Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2011, 12:30 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where do most people buy tires? I'm finding it hard to find the 22.5" tires.

Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #16

We replaced Michelin's with Toyo's. We have put almost 5,000 mile on them since we installed them. Love the tire and the ride. They were all Made in the USA.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:00 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I put 4 new Bridgestones on the rear and I would do it again if the price was close.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Take a look at Toyos --I've seen lots of people in the threads that are happy with them and they seem to fit the bill you ordered. I'm not in any way connected with Toyo---I have just read a lot of threads on tires.

I have Michelins which I am happy with and will replace with the same----however Toyo (based on comments in the threads and price) would be/is my second choice.
I am on my second set of Toyo tires, and recommend them without reservation.
Quality is first rate and price is very competitive. Six 255 R70 22.5 tires out the door for less than $1900.
CarlGeo
Old 08-24-2011, 10:27 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I stuck with Michelins because 40+ years of experience with them and no problems tells me they make a great product. Only blowout I've had since I started driving was a GoodYear.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:43 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlGeo View Post
I am on my second set of Toyo tires, and recommend them without reservation.
Quality is first rate and price is very competitive. Six 255 R70 22.5 tires out the door for less than $1900.
CarlGeo
Carl, you say you are on your 2nd set, 2 questions, how long in years did the first set last, (unless you wore them out). and secondly, where did you get them? (I am in Tehachapi)
Old 08-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #21

thanks for the help with the tires

Just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions for buying new tires. We checked around our area and found a good tire, Sumitomo, 6 tires were $1600 out the door. Same tread design as the Michellin that came off. They were rated at just above a medium grade tire. We could not buy the top of the line tires because we only use it currently about 1500 miles per year. These tires should last us until we retire. At that time we will put a more expensive tire on for driving more miles. Thanks again for all of the nice suggestions.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:38 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ribbon View Post
Where do most people buy tires? I'm finding it hard to find the 22.5" tires.
I called around and found out the Big O tires carried my size, 17.5. While he was looking them up, he said if they didn't have any, they could order some. So I would suggest going to your chain tire store and ask if they can order them for you if you are having trouble finding your size.
svdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:46 PM   #23

Where are you guys purchasing it and getting it installed? Im in the Dallas area and called around - camping world was the most expensive at $780/tire for Goodyear G670RV "H" rated.

Another shop quoted me $650 for michelins and $535 for Dunlop, both are 14 ply (G rated)

my current tires are the original michelins from 2004, 275 / 80 / r22.5 and i need to replace all 6 because spider cracks are showing

The cheapest i found was Costco at $446.99 for michelin XDE-MS "G" (14 ply) but they do not install, and when i looked up that tire online it show its for pickup trucks and not RVs.. hmmm. is anyone here using the XDE-MS ?
Old 08-31-2011, 10:00 PM   #24

My perspective is that the tire dealer is more critical than the make of tire. In the Western states, the dealer network with the top reputation is Les Schwab. We've been customers of a number of Schwab centers for over 40 years.

When we bought our current MH last July, it had the original 2001 (chassis date) Goodyear's on it. We did one trip on those, just as a shakedown on the new-to-us rig.

After that first trip, we went to our local Schwab store to get replacements. Knowing that they were for an RV, where age is more important than mileage, the store manager searched their warehouse inventory and found a set of 6 tires that were only 6 weeks after their manufacture date.

We're very happy with them. Ride quality is a lot better than the GY's it had previously. Sure, we've only done 3500 miles so far, but the tires are good enough not to have to think about.

FYI, I have no relationship with Schwab other than being a satisfied customer.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmesser View Post
Carl, you say you are on your 2nd set, 2 questions, how long in years did the first set last, (unless you wore them out). and secondly, where did you get them? (I am in Tehachapi)
Replaced tires because of age.
Purchased tires at Country Tires on State Hwy (next to R V Peddler) in Bakersfield CA.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
'Nother vote for Toyo tires.

Keep in mind that many of the tire makers have now set up factories in China so just because you buy a certain known brand doesn't mean it won't come with "Made in China" stamped on the side.
Are you sure about this. I believe all tires have a "made in" stamp.

Jim E
Old 09-05-2011, 07:41 AM   #27

Stay away from Goodyear!!!

moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires