Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2014, 08:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I just sold my 11 year old Travel Supreme and these are the items that we stating to show age when I sold it.

The MH was kept inside since new and was in perfect condition as for exterior wear, no dry rotted window or slide seals.

The drive line on a DP is good for 250,000 miles before even worrying about the brakes or drive line. Hopefully the transmission will have be changed of to Trynsend, if not that will need to be done.

The step motor went out while it was up for sale.
Both slide topper awning were replaced.
The cooling unit on the NOcold was starting to rust and I imagine it was short for this world.
The washer and dryer were starting to look bad, but still worked fine.
Front window curtain was showing sun damage.
Closet door rollers were wearing out.

Items I updated
Old CRT TV that will be need to be updated to HD to receive OTA channels.
Also a 10 year old Satellite system will be outdated and most do not work any longer.
Roof seams will be old and shrinking . I had mine covered with Eternabod Tape and never had a problem.

Finding a unit that has been stored inside vs one that has not will make all of the difference in the world.
I agree that inside storage plays a big role in how the coach looks after 10 years. It also extends the life of many of the exterior components, like awnings, window gaskets, skylights, etc. Ours have always been stored inside and haven't need much attention to the outside other than washing & waxing. I've seen 5 year old coaches that spent their life outside and looked far worse than our 12 year old one.

Indoor storage does cost money, but I believe it's at least a wash compared to the added expense of replacing sun and weather damaged parts. The nicest thing is that when you open the door to the garage you know everything will be as you left it. Nothing will have disappeared or been broken in your absence. No unpleasant surprises like finding there's been a water leak for the last 2 months, and now you have new life forms developing in the carpet and inside the walls.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
My rig is now officially 18 years old. We have owned it for 12 years. Stored outdoors in California sunshine and used regularly. 94,000 miles on the clock.

So far we have had to replace circuit boards in the Dometic refer, and Atwood water heater. Also replaced the propane regulator and one furnace blower motor. Roof ac/heat pumps work fine as does Convection/Microwave, lp stove and refrigerator. We updated the TVs and Satellite dome to current technology.

The engine hoses are orginal, the generator hoses have been replaced. Brakes are originals. We switched to Transynd for the Allison transmission although that is not a requirement.

We have occasional problems with the Kwikee steps but they are original. We have occasional problems with the interior step cover sticking, but it is original.

The rig has never returned to the selling dealer for service. After my short learning experience, it has not been in a truck shop for service in 7 years. I try to do everything myself.

We have no slide toppers as we have no slides. The four Zipdee awnings are still fine.

The most significant and time consuming issue is the peeling clearcoat paint which covered the entire fiberglass body. There is very little peeling where basecoat paint was under the clear coat. But lots of peeling and repair where only the gelcoat underlay the clear coat.

We still get compliments on the rig's appearance on occasion.

I would run this rig across the country with no worry except how to pay for the fuel to return home....

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
We've updated TV's, satellite system, washer/dryer repaired. The only wear out problem I know of is the slide toppers. The sun just ate them up. Our coach came from AZ. Fortunately for us, the former owner repaired most everything including a full body paint job. I think that's key if your worried about buying a 10 year old coach and anticipating what going to happen? Owner records are vital in knowing what work has already been done so that when your handed the keys you have some idea of what may lay ahead of you on your watch. I look at a MH like I look at our house: Maintenance is an on-going thing and your trading the real estate taxes for drive train maintenance. Fortunately, if your drive train maintenance is low you can use the left over for fuel!!
Old 01-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
I agree that inside storage plays a big role in how the coach looks after 10 years. It also extends the life of many of the exterior components, like awnings, window gaskets, skylights, etc. Ours have always been stored inside and haven't need much attention to the outside other than washing & waxing. I've seen 5 year old coaches that spent their life outside and looked far worse than our 12 year old one.

Indoor storage does cost money, but I believe it's at least a wash compared to the added expense of replacing sun and weather damaged parts. The nicest thing is that when you open the door to the garage you know everything will be as you left it. Nothing will have disappeared or been broken in your absence. No unpleasant surprises like finding there's been a water leak for the last 2 months, and now you have new life forms developing in the carpet and inside the walls.
In addition two dealers when appraising told me to add 10 % to NADA for condition. The buyer and two backup offers had no problem with the 10% increase. A part of the storage charges also come back on the resale in addition to the lower maintenance costs. NADA is based on "average" condition.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ours is old, a 1992 American Eagle, hubby bought it as a project and it has been. We think it had been maintained pretty well, then the recession hit and looked like for almost 5 years it sat in storage, that is really hard on any machinery. Pretty sure it was kept inside. It had had at least 3 prior owners that I found. Most everything was original on it. Inside pretty nice, outside is showing wear but I can wax it up and looks good.

We have done a lot to it, some for function, some for looks, most just routine deferred maintenance. I've run it 6k miles in the last 2 years and plan on a long trip this year. To Arizona from Indiana, maybe back to Florida if time and the motorhome permits.

We had alligator looking top and started with it. Took everything off and almost everything up top is new. After 20 years the old AC's worked but they were LOUD.
We cleaned and put Liquid rubber on the roof, new AC's, the skylights and vent tops were rotten, the only surviving original piece was the refrigerator cover and we put on an in place TV dome. We put new clearance lights on the front and have them for the back, just haven't gotten them on yet.

Next I added a new radio and Sirius radio, got to hear old Willie as we drive down the road. One new dash fan, the fan blades went, have another new one to put in when the other dies.

I made new lampshade covers for front and back and replaced the back 2 swing lamps they would no longer hold in place. Got a real deal for them online.

We have corian and the sink covers were included. Also they had a full set of manuals still with it. That was sure welcome.

The step had problems so we just got a new one installed. The couches are leather and I just need to clean them again with good cleaner, the carpets are good, kitchen is hardwood. Original frig and icemaker. The inverter doesn't work so we took it out of the system and wired that section in with the regular outlets, it could be put back in if we wanted too. I had to replace 2 of the 6 batteries and added a battery minder so it keeps the batteries charged. Of course as I go along I see things I want to replace. Next was I replaced the old mirror, it had a hole in it that folks thought at one time a clock was mounted there. The new is trimmed out with all beveled glass.

The w/d worked, it was original, but it was beating the motorhome to death and finally did something to itself, so last summer on a trip I got a new Splendide, its heavenly. We put in a new micro/convection oven, it was bad. I found a new folding cover for the kitchen stove, it was rusted, think it cost $20, and a rack for the oven it was missing. Also the little pads for the stove top legs to fit in so they don't rattle.

The awnings are fine, except I need to put on new pull downs straps.
I took it in and had all the fluids and filters changed before I drove it anywhere, it states 120,000 miles on the odometer.

I wanted all belts and hoses changed but this particular mechanic, I had used before, said some of the original equipment ones rarely goes bad, so some of the metal sheathed ones are still on it. He did change them on the genny and I did get new belts.

Then I had a new AC and new heater hoses put in, they were loose and some had holes. Was debatable, many said a waste of money but it works now and I use it.

My husband and I ordered the 2 power window mechanisms for the drivers window and passengers and we changed them out, what a job that was, wow! Even after taking the seats out, hard to get to everything. I replaced a light bar in the bathroom, it was rusty found exactly the same one. I took the medicine cabinet out, sanded and repainted the inside. This old motorhome had heavy quality stuff.
I replaced the GFCI in the bathroom. Also took the clothesline down in the shower and put in a new one, it was rusty too, again found exactly the same thing.

We decided to put in a new mattress, I had one made was awful, so sadly we replaced it and I use a different bedspread but kept the other one and put it away.

I cleaned all the old crumbling insulation off the motor cover under the bed and put the sound deadening and heat resistance product under it, can't remember the name now, we are going to clean all the rest off and do the same around the generator next summer.

Next was new shocks.

Hubby found the electrical pigtail loose on the AT box and rehooked it. we kept our surge suppressor and he fixed it inside the bay with the transfer switch so no one would steal it. There were some loose wires he tightened.

The pac brake was stuck and he greased it, had some piece replaced, can't remember what it was, something minor. On one trip I lost the chrome tailpipe piece so got a new one for that.

Hubby took the tow bar off the other motorhome and put it on this one. It has airbrakes so hooked it into the car and did whatever changes he had to do.

We put in a new water pump, the other started to leak, I asked hubby to put in a super quiet one and wish it made a bit more noise so I can hear it. Couple of months ago I got new steer tires as these are 10 years old, this week I'm getting the other 4 with long steel extensions so I can check the pressure on the inside dualies.

I just had a new front levelor jack on the front, hubby said if he had been home it could have been repacked but they don't. Also all fluids were changed again. And we found no one had cleaned the permanent K & N filter so got the cleaner and cleaned the heck out of it.

2 new flat screens also.

It's due for a good wash and wax, its really dirty and has been to cold to clean the outside, I cleaned the inside good.

So we have done a lot, but still much cheaper then a new one. Of course a new one with 4 slides would be wonderful but we can't bring ourselves to spend that kind of money.

So far no engine work and a new fan on the genny only so far. There are other things I want to fix, the docking lights, the floor lights inside, the air horn, the lighting in the bays, and I would like to have LED lights inside. I want new pull down straps for the awnings, these are getting weathered. The day/night blinds are still ok and the blinds in the front are original. I may make a new drape for the front for privacy, I turned it around so the sunfaded parts are out of sight, and I hand hemmed the curtain and sewed places that the thread had rotted, then washed them all.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Air Conditioners in my opinion. Good news new ones are fairly easy to replace and in the grand scheme of things are not that expensive. I replaced both of the 13,000 BTU Domestics on my 2005 class A Coach with 15,000 BTU Domestics and they will cool things down even in our hot Texas summers,

Plastic knobs, hardware starts to break and crumble from sun and heat as well.
Don, I have Coleman Mach 15,000 and 8,000 A/Cs and last year the rear A/C blower motor went out. During my discussions with Coleman, I was told they build their A/C units with a 20-25 year lifespan and to just replace the blower motor and the capacitor since the unit was only 10 years old.

Now, mind you, that's the manufacturer, but I elected not to replace it because I had several folks input on those units lasting into a second decade before replacement....
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:00 PM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=PatStab;1881293]
So we have done a lot, but still much cheaper then a new one. Of course a new one with 4 slides would be wonderful but we can't bring ourselves to spend that kind of money.

PatStab, I enjoyed reading your laundry list of things you have done!! WOW! Sounds like you are making it new again and hubby is a great MH handyman. Even if you wanted to spend the money for a new one I think you might get bored with it.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:12 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tires at about 8 years, replaced with Michelins since that's what I've had no problems with. I also went to Alcoa wheels and a larger size tire in front due to weight.
Refer cooling unit, replaced with the Amish cooling unit
Batteries at one month short of 10 years.
Replaced the slide covers with Tough Top fabric
Replaced the main awning after a rain storm in Fresno broke the old one, also damaged the paint so the replacement/repaint was about $4,400 all but the deductible was paid by insurance.
Now I have the parts to replace the cooling hoses and go to OAT coolant
Replaced both Fantastic vent covers as one broke a mounting boss off, NO CHARGE even though I upgraded to the double pane covers.
Need to get the OTR air con recharged or fixed if that's not the problem.
Replaced both TV's with LED (front) and LCD (bedroom).
Other than normal maintenance that's about it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Last year I had the entire belts & hoses checked for age problems. They changed the belt but said all of the hoses were still very flexible. I also had them flush the brake fluid since that was the year for it. Odd years get a brake flush. I have Transynd in the tranny and store it inside so it still looks new. The only thing that hasn't been done is the TVs. We don't watch them when out so still haven't bothered to change them to HD. We even have surround sound that DW hates.
bsinmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:15 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Agree, my mind, and don't look for bank financing.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #25

Probably the biggest factor is prior care and maintenance. We purchased a clean low mileage 2001 2 years ago and only have done routine maintenance and our own choosing upgrades (tv's, flooring)
Enjoy
Old 01-22-2014, 05:25 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Great List - Do BEFORE or AFTER agreeing to price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
ProjectPro.... i am a stickler to maintenance and that "BUYERS Checklist" is a good objective goal to achieve when evaluating a potential RV Purchase. It is in the FILES section of this Forum.
I am a top down approach person....Roof....AC...vents....windows and slides...interior...water system....bays....tanks....tires....under chassis....tires again....pull a wheel....bearings and brakes.....engine and tranny. Make sure everything is working ....fire it all up. Pump water thru it....flush toilets...heat water....evaluate the driving and handling (are shocks old) ....IF POSSIBLE and VERY COOL....pull the engine codes from the engine access port (see if there is any lingering code).
What a great pre-purchase list! Is it customary to make an offer pending final inspection, similar to a bricks-and-sticks residence? It would be really time-consuming to do many of the items before making an offer. OTOH, I would think that things like drawer pulls, door operation, support struts, step operation and the like should be examined before making the offer. Same question about getting an Qualified Service Facility (and is that the same as hiring an RVIA-certified mechanic's inspection)?