Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2015, 03:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by draboo View Post
Should that valve buzz while I m using the black tank sprayer? It never buzzed before. And...DW found a huge amount of water underneath the sink one time. We cleaned it up and attributed it to a hose we store in there had leaked the water. Maybe it was this anti siphon outfit leaking.

Buzzing is probably due to spring/check valve vibrating which it should NOT do.
And the water inside your bathroom sink cabinet was most likely from the anti-siphon valve leaking out top....if water doesn't flow out cause spring/check valve is binding then it will come out top

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2015, 03:54 PM   #16

Mine was hooked up in reverse so no water was allowed to reach the spray head in the black tank. In addition to not allowing black water to move from the black tank it also releases any vacuum and allows water to drain from the line since the valve is higher than the inlet location. This is the only way to assure no water remains in the line for winterization.

Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdawgs View Post
Mine was hooked up in reverse so no water was allowed to reach the spray head in the black tank. In addition to not allowing black water to move from the black tank it also releases any vacuum and allows water to drain from the line since the valve is higher than the inlet location. This is the only way to assure no water remains in the line for winterization.
Except there is a check valve in the connection on side of rig so water from inlet to the device will remain .....it can't drain out due to the check valve

Water will drain out of flush line from device to spray head
Old 12-23-2015, 04:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Except there is a check valve in the connection on side of rig so water from inlet to the device will remain .....it can't drain out due to the check valve

Thought that's what I said. It breaks the vacuum from the valve to the wet bay where your hose is connected.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:20 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by draboo View Post
Should that valve buzz while I m using the black tank sprayer? It never buzzed before. And...DW found a huge amount of water underneath the sink one time. We cleaned it up and attributed it to a hose we store in there had leaked the water. Maybe it was this anti siphon outfit leaking.
That's what happened to ours...leaked water. Replace it.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdawgs View Post
Thought that's what I said. It breaks the vacuum from the valve to the wet bay where your hose is connected.

BUT the line from where you connect hose to the vacuum breaker will have trapped water in that section due to check valve in the hose connection. *Line section between #1 and #3 will have water-------line section between #3 and #5 will drain*

You have to manually open the check valve by pushing in on the end of plunger so that section of line can drain back out of hose connection. *#1*
Old 12-24-2015, 08:23 AM   #21

Quote:
YES
It is an 'anti-siphon/vacuum breaker' and is REQUIRED by law to be installed due to 'possibility' of cross contamination between 'dirty' water source and 'potable' water source.
IS it really necessary in the REAL world........NO
Black water waste tank (dirty water) would have to get completely FULL and become pressurized (blocked vent line) enough to overcome incoming water (potable) pressure. It would then have to go back thru the spray holes into supply line and then back thru the internal check valve at the 'flush water' connection
NO it is not going to happen..........but the possibility exists cause the 2 water sources are connected (There will be a poop fountain off roof or up thru toilet LONG before it could ever get back thru flush system)
The device has spring loaded check valve inside PLUS the 'Cap' is open to atmosphere. That is why they can leak inside RV.........open cap breaks any potential vacuum
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Your guess is good. and yes it is.. Imagine the following (And this has ALMOST happened in the park where I'm at)
You are hooked up to the park's water supply.. Flushing your tank.. For some reason water pressure is LOST by the park (Blown fuse, burned connection on pump*rv. Broken city water main.. Car V/S power pole*sb... Back hoe v/s power line*rv.. Bug on Pressure switch*Sb.. Note *Rv means it happened in a campground *sb at a sticks and bricks I lived in. Broken city water main was a friend's house.
So now there is no pressure in the line and in fact since a faucet at a lower altitude is open ... there is a vacuum.
Now the hose, instead of spraying water into your tank to RINSE.. Is sucking "Stuff" out.
This is not a situtation I'd care to imagine.. let along expierence.. hence the vacuum breaker.
it "Breaks" the suction in that scenaro.. So now the hose is sucking AIR.. Fresh, Clean as it gets, AIR.
Quote:
Quote:
BUT the line from where you connect hose to the vacuum breaker will have trapped water in that section due to check valve in the hose connection. *Line section between #1 and #3 will have water-------line section between #3 and #5 will drain*

You have to manually open the check valve by pushing in on the end of plunger so that section of line can drain back out of hose connection. *#1*
Old-Biscuit
&
wa8yxm

It is apparent that you both clearly understand the reason for and the operation of the "vacuum breakers" used in RV black tank flush systems.

Thanks to your posts on this thread I, (and most likely many others), understand them as well.

Thanks for the informative posts, pics and diagrams.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-24-2015, 12:49 PM   #22

Quote:

As mentioned earlier my valve was installed incorrectly so I had to remove the valve, rebuild the valve and reinstall the valve correctly along with remounting and re-drilling the spray head for more water volume to the black tank. The valve has a spring and ball activated on the black tank side of the valve by water pressure to close the vacuum breaker and open the check valve. The check valve is under spring pressure and closed when no water pressure is present. At this same time the vacuum breaker is open on the wet bay side of the valve to allow water to drain back to the wet bay. I tried using a regular one-way check valve, which works fine if I'm not worried about water remaining in the line between the valve and the wet bay. This is how mine works.

Also, I just purchased a brass valve that will work better and be more dependable than the plastic factory unit. It's a backup but I may go ahead and install it to be on the safe side. I used quick connects on the PEX hose so the change is relatively easy.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:02 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Finally got under there and checked mine out. It was simply cross-threaded on one connection. Put some teflon tape on the threads, hand tightened it, gently gave a little more turn with a wrench, and no more leaks on testing.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:17 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
My check valve/vacuum breaker has leaked since the second time I used the rinse system. Since I am the only one that dumps the tanks and lives in the trailer, I'm thinking "out it comes" and use a simple and cheap valve at the outside connection to the rinse system to stop water movement while I disconnect the water supply hose. I'm tired of water all over the bathroom floor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Finally got under there and checked mine out. It was simply cross-threaded on one connection. Put some teflon tape on the threads, hand tightened it, gently gave a little more turn with a wrench, and no more leaks on testing.
1bigmess
Thanks for the update regarding the cause of, and the fix for, the water leak in your black tank flush system.
Mel
'96 Safari