them on the back of a tractor at Fort Bragg, NC., when various groups of College ROTC cadets would come there for their annual training. If the class leader was cool I drove smooth and easy. If he was a jerk the ride was something they could write home about.
__________________
Harley Ultra Classic (Geezer Glide) Rider, Retired US Army Paratrooper, fisherman, shooter. Proud to have served, proud of those that still do, or have done so with pride.
2005 National Dolphin 34'
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #89
Senior Member
 
Clayobx's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Willow Lakes RV & Golf Resort, FL
Posts: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
I agree w/ Francesca. In CA the speed limit is 55 if you tow. That includes RVs! So, since we pull a car behind the MH, in CA my limit is 55, always. I usually drive in the furthest right lane (if we're out of a city) or the second-to-right lane (if we're in a city with lots of on/off ramps).
X2!
__________________
Clay & Pebble.. Miss Butter our sweet Goldie (Jan. 2005-Jan. 2015) Sissy our Border Collie
2012 Providence 42 M. Spartan Chassis, 450 ISL
Ford Edge toad, RM All Terrane, TST TPMS, SMI Air Force One, RVM95....
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #90
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 2,454
I tend to stay between 62 and 65. If I am then 70 until I am clear then back to 62 to 65. The sweet spot for my rig is 62/63. And interesting - I know a truck driver who tells me his company governors the trucks to max out at 62. So 62 must be their sweet spot also. And to me the sweet spot is when the engine working but not too hard and fuel.usage is kinda maximized.
__________________
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #91
Senior Member
 
F239141's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Squaw Valley, CA / Fairhope, AL
Posts: 368
70-75 interstate, 5 over on any other road

Always right lane unless passing, because the left lane is the passing lane, not the im going to ride over here because Im going the speed limit and nobody should be going faster than me lane
__________________
Good Sam Lifetime Member 269454
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #92
Senior Member
 
Francesca's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Port Hadlock, Washington
Posts: 2,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
70-75 interstate, 5 over on any other road

Always right lane unless passing, because the left lane is the passing lane, not the im going to ride over here because Im going the speed limit and nobody should be going faster than me lane
Does "five over" etc. mean five mph over the posted limit, regardless of where?

And if so, may I ask how you arrived at that as an operating rule?
__________________
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #93
Senior Member
 
F239141's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Squaw Valley, CA / Fairhope, AL
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Does "five over" etc. mean five mph over the posted limit, regardless of where?

And if so, may I ask how you arrived at that as an operating rule?

Yes 5MPH over posted on any county or state road, not in citys or towns. Mainly keeping with the flow of traffic.
__________________
Good Sam Lifetime Member 269454
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #94
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 7
60-62 mph, on 4 lane road I drive in the #3 lane, far right lane way to busy vehicles getting off and on the freeway.
__________________
Pacatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #95
Senior Member
 
djbmsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Charlotte Harbor, FL
Posts: 1,806
Our cruise control is always set on highways and usually between 63 and 65. I will not drive in the right hand lane on three lane highways, always in the middle lane. Too many drivers DO NOT know how to handle cars entering or exiting the highway for me to use the right lane. Four lanes then lane 3 and again never lane 4. HOV lanes if they are posted "Two or more people"
__________________
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #96
Senior Member
 
CrazyKnight's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I tend to stay between 62 and 65. If I am then 70 until I am clear then back to 62 to 65. The sweet spot for my rig is 62/63. And interesting - I know a truck driver who tells me his company governors the trucks to max out at 62. So 62 must be their sweet spot also. And to me the sweet spot is when the engine working but not too hard and fuel.usage is kinda maximized.
63 is the "sweet spot " for mpg and the traffic goes by only doing 70 expect the big rigs which tend to slow down as the price of fuel goes up. Stay safe
__________________
Craig and Angie
2011 Monaco Knight 36 PFT
TRW steering gear, Front and Rear Watts Link's Rear X bars, Koni FSD's, CCV's, ATRO Bushings
CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #97
Junior Member
 
Go5Hole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKnight View Post

63 is the "sweet spot " for mpg and the traffic goes by only doing 70 expect the big rigs which tend to slow down as the price of fuel goes up. Stay safe
60 when towing and 65 when not. In many states, you have to be in the right two lanes when towing. I tend to stay out of the far right lane, since all the meatheads tend to gravitate to that lane...
__________________
SoCal Matt
1997 37' Holiday Rambler Endeavor (Cat 275, Allison 6 speed, Freightliner chassis) pulling a 2002 Prius
Go5Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #98
Senior Member
 
CJ7ole's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go5Hole View Post
60 when towing and 65 when not. In many states, you have to be in the right two lanes when towing. I tend to stay out of the far right lane, since all the meatheads tend to gravitate to that lane...
Gee, thanks for the complement. That is like saying all the overly aggressive drivers gravitate to the left lane, which might be a truer statement.
__________________

__________________
Ole and Anne Anderson, Highland, Michigan
'02 Adventurer 32V, Ford F-53, ours since 4/08,Goodyears, Konis, SeeLevel, CHF
'84 CJ-7 , 5.3 Chevy, 3" lift, 33's, Detroit Locker, Fiberglas tub, winch, hi-lift
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.