Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #1

What tank freshener do you use?

i don't usually use any but in this warm weather in the keys i think i may start to
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2014, 09:04 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Extremely effective IMHO -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1419221071204.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	81603  
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:16 AM   #3

Bleach

Extremely Effective AND Extremely Cheap

TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:35 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How does one safely use bleach in a waste tank?

Is this a rinse and wash idea, or actually adding it to the tank like tank chemical? If the later, what are the thoughts about chem burn to the tank dump seals

We rarely use a tank chemical...prefer lots of water. But we do use chemical in the black tank sometimes when off-grid for longer periods in the warmer temps of the summer. Last kind used was a Camco product, sold at Wal*Mart...worked fine and was affordable.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:21 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
How does one safely use bleach in a waste tank?

Is this a rinse and wash idea, or actually adding it to the tank like tank chemical? If the later, what are the thoughts about chem burn to the tank dump seals

We rarely use a tank chemical...prefer lots of water. But we do use chemical in the black tank sometimes when off-grid for longer periods in the warmer temps of the summer. Last kind used was a Camco product, sold at Wal*Mart...worked fine and was affordable.

Safe travels
I would think that bleach would kill any bacteria that would help break down the black tank contents.
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:34 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's my understanding there is typically not enough time for a holding tank to act like a in ground ceptic tank's bacterial action.

I use a holding tank chemical all the time.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:00 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I use nothing in my holding tank. Not needed if you flush the tank with fresh water after every dump (or nearly every time). I've been doing this for ovr 10 years with never a problem.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:03 AM   #8

Spanuts
Rid X RV
It works and keeps the coach odor free. Pouring bleach or other bacteria killers into your tank also means killing bacteria (good & bad) in campground system.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:19 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnwalter View Post
Spanuts
Rid X RV
It works and keeps the coach odor free. Pouring bleach or other bacteria killers into your tank also means killing bacteria (good & bad) in campground system.
From the Happy Campers website...
The treatment contains nine trace elements and two heavy elements that make up a highly concentrated blend of minerals and micro nutrients. Basically, it is the good bacteria overtaking bad bacteria to eliminate odor and accelerate the natural decomposition of the waste. It is biodegradable and contains no formaldehyde, unlike chemical treatments.

http://www.1-happycamper.com/compare.php

It is septic tank safe and will not harm the campground system.

Like everything else - it's a choice. For us it's the geo method or Happy Campers and hunting for Calgon is not on my to do list anymore. It is nice to watch the clear down connector run paper free with 2 ply Kleenex TP.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:43 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
From the Happy Campers website...
The treatment contains nine trace elements and two heavy elements that make up a highly concentrated blend of minerals and micro nutrients. Basically, it is the good bacteria overtaking bad bacteria to eliminate odor and accelerate the natural decomposition of the waste. It is biodegradable and contains no formaldehyde, unlike chemical treatments.

Happy Campers-Odorless-RV Holding Tank Treatment for Black and Grey Water Tanks

It is septic tank safe and will not harm the campground system.

Like everything else - it's a choice. For us it's the geo method or Happy Campers and hunting for Calgon is not on my to do list anymore. It is nice to watch the clear down connector run paper free with 2 ply Kleenex TP.

Totally agree! Best stuff out there! And you can even eat it without harm (except maybe a belly ache)!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:50 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Totally agree! Best stuff out there! And you can even eat it without harm (except maybe a belly ache)!
Not sure i will sprinkle on my Cheerios but if you had eaten TP it would get rid of it and make room for more bacon...

The other thing I like about it is the way you add it to the tank. Flush - add an oz per 40 gallons - swish bowl with toilet brush to clean it - flush and done.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:52 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Not sure i will sprinkle on my Cheerios but if you had eaten TP it would get rid of it and make room for more bacon...

The other thing I like about it is the way you add it to the tank. Flush - add an oz per 40 gallons - swish bowl with toilet brush to clean it - flush and done.

That TP tastes AWFUL!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:03 AM   #13

Odor Control For Both Fresh and Black & Grey

To freshen up fresh tanks Camping World sells several additives that are easy to use. Black & grey holding tanks on rvs are just that (holding tanks). They are not septic tanks, they just hold matter until you pull the handle and let it go. Therefore, because we all pull our handles every 5-7 days things like Bugs, enzymes, have no effect except cost more. The magic to holding tank maintenance is knowing when to pull those handles. 3/4 full or more builds up greater Down Pressure and helps create a tornado in your tank and suck the waste out.
The second part to this is a good odor control. Happy Camper makes a good product but if you forget to do the upper portion of this thread, you will still have problems. Here is a good recipe that you guys can mix yourselves:

1) 1 empty gal jug
2) 40-48ozs of Pine Pinsole
3) Fill jug with water & shake not stir
4) 1/2 cup Calgon Bath Beads (shake again)

When you treat your tanks:
8-12ozs Black Tank (depends on outside temperature)
4-8ozs Grey Tanks

If your using something that is working for you, then continue using it. If not, try the above.
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:58 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Happy Campers is amazing. Great product!

Tags
tank