Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-26-2015, 01:18 PM   #15
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
tires and balance issues doesn't explain why his jack light is on......have you tried putting the jacks down and up and see if they operate?
I have several times and the light is still blinking...I might try a floor jack under each one and see if the light goes off.Waiting for the rain to stop.

97 TropiCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2015, 02:14 PM   #16
This is the same problem as some Dodge Ram truck owners have had.
Dodge Ram Death Wobble
I've had this happen with my Jeep Cherokee 4 x 4, new steering damper solved it in my case. But many other things can add to the problem.
Some solutions are: http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/cha...your-steering/

Ellen & Greg
05 National Dolphin 5342
Workhorse W22 FMCA # F431548
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #17
It is death wobble, and is mainly due to worn steering components and alignment issues. Like your tie rod ends at the steering knuckle and steering box or idler arm. The toe-in is also a factor from alignment standpoint. What happens is the bump sets up the right frequency that the wheels wobble in the slop of the worn pieces. Tires can play a role, sometimes the tread will catch the grooves in the road. But my money is on it being an older and although not excessive miles, just some worn suspension components. A steering stabilizer does help, but check the tie rod ends first. Treat root cause before symptoms.
2005 Kenworth Showhauler truck conversion.
. 44 ft, Cummins ISX15 450 hp, 10 speed, twin screw
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 02:41 PM   #18
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club

Originally Posted by 97 TropiCal View Post
Spin balance....I have been told to have them balanced while on the MH.
I suggest you take a look at Centramatic wheel balancers for the front. They are a continuous balance while you drive. And you never have to worry about balance. I would suggest putting them on all four. Although balance may not be your problem. Good luck.
Rider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #19
It sounds to me like the "death wobble". I read an article that said it was common in the early straight front axle cars (30s to 50s). Ford's long front springs contribute to it. My RV did it twice when it was new. I put a steering dampener on it and it hasn't done it since with 100,000 on the odometer. More caster might help.
2002 Fleetwood Fiesta 31H--F53, 2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtra cab.
2 cats: "Rusty"--male, 27 lb, 9 year old red mackerel tabby with white DSH, & "Penny"--female, 14 lb, 9 year old black and white DMH.
wackymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #20
Check out this video....I believe this will fix my problem...https://youtu.be/AmBjyddRNNo
97 TropiCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 11:28 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Safe-T-Plus is the real deal , there are thousands sold and in use on large tractor-trailers, school buses, and RVs.
Randy - Manhattan, Kansas
2015 Vista 27N
2016 Honda HR-V
powercat_ras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:29 PM   #22
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like you expierenced "Death Wobble"

But first the jacks. If they are power hydraulic the sensor is a float in the fluid tank.. If the fluid level is low, which it often is this time of year, The light will be on.. had to fix it many times myself.

Now the death wobble.. Many possible causes but I would suggest a visit to an alignment shop (Big Rig Flavor) first.. Can't hurt, Odds are you can use one, 2nd they can inspect tie rod ends, ball joints and such that might be contributing factors.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:34 PM   #23
Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
if jacks are up and its been raining, suspect the sensor on the jack has shorted
Ernie Ekberg, Bluebird Wanderlodge- 43
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:15 PM   #24
Ford Super Duty Owner
It happened to me with my 1985 Airstream 345. It sure will get your attention! I talked with the Chevy rep at the Louisville show. He explained it happens when you hit Something in the road that is at an angle. In our case it was railroad tracks that crossed the road at an angle. Something about the tire is hit at an angle then the other tire is hit a second later at an angle. this sets up a wobble of the tire from side to side at the top and bottom. He said the odds are it would probably never happen again. I kept the coach 7 years and never had it happen a second time.
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:39 PM   #25
Ah...the infamous Ford F53 chassis Death Wobble. The "I-Beam Axle" was not one of Ford's better ideas.

Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:49 PM   #26
Jack down light!

I had the Jack down light problem on 2001 HR Endeavor. Turned out to be low hydraulic fluid level. Added fluid to bring level up, fixed the problem, easy fix.
Rummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:07 PM   #27
My father bought a brand new f450 in 1990. It would get death wobble just out of the blue when starting out at a red light. It would do it so bad you would have to come to a complete stop and start again. It did it from almost day one. Dealer could never find the problem. Still does it to this day. Has done it maybe 15 times since 1990. Seems some do it and some don't.
Jake74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:29 PM   #28
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Death wobble, put into action by the drop off and pot holes. Might happen again ten miles down the road or it might not rear its head for another 50000 miles. Sometimes just the right input does weird stuff.
X2 I agree. Unless you find something blatant, It's an anomaly that needs to have the perfect scenario to appear. Virtually unaccountable and definitely a head scratcher!

Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote