Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
What Speed Do You Drive? Which lane do you prefer?

Here in CA, the posted speed limit is 65 in the city and up to 70 in some outlying areas. But if you do 65, you'll be run over ~ traffic moves consistently at at least 70 ~ 75, with 80 not unusual.

We also have car pool (aka HOV) lanes...and if you're not pulling a trailer, 3 axial vehicles are fine.

18 wheelers and anything pulling a trailer are supposed to always be in the two right hand lanes...but those lanes are often the most broken up pavement.

My questions...
On a freeway (flat, no hills) what's your highest and lowest preferred speed you maintain? Do you prefer using cruise control?

Do you change it much if your pulling a trailer/toad?

As for lane selection, on a typical 4 lane each way freeway (#1 being the fast lane, #4 the lane closest to the shoulder), is there one lane you try to stay in?

Thanks for your contributions!

Mark

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSJC View Post
Here in CA, the posted speed limit is 65 in the city and up to 70 in some outlying areas. But if you do 65, you'll be run over ~ traffic moves consistently at at least 70 ~ 75, with 80 not unusual.

18 wheelers and anything pulling a trailer are supposed to always be in the two right hand lanes...but those lanes are often the most broken up pavement.
Isn't the speed limit 55mph Statewide in California for anything with a towed unit?

Old 11-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I agree w/ Francesca. In CA the speed limit is 55 if you tow. That includes RVs! So, since we pull a car behind the MH, in CA my limit is 55, always. I usually drive in the furthest right lane (if we're out of a city) or the second-to-right lane (if we're in a city with lots of on/off ramps).
Old 11-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #4

In CA.
"When you tow a vehicle or trailer, or drive a bus or three or more axle truck, you must drive in the right hand lane or in a lane specially marked for slower vehicles. If no lanes are marked and there are four lanes or more in your direction, you may only drive in either of the two lanes closest to the right edge of the road."

Source: www.dmv.ca.gov/

3 axle TRUCK, not MH.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #5

Rexhall Owners Group
55 mph with four or more lanes staying in the outside lane. 60 mph on two lanes roads. I do not tow a toad or trailer of any type as I have removed the motorcycle lift and tow hitch. I will use cruise control depending on traffic and road surface, flat lands, etc.

Martin
Old 11-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #6

Typically, cruise control is set at 62 to 65 on interstates and always try to use the far right lane. I personally do not believe slower vehicles should cruise in any lane other than the far right. I really do not care how fast the traffic is flowing and our towd has a 65 max speed. If the speed limit is less than 60, then I will drive the limit.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
And also from the DMV:
Section 1: Introduction

The maximum speed limit in California is 55 miles per hour (mph) for the following listed vehicles (CVC 22406):
  • Any truck or truck tractor having three or more axles.
  • Any vehicle pulling any other vehicle.
  • A school bus transporting any pupil.
  • A farm labor vehicle transporting passengers.
  • Any vehicle transporting explosives.
  • A trailer bus.
So, if you tow a car or trailer behind your motorhome you're limited to 55. Doesn't matter the size of the car or MH or trailer...Any vehicle pulling any other vehice is limited to 55.
If you don't tow anything, of course, you can follow the regular posted Hwy speed limits.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I drive Plaid speeds just outside normal Space Lanes..
Old 11-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
WHAT, exactly, is a "trailer bus", as defined by California????

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
And also from the DMV:
Section 1: Introduction

The maximum speed limit in California is 55 miles per hour (mph) for the following listed vehicles (CVC 22406):
  • A trailer bus.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
WHAT, exactly, is a "trailer bus", as defined by California????
Google shall set you free:

V C Section 636 Trailer Bus
V C Section 636 Trailer Bus

Trailer Bus

636. A "trailer bus" is a trailer or semitrailer designed, used, or maintained for the transportation of more than 15 persons, including the driver, and includes a connected towing motor vehicle that is a motor truck, truck tractor, or bus.

With regards to speed limits the only one that really matters for RVers is the 2nd one on the list:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
And also from the DMV:
  • A trailer bus.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've found that our best fuel mileage is when we are travelling between 55 and ~62 MPH, so that's typically our range. We are almost always towing our VW on a car trailer behind us.

I try to keep it in the middle lane, and let anyone else who is "pushing" us, just go around us. On 2 lane highways, I stay in the right lane.

I prefer the middle lane when at all possible because drivers of other vehicles coming on and off the highway, in my experience, don't give enough consideration to a 12 Ton Motorhome.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #12

Geeze! Lot's of electrons used for a very simple subject... Any vehicle towing anything: 55 MPH, and right two lanes. Other than that, motorhome, car, etc: posted limit. Personally, I tend to cruise when towing about 60 mph, and when not towing about 68 mph.

Remember the podunk RV'ers mantra:
Anyone driving slower than me is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than me is a dang fool...
Old 11-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #13

Well when we retire next year, this could change!

With Toad
-In Calif I set the cruise between 58-60 (my sweet spot for MPG)
-Out of Calif, I usualy bump it to 65. If trailer/toads are allowed higher speeds then this, I've been known to hit 75 in our old Bounder for long stretches in Idaho (and I was being past liked I was parked...).

Without Toad
-In Calif I set it to 65
-Outside Calif, as above, depending upon posted limits. (In the DP, I very seldom go above 70 now, except for maybing picking up speed before a climb ahead, if road conditions support.)

Lanes
-Right two lanes, with the second over from the right my favorite, due to on/off ramps. (Though, it seems the Right lane sometimes does better in heavy traffic, due to people taking off ramps that allows open space ahead for short periods...)
-If only a two lane. I will stay in the right lane unless it is 'truck-orized' rough with pot hoes and such. Then I will go to the left lane, if no traffic. I watch and move over at the first sign of someone coming up from behind.

Now, when we retire and we are not 'destination/time constrained' on travel, suspect we will adjust these speeds down some as we also 'adjust' to no 'time clock'...

Be safe, have fun,
Smitty

Old 11-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #14

I try and find a speed that leaves me happy in the right lane without having to pull out to pass much. In California on 101 and 5, that generally means 62mph or so slots me in with the trucks. Outside California it can mean 66-67mph or so.

I get a bit better mileage at 62, but it';s pretty fractional, so if there's light traffic, even in California I'll do 67 if I'm in a rush.

Steve