Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2015, 09:40 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
WHAT the HECK is THIS??

I was cleaning oot the blackwater tank and had the sprayer inside the tank on. This white thing on the blue waterline under the bathroom sink was buzzing up a storm. It's never made any noise before. In fact, I never noticed it till tonight.

Pressure regulator,maybe?

Thanks,eh?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151222_201901.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	114732  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2015, 09:47 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Anti siphon valve
Old 12-22-2015, 09:49 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
vacuum breaker / backflow preventer
Old 12-22-2015, 10:01 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine has that anti siphon valve too and the first time I used the built-in black tank cleaner the valve leaked and soaked everything under the sink.

My RV dealer replaced it and mentioned they saw a lot of them go bad. So I decided not to use the built in tank sprayer from there on.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:22 PM   #5

What is it's purpose? I m guessing it doesn't let water from the blackwater tank into the water supply? Is it really necessary?
Old 12-22-2015, 11:36 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes it is needed. As already mentioned it is an anti-siphon/vacuum breaker to prevent sewage from being siphon from the black tank when the hose is disconnected from the tank sprayer.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:39 AM   #7

YES
It is an 'anti-siphon/vacuum breaker' and is REQUIRED by law to be installed due to 'possibility' of cross contamination between 'dirty' water source and 'potable' water source.

IS it really necessary in the REAL world........NO
Black water waste tank (dirty water) would have to get completely FULL and become pressurized (blocked vent line) enough to overcome incoming water (potable) pressure. It would then have to go back thru the spray holes into supply line and then back thru the internal check valve at the 'flush water' connection
NO it is not going to happen..........but the possibility exists cause the 2 water sources are connected (There will be a poop fountain off roof or up thru toilet LONG before it could ever get back thru flush system)

The device has spring loaded check valve inside PLUS the 'Cap' is open to atmosphere. That is why they can leak inside RV.........open cap breaks any potential vacuum

Clear one so you can see inside design

YOU (the owner) can remove and just hard pipe it and then install a backflow device on garden hose (or NOT )

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:05 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I replaced mine and the second one leaked too. So I took it out and put in a plastic elbow. I then added a brass 90 with a shut off where you connect the hose along with an 18 inch piece of hose with a quick connect. When I'm done rinsing the black tank I shut the water off at the 90 first then at the pedestal. I unhook the hose open the cutoff with the 18 inch piece hanging outside the water bay so it drains to the ground, it's only clear water. When it's done draining I close the shut off so the black tank won't vent into the water bay. I also have a white 18 inch hose on the fresh water side so I can hang the hose outside the water bay to drain. And yes I use different hose for the filling the fresh tank and rinsing the black tank. The 18 inch extension came from the RV Filterstore.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:44 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On my coach it has nothing to do with the black tank flush. If you follow the lines I think you will find it goes to the peddle flush on your toilet. The anti back flush for the black tank is behind the hose connection outside in the wet bay.
Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It seems as logn as the operator took care not to allow the rinse water to get from the black tank to the hose connection on the side of the RV, there is no safety problem, unless another part of the sewer system wasn't working like the vent for the black tank.

My check valve/vacuum breaker has leaked since the second time I used the rinse system. Since I am the only one that dumps the tanks and lives in the trailer, I'm thinking "out it comes" and use a simple and cheap valve at the outside connection to the rinse system to stop water movement while I disconnect the water supply hose. I'm tired of water all over the bathroom floor.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by draboo View Post
What is it's purpose? I m guessing it doesn't let water from the blackwater tank into the water supply? Is it really necessary?
Your guess is good. and yes it is.. Imagine the following (And this has ALMOST happened in the park where I'm at)

You are hooked up to the park's water supply.. Flushing your tank.. For some reason water pressure is LOST by the park (Blown fuse, burned connection on pump*rv. Broken city water main.. Car V/S power pole*sb... Back hoe v/s power line*rv.. Bug on Pressure switch*Sb.. Note *Rv means it happened in a campground *sb at a sticks and bricks I lived in. Broken city water main was a friend's house.

So now there is no pressure in the line and in fact since a faucet at a lower altitude is open ... there is a vacuum.

Now the hose, instead of spraying water into your tank to RINSE.. Is sucking "Stuff" out.

This is not a situtation I'd care to imagine.. let along expierence.. hence the vacuum breaker.

it "Breaks" the suction in that scenaro.. So now the hose is sucking AIR.. Fresh, Clean as it gets, AIR.

I have a vacuum breaker,, And when I upgraded The Flusher (TM) to The Tornado (TM) it added a spring check valve.. I did not know about the vacuum breaker when I created my flush hose so it too has both a spring check and a vacuum breaker.

Some folks say I'm paranoid.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:50 AM   #12

Should that valve buzz while I m using the black tank sprayer? It never buzzed before. And...DW found a huge amount of water underneath the sink one time. We cleaned it up and attributed it to a hose we store in there had leaked the water. Maybe it was this anti siphon outfit leaking.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:53 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by draboo View Post
Maybe it was this anti siphon outfit leaking.
I'd bet a dollar that was what was leaking.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
On my coach it has nothing to do with the black tank flush. If you follow the lines I think you will find it goes to the peddle flush on your toilet. The anti back flush for the black tank is behind the hose connection outside in the wet bay
WILDEBILL308

In RVs that type of "vacuum breaker" can often be found in the water lines which supply pressurized pedestal/city water to the black tank flusher and to the toilet
However unlike biack tank flushers most RV toilets have a built in vacuum breaker.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote