Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
So far I stay 60-65 and cruise controll toad or not. What are the rules for the hov lanes. As long as I have two in Rv here in virginia. I am fine and those are federal roads in the best shape. I use them as much as possible. Passed several state trooped and never been pulled even with toad.
sellhomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #30

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Google shall set you free:

V C Section 636 Trailer Bus
V C Section 636 Trailer Bus

Trailer Bus

636. A "trailer bus" is a trailer or semitrailer designed, used, or maintained for the transportation of more than 15 persons, including the driver, and includes a connected towing motor vehicle that is a motor truck, truck tractor, or bus.

With regards to speed limits the only one that really matters for RVers is the 2nd one on the list:[/LIST]
Unless, of course, you're not towing anything!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
62-64 mph in the right lane unless in heavy urban traffic with 3 or more lanes and frequent exits, then the next to right lane so as to avoid frequent merging traffic issues, right lane exiting issues and prepping for a possible left exit on unfamiliar roads.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #32

Please don't take this wrong,, (it's meant as a Compliment!!) but I am totally impressed from what I have read here so far ! For those that tend to drive the far left lane all the time no matter what, (mostly cars that I see) , if you have seen head on collisions like I have over the years, (last one just a couple months ago on I44 in OK) by someone going the wrong way on a divided highway,,, you "might" change your mind.

And I drive 62-64mph depending of course as others stated on road/weather conditions..
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #33

In Calif I try to maintain 55-58 w/Toad and in the right 2 lanes. Some times an 18 wheeler might pass but most of them obey the 55. Otherwise I travel @ 62-65 using cruise control on open highways or Interstates.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:02 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If you're going in 1014, you'll have to speed up to 88 mph for the Flux to Capacitor to kick in.

EB Enterprises 121G - Flux Capacitor | O'Reilly Auto Parts
What the kit doesn't include is a RE-Flux Capacitor for the return trip.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #35
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We drive 60 MPH everywhere! I try to stay in the right lanes with the trucks, but if the pavement is too rough and the traffic is light I will run in one of the left lanes. If I'm in a left lane I keep an eye on traffic approaching from the rear and move over to the right lane as they approach to pass.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #36

Didn't read it all cause it seemed like a lot of law quoting & I think you were asking more for what people actually do (cause I know we don't all only do the speed limit all the time ).

We pretty much always have my trailer with my dune buggy on it in tow. I know that the law is 55 but we usually do about 60 and we stick to the right lane except for interchanges that we need to be over to the left for & if we need to use the next to the right lane when vehicles are getting onto the freeway, so that we don't lose our momentum.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellhomz View Post
So far I stay 60-65 and cruise controll toad or not. What are the rules for the hov lanes. As long as I have two in Rv here in virginia. I am fine and those are federal roads in the best shape. I use them as much as possible. Passed several state trooped and never been pulled even with toad.

In CA you can NOT take any vehicle that is towing into the carpool lanes because you would be breaking the law (the law that states you must stay in the right 2 lanes) to get there.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
OK our 2¢. (4¢??)

We travel as close to the speed limit or 60 MPH as we can safely travel and we do indeed stay the heck out of the way of those who want to get there first. I (we) have found that the calming attitude of not giving a ratzz about who passes me (us) makes our trips a lot more enjoyable.

We may only do 300 miles in a forced march day but there is always tomorrow. I only use cruise now for when the horizon is visible at the furthest point it can be seen. Hilly country and cruise don't seem to go hand in hand very well.

Of course the usual caveat has to be stated in that YMMV.

Happy trails
D & D.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
What *I* do:

1. 2 lane highway...Speed limit unless I see traffic backing up then +5 up to a max 65. That seems to keep everyone happy. I stay in my lane. If I get to an area where the speed demons start passing me, I will back off to speed limit to let them get around me faster. Repeat and rinse.

2. Interstate...62-63 unless traffic is real crazy then I will hold closer to 65. I stay in the right lane except in areas with multiple entrance ramps in which case I stay next to right lane when 3 or more lanes exist. If only 2 lanes...play that buy ear as needed. I have seen that a lot of company trucks are holding around 62-63 so if I get in a pack of those, I am happy to join it.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
In 2009 we drove out west for two months. We drove 55 mph in the right lane. At times the right lane was so broken up that we moved over one lane. As soon as the pavement got better we moved back to the right lane. We averaged 8.36 mpg. I think that is great mpg for a 35 ft V10 motorhome pulling a car. At no time (during the 6500 miles) did I have anyone blow the horn or gesture at me for driving slow.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oh, and I use my cruise control as much as possible, keeps my speed nice and even. I even let it kick down on hills as long as it doesn't get much over 3600 rpm's. But on long grades where it can't hold speed, it seems to automatically kick off which is OK. Man I wish I had a 6 speed tranny though so I has an in between gear for the hills. Don't get me started though on folks that hog the passing (left) lane at less than normal traffic speeds.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #42
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
We drive 63-65 on the hwy, speed limit permitting, as this gets us the best fuel mpg and is comfortable/safe for us/other drivers. We stay in the curb lane usually or sometimes the middle lane when (3) or more lanes are available. This helps avoid those entering the roadway and usually puts us in a good position should the road split either left or right. Going 70+ pulling or driving a rv is an "accident" looking for a place to happen. For those of you that are that desirous of speed or can't wait to get where your going, try flying. It'll fulfill your impatience and keep others on the road safer.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote