Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
What "STUFF" do you always carry on board

We are new to MH traveling, had a 10' camper years ago much less complicated. We have rented MH's a few times and whenever we had any problems there is always experienced rv'ers nearby that seem to always have just what was needed. That is why I was happy to find this site. We found a nice '92 Fleetwood Bounder 31' with very little use and are anxious to go. I have read and re-read all the manuals but I have a question. What stuff do you keep stowed full time or pack always? Full toolbox? mini air compressor? 12 volt impact? sack full of lightbulbs/fuses? bottle jack? if I carry everything I think I might need the rig would weigh 40,000lbs. what stuff have you needed in an emergency and glad you had or wished you had. My dad said all you need is duct tape and wd-40, if it moves and is'nt supposed to use the tape, if it doesnt move and is supposed use the wd-40. will appreciate any tips

captaindesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
I carry a complete set of hand tools I bought specifically for the MH. I went online a Northern Tool & made about a $300 order. I also carry a small 12V aircompressor hat is strong enough to air up the MH tires. A complete set of cleaning products including a 5 gal bucket & wipe & spray detailer. A colaspable ladder. Extra extension cords & extra sewer hose. A medium size shovel, we have spent time in snow & sand. The WD 40 is always good so as the duct tape, but I also have electrical cleaner & electrical paste, tape & connectors/terminals & volt/ohm meter. Cordless drill & flashlights. My own (as in nobody else uses this one) chair in a bag. Sometimes I even get to use it.
Basically you will get a good feel for what you need when you are out on a trip & want a tool , but have to borrow or buy it.

Dan Sees, Full Timing in the MH & Part timing in a S&B In Hampstead, NC
2013 Winnebago Journey 42e, 2014 Featherlite Car Hauler 3110 17.5', 2008 Mazda MX5,
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
Dan and I have a lot of overlap:
  • lots of lights and extension cords
  • collapsible ladder
  • complete set of hand tools bought as a kit for the coach (cheap ones), a big set of vice grips, and a tape measure.
  • variety of cutting tools and knives
  • Dremel with lots of cutting and grinding heads
  • Cordless drill/driver and a fairly complete set of bits.
  • 150 psi cable porter donut style air compressor - the big tires can't be filled with a 12v portable.
  • Tire pressure gauge - this is an absolute must have. I check the tires every day I drive.
  • 5 lb rubber mallet (just seems a good idea)
  • ball-peen hammer
  • voltage meter, wire, clips, fuses bulbs
  • duct tape, all weather electrical tape, silicon tape (expensive but very waterproof), some sealant, electrical cleaning spray (good for dirty connections on the toad and MH), spray silicon lubricant and WD-40 (which is a lousy lubricant), dielectric grease, various cable ties, velcro fasteners.
  • Propane heater that attaches to a small tank (helps in the cold)
  • Laptop and internet connection so I can look things up (probably the most useful tool).
  • A toad so I can go and get what I forgot or didn't anticipate.
  • Long handle brush, collapsible bucket, squeegee and various cleaning supplies. This is really important in the summer because the yellow jackets love the dead bugs on the front of the coach, so I make a point of washing them off as soon as I can. Simple dish detergent, the brush, and water do the trick.
2006 Patriot Thunder
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Paul, sounds like you are pretty well prepared. Dielecctic grease, I couldn't think of the name. My tires are 90psi & the 12 volt air compressor that clamps to the battery has a 150 psi load range, it does mine, but that is all it is good for or maybe a basketball or the like. That is pretty much my set up also. But I always need something new.

I am a tool junkie!!! I have at least 3 full sets of tools, one set at work, required, one set at home + much more, one set in the MH. I can't pass up a tool store without stopping & checking out what they have.
Dan Sees, Full Timing in the MH & Part timing in a S&B In Hampstead, NC
2013 Winnebago Journey 42e, 2014 Featherlite Car Hauler 3110 17.5', 2008 Mazda MX5,
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
Remember just keep a basic tool kit. I have a couple of tubs with tape, lube, fuses, bulbs, etc. Takes up about the size of a big tool box. I have a small assortment of tools (basic), very small 12 volt air compressor, camp shovel, jumper cables, 3 ton bottle jack, extra bungie cords and straps, lights, extension cord, small ladder. Anything big you need to buy to fix on the road can be purchased at Walmart or the such. We are not FTers so we are mostly a weekend trip or a weeklong trip in summer. Anything that breaks during that time that I can't temp fix gets done once home. I'm more worried about having the camp chairs or BBQ. Remember to just have fun
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
1997 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Basic tool kit, fuses, bulbs, fan belt, fuel filter, WD-40, duct tape, electrical tape, some 18 ga, 16 ga and 14 ga wire jumpers, crimp wire connectors, transmission oil, engine oil, 1 gallon of antifreeze, small soldering iron and solder, bottle jack, 12 VDC air compressor, small bow saw, small hack saw, 4-way lug wrench and 3' cheater pipe, small foldinf shovel, 25' extension cord, extra sewer hose, 1/4" rope, 6" level, small outside thermometer ...that's the guy stuff.

Now the wife stuff.....toilet chemicals, toilet paper, camp chairs, colander, plastic mixing bowls w/lids, full kitchen tools, punch can opener, manual can opener, measuring cups, measuring spoons, rechargeable hand vacuum, butane lighter, safety matches, ball of twine, vaccination papers for the pets, pad of paper, scotch tape,

And the list goes own......

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
What ;you carry and keep on board depends a lot on your capabilities and willingness to use. We travel at least a half year at a time - my entire tool kit fits into two plastic tackle boxes. Screwdrivers, crescent wrenches, duct tape, WD-40, pliers, vice grips, and a hammer are really all I have used for 5 years. We carry an air compressor - have used it once a year normally. We also carry our road service membership and credit cards.

When we get ready to leave for our six month trip we load perishable food, computers, a few important papers and DW work files, a few special one of a kind clothes, medications, and the dog. Everything else is already on board. Takes us about 1 hour to load the motorhome, hook up the towd, and leave.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #8
Try to carry the things you can't find or buy on short notice. Carry extra fuel filters maybe radiator hoses and engine belts. Make sure you have the tools necessary to change out those items. I know I carry too much but I try to do all of my own work. A good road service such as CoachNet and a credit card will take care of most things. I also use a checklist application called RV Check. I have it installed on my phone and it saves me most of the time.
2008 Mobile Suites RE3/2004 F450 Chassis Cab
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
I carry a 20 amp battery charger with me and have used it on both my previous TT and my current motorhome. If your converter goes out it will at least get you through a couple of days so you don't have to cancel your camping trip.
Confusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I try not to carry tools I don't want to use. I do carry basic electric meter, screwdrivers nut drivers, etc. I have a power drill and a bunch of socket wrenches. Having had a tow truck driver bust his socket wrench trying to undo my drive shaft I carry a 12 point socket that fits that screw, hope never to use it. WorkHorse has a very exclusive fuel filter on the rail way back. It is not usually available, special order item, I have one. I have a spare serpentine belt because we drove to Alaska. Full cleaning gear, roadside triangles in case of a road side breakdown, inflatable kayak, bicycles and most important two cell phones and my coach-net card for everything else. I try to limit spares as most items can be bought in the next town down the road and the life boat will get me there.
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - Read my blog at http://xctraveler.blogspot.com/ AKA RVM86
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #11
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
You can carry every tool you can think of...but when something breaks, it always takes a trip to Lowes or HD for the one tool you don't have.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #12
I might forget everything else but driver, co-pilot and dogs are never forgotten.
Other things are as all stated above...plus a spare tire/wheel, relays, belts, hoses, extra set of keys, fuel filters(for all), T stat & AC control board(4 button), every amperage conversion connection possible, spare water filters, spare FW pump, rocker switches. I opted for quality tools as the chinese cheapies will not/can not handle the abusive use for many of the torque needs, we all will experience.
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:21 AM   #13
Dunner's Theory: If you carry a spare part, you will never break that part.

Except for my friend Mike, who can destroy a steel ball with a feather.

I carry a full set of tools to maintain my sandrail, but also keep a mini set of tools inside my MH for small repairs; pliers, screwdrivers, connectors, tape, wire, etc. The most valuable tool I have is the experience I have learned over the years and my laptop for access to irv2.com.
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #14
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My view of the most valuable thing to carry is a multimeter and the ability to use it. There are so many times when electrical problems develop and have a meter can make all the difference.

Like others, I carry a full set (1/4,3/8,1/2) of sockets, screwdrivers and pliers. I also carry my cordless drill and bits for it. Having a Saturn as a toad has taught me to carry Torx sockets, too. Silicone, WD-40, duct tape, electrical tape, teflon tape and bungees pretty much round out my list.

One of the main reasons to carry a drill is that most RVs are put together with square drive fasteners. A drill and square drive bits for it are a must.

2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36' DP
2005 Saturn Vue toad
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote