Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2011, 07:33 PM   #1

What tires should we buy for a class A

Hello, I'm to this site and would like to know if anyone might have any suggestions on what brand tire we should buy for our 33' class A motorhome. We would like to stay middle of the road, not the cheapest and not the most expensive brands as currently we only travel around 1500 miles per year. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #2

What do you have on your rig now? Go either online or to your favorite tire shop and get some tire pricing. Anyone will tell how they feel about tires and brands, but its like Ford or Chevy. Depends on the person.

Good Luck
Arnold

Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

What size tires do you need? Kumho and Hankook make some excellent tires in many sizes and the price is more reasonable than Michlin or Goodyear RV tires. No, they aren't cheap Chinese tires, despite the oriental-sounding names.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
What size tires do you need? Kumho and Hankook make some excellent tires in many sizes and the price is more reasonable than Michlin or Goodyear RV tires. No, they aren't cheap Chinese tires, despite the oriental-sounding names.

However they are Korean Mfg. Both have headquarters in America, but the tires are all imported. I am sure some come from China under contract as do some goodyear and firestone tires.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #5

Generally speaking, Korean products can not be put in the same category as Chinese. The Chinese are adept at copying products with an eye to appearance but lag in engineering knowhow and quality of construction. Give a project to the Koreans and you will be in a room full of engineers and they will analyze and understand every aspect of it. Their manufacturing capabilities are state of the art. In many ways they have supplanted the Japanese who have become overpriced. The Koreans have come a long ways and are at the top of their game right now.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take a look at Toyos --I've seen lots of people in the threads that are happy with them and they seem to fit the bill you ordered. I'm not in any way connected with Toyo---I have just read a lot of threads on tires.

I have Michelins which I am happy with and will replace with the same----however Toyo (based on comments in the threads and price) would be/is my second choice.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by radams View Post
Generally speaking, Korean products can not be put in the same category as Chinese. The Chinese are adept at copying products with an eye to appearance but lag in engineering knowhow and quality of construction. Give a project to the Koreans and you will be in a room full of engineers and they will analyze and understand every aspect of it. Their manufacturing capabilities are state of the art. In many ways they have supplanted the Japanese who have become overpriced. The Koreans have come a long ways and are at the top of their game right now.
Couldn't have said it better myself. They may not have the frills down flat yet, but they are produce, solid, honest products at a great price.

Steve
Old 08-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #8

We replaced our tires last year. After doing on-line research I came down to Bridgestone and Hankook. We put on Hankook due to availability in our local area. So far were very happy with them. Count me as one who thinks Korean engineers are pretty darn good. I worked in leading edge technology as an electrical engineer and some countries are better than others. Korea, Israel and Japan were all very impressive so when I discovered Hankook was a Korean company I had no reservations about them. There are probably some good American companies too but I had to choose from the best available in my tire size.

Michelle
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
also Sumitomo. made in japan. tires will last longer if you run them more. very large dealer told me 30 mi per mo.

WORKHORSE W-22
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanahub View Post
Hello, I'm to this site and would like to know if anyone might have any suggestions on what brand tire we should buy for our 33' class A motorhome. We would like to stay middle of the road, not the cheapest and not the most expensive brands as currently we only travel around 1500 miles per year. Thanks
I have had good luck with Hankook (19.5 inch) - My oldest Hankook tires are 2006 (2 each) about 15,000 miles. I drive once or twice a month and store on pavement or gravel.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:01 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I put toyos (19.5") on a pace arrow, was very happy with them.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I,also, purchased summitumo tires for my 2003 national rv, dolphin 6342, the price was right and with excellent marks from my friend who sells tires.

Summitumo 245/75R/22.5 ST-718
Old 08-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #13

Don't know if you can find your size, but the FMCA Michelin deal is excellent.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
'Nother vote for Toyo tires.

Keep in mind that many of the tire makers have now set up factories in China so just because you buy a certain known brand doesn't mean it won't come with "Made in China" stamped on the side.

Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires