RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #1

What they should have said.....

Coach is 15 months old, we are on the road for the summer, and Montana has had 90* days recently. Our front AC Coleman Mach 10 Air Excel is dead. Of course, it happens on a Friday night (9 days ago). We travel with cats so we have the rear AC cranking on the hot days.....
We called the local mobile tech who after a day was able to get a capacitor which turned out NOT to be the problem. We thought it would be the capicator "quick fix"......Nice guy and $300 bucks later we have to move to our next destination as the parks are full in the month of July with reservations. Good luck trying to find a dealer in MT to diagnose your AC. They are all two to three weeks out if they even talk to you about a service appointment. After countless hours of phone fun and internet surfing we finally found a tech who has worked with us to condem the unit so Coleman can get us another one under the two year warrenty they offer. Our extended coach warrenty does not deal with things covered under a manufactures warrenty.
Currently playing the tracking game of our AC unit as it travels the West. Our tech leaves Thursday morning for 1 1/2 weeks. AC unit is to arrive sometime Wednesday. We are going to be at his shop early that morning to facillitate installation. I sure hope it arrives Wednesday but as the fine print says no guarantee of the date, time, blah blah blah. I will say that the shipping company has been great and responsive so far and we are hoping for the best.

Here's what Coleman Air Excel RV Products should have said, "We are so sorry that your less two year old AC unit is dead". We understand that you are struggling to find a solution. Can we expeditite the shipment of the replacement so you and your cats are cool again? (I stressed I would pay for the expedited shipping). We apologize for the not so friendly tech you had to deal with. And finally that we appreciate your patience and patronage of our product. HOW about that?

Just another horror story from the road.... Thinking now that Amazon.com and googling how to install your own AC would have been a better and faster solution.

Lots of great times and not so great times in the RV life we live!

Wench is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2018, 09:43 AM   #2

What in the world did the 1st tech charge you for the Capacitor? Three hundred is a bit steep even if you include the service call. When it did not work why didn't you tell him to remove it and put the original back?

Just curious, please keep us posted.

Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:09 AM   #3

I hope you get your air conditioning fixed. It can be a challenge to get repairs while on the road.

I had a problem with my Jack's in the LA area. A mobile service technician tried to find my issue but failed to do so after four hours. That night I discovered that the wire ribbon to the circuit board had a broken wire. I called the technician telling him that I found the problem and I asked him to order the circuit board and install it think this way he would get paid for his time.. He said that since he was not able to fix my unit there was no charge.

I ordered the circuit board and installed it myself. It turned out that the circuit board was being redesigned and there were none available on the market. Our newly designed circuit board arrived a month later, after we had departed the LA area.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:52 PM   #4

Fred didn't charge for the capacitor...he charged for the call and his time. We have the same parts but the apparently the compressor is locked up making it dead....on the bright side the replacement is in Salt Lake City! Closer....
Old 07-23-2018, 06:53 PM   #5

Challenge is an understatement....I'm sure we are not the only ones with a nightmare situation.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:57 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Never a dull moment in the lives of RVers. Nothing ever breaks at home for crying out loud!

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wench View Post
Challenge is an understatement....I'm sure we are not the only ones with a nightmare situation.
Good Luck! How it all works out for you.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:15 PM   #8

Your description of your issue makes this suggestion a Hail Mary but there is something called a "Hard start kit" in the case of compressors with that issue. If your compressor has a locked rotor then it is dead. You can check this with an amprobe around the start wire which should be the black wire. Check the schematic for LRA Locked Rotor Amps. and that will be the amp reading during an attempt to start with a frozen compressor.

As always please let us know and good luck.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:09 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Law 1 - If you're still RVing you're just between break downs.
Corollary A - When you breakdown it will be on a Friday Afternoon with and excellent chance of being a 3 day weekend.

Hope it all works out.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wench View Post
Coach is 15 months old, we are on the road for the summer, and Montana has had 90* days recently. Our front AC Coleman Mach 10 Air Excel is dead. Of course, it happens on a Friday night (9 days ago). We travel with cats so we have the rear AC cranking on the hot days.....
We called the local mobile tech who after a day was able to get a capacitor which turned out NOT to be the problem. We thought it would be the capicator "quick fix"......Nice guy and $300 bucks later we have to move to our next destination as the parks are full in the month of July with reservations. Good luck trying to find a dealer in MT to diagnose your AC. They are all two to three weeks out if they even talk to you about a service appointment. After countless hours of phone fun and internet surfing we finally found a tech who has worked with us to condem the unit so Coleman can get us another one under the two year warrenty they offer. Our extended coach warrenty does not deal with things covered under a manufactures warrenty.
Currently playing the tracking game of our AC unit as it travels the West. Our tech leaves Thursday morning for 1 1/2 weeks. AC unit is to arrive sometime Wednesday. We are going to be at his shop early that morning to facillitate installation. I sure hope it arrives Wednesday but as the fine print says no guarantee of the date, time, blah blah blah. I will say that the shipping company has been great and responsive so far and we are hoping for the best.

Here's what Coleman Air Excel RV Products should have said, "We are so sorry that your less two year old AC unit is dead". We understand that you are struggling to find a solution. Can we expeditite the shipment of the replacement so you and your cats are cool again? (I stressed I would pay for the expedited shipping). We apologize for the not so friendly tech you had to deal with. And finally that we appreciate your patience and patronage of our product. HOW about that?

Just another horror story from the road.... Thinking now that Amazon.com and googling how to install your own AC would have been a better and faster solution.

Lots of great times and not so great times in the RV life we live!
Now that it is too late, this may have worked for you:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dometic-B57...53.m2749.l2649

$500 shipped, comes with everything you need to install including the inside controls (assuming the front AC isn't ducted). 2x 16'x2"x4" from the hardware store as ramps to get the old one off and the new one on and you are good to go? Did mine in about an hour on a Sunday while the wife was at church. I had to extend my feed wires a bit because my coach is old, but a scrap piece of romex and some new wire nuts took care of that!
seanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:21 AM   #11
Commercial Member

this is a problem when the any item is under warranty.

do you want it fixed now, or do you want it fixed under warranty?
do you need it now, and, i mean right now, or can you wait for the warranty
procedure to take place. because we all know it takes time to go through regular warranty channels.

i would bet you would never get a letter stating "we are so sorry" because they are actually fulfilling what the warranty states. sorry to say, but its your emergency, not theirs.

it often seems that no one is concerned about the animals, or the inconvenience caused by the failure. so the question is, is it worth paying for it yourself?
i bet the repair would have happened much faster if cash were involved.
i have paid often, because i couldnt wait. several days delay can really disrupt plans, and cost more than time sometimes.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
i bet the repair would have happened much faster if cash were involved.
i have paid often, because i couldnt wait. several days delay can really disrupt plans, and cost more than time sometimes.

Oh so true! Cancelled reservations, added cost to stay where you're at, as said can cost as much or more than the repair. I've found that many times it's quicker and much cheaper to research the issue and fix it yourself than hire some unknown wannabe tech to fix it. It's always worth a shot.

But for the OP, an air conditioner problem can sometimes be beyond the repair of the average rv owner.

The cost of a capacitor is about $25 and the service call to replace it shouldn't exceed $50. $300 sounds steep. BTW, the first thing a less knowledgeable tech will do to most any AC problem is to replace the capacitors.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:04 AM   #13

How true....absolutely everything you mentioned! Just a mention of sympathy or inkling from the manufacturer of an apology or just a hey what can we do to help you faster would have been NICE..

Customer Service 101

On the bright side we GOT it.... Picked it up from the shipper in Helena yesterday, met our tech at Walmart and it got replaced. So thankful for the cool air once again. 12 days, $350 dollars total, and lots of stress on my part, for a warrenty item.

Now back to fly fishing on the fabulous Missouri!
Old 07-26-2018, 09:31 AM   #14

Glad you got it fixed