Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2014, 07:17 PM   #1
UAV

What to Buy: Older higher end or new

Hello Everybody...

In my quest for a nice coach in which to eventually go full-time in, I have looked at both older, very nice higher end models and new models that, if upgraded with more "goodies" would be comparable to the older models as far as price goes. Both are DPs.

In other words, the older higher end models are in the $170k range, generally built in the mid-2000s and in the 42' to 45' range and are all pretty much loaded while the new models are in the $140k, 35' range but if I put $30,000 more into them I would have a new coach with just about all the same features, electronics, etc.

Just curious your thoughts on which way you would go and why.

Thanks!
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2014, 07:24 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I just went through the used Prevost versus new Cornerstone or London Aire. 2005/6 Marathon XLII series about the same sales price. Seems like a very nice coach. But...less floor space and after you drive it10 years, it is a 20 year old coach. Then a friend who has one in this area had to have a slide seal replaced $$$$$. What's the costs at the 20 year point. Ended up going new...but understand the pull for the older high end coach completely. Think you just have to plan to be ready for the higher maintenance costs (I say this knowing that the 10 year maintenance costs won't be something to be blind about either).
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:29 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My thought are as follows:
There is no way, no way at all a new $140 coach is built nearly as well as a 2005 coach that is still worth the same $.
That 2005 would have been $400,000 or more new, one of the best of the best at the time.
Even with upgrades a new coach at $140 is going to be an introductory model.
So to surmise a older, top of the line, well cared for coach, is way better than a new base line new model.

Any is better then none.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:36 PM   #4

We are considering this as well. As we are assessing whether we will full-time (unlikely unless I want to loose a DW of 35 years whom I am EXTREMELY fond of! )

Mostly time...possibly...1/2 time...more likely. So do we stay with the 5er (which I have pretty much tricked out) or do we go with a MH (for the ease of setup - especially when I hit 70 in 10 years)

We HAVE decided though that if we go to a MH we will go new with a extended warranty just for peace of mind in our elder years. Not sure what your price point is, but you tossed out $170K - did you know you can get a brand new Forest River Berkshire for @ $180K? Berkies are a great Class A, Forest River is a Great Brand (did you know you can go to their yearly rally in Goshen and get FREE Maintenance every year?) Believe if you go head to head with a Allegrobus you will find a Berkie comparable. If you want to up the ante to a Prevost class RV take a look at the Forest River Charleston you are hitting $235K now but comparable to the $400K+ Prevost. Again, go to the rally each year and get free maintenance!.

Go a notch lower and look at the Coachman Now you are in the low-mid $100s new - again with the great Forest River Customer Service.

This is what we are pondering as retirement approaches
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:43 PM   #5

I would say the handier you are, the more inclined you would be to move towards the older high end coach.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:56 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
My thought are as follows:
There is no way, no way at all a new $140 coach is built nearly as well as a 2005 coach that is still worth the same $.
That 2005 would have been $400,000 or more new, one of the best of the best at the time.
Even with upgrades a new coach at $140 is going to be an introductory model.
So to surmise a older, top of the line, well cared for coach, is way better than a new base line new model.

Any is better then none.
X2 Agree 100%

I have been around RV for a little while. I have always disliked the ratio of Quality Vs Money spent.
After talking to the guys that do the service work at A large local RV dealership I have seen (and heard) of how they are really built.
What they tell me confirms what I have always believed the older the better.
The biggest item in stalled in the newest units seems to be PROFIT.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:14 PM   #7

I'm a value hound and believe that the well kept, older high end coaches are a better buy. Yes it helps to be handy and not afraid to do minor maintenance, fixes and upgrades. I just don't see the quality in the 100k-200k price band for new coaches. The floorplans are getting nicer however and they have been finally getting innovative the last couple of years after a long period of floorplans that basically all look the same.

As of 2014, the sweet spot for value appears to be 2004-2005 (9-10 years old). NADA shows a big drop in pricing (8-10%) between 8-9 years on almost all major coach brands (Monaco, Tiffin, Newmar, American etc.). Not sure why this anomaly exists. It's generally understood that by year 9, the depreciation drops down to the 3-4% range.

One can get a 2004, 40' Country Coach with 3 slides and Tag Axle for ~100k with maybe 50k miles. You can completely upgrade the interior, add flatscreen TV's, 500w solar system, technology packages, new appliances, batteries, tires etc. and still not crack 200k.
searay330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:51 AM   #8

The reason for that big "step" in pricing has to do with bank financing - as in the lack of easy access to it for older coaches. Many banks start getting real shy on coaches as they get into the 8-10 year old range. This has the effect of taking them to "out of reach" status for a lot of people that might otherwise be interested. Fewer qualified buyers available = less demand = lower pricing.

A "value" shopper capable of picking out a well maintained coach can make out like a bandit here because of that.....
Old 09-01-2014, 08:04 AM   #9

That makes sense. Right now the cutoff point is 2005. If the relationship holds true each year, then in 2015 the 2006 models should see a significant price drop.

I think that's key for a used shopper and probably not well understood or known by sellers and non bank assisted (cash) buyers. If you buy a '06 model this year and don't drive a hard bargain, you are about to get hammered with depreciation. Not so much with an '05.

90% of all used RV's I've looked at are priced between NADA's low and avg retal (most are closer to avg retail). Many consignment RV places advise their sellers to price almost exactly between these two price points. That being said, the huge price delta between the '05 and '06 models is evident in this pricing strategy. A used shopper should use this pricing gap as leverage to get more of a significant discount from the asking price on an 8 year old model.
searay330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:18 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
This is a good discussion. We agree completely with TMan59 and ahicks. As our MH approaches 10 years old we've been considering what a newer model would bring us. While budget considerations limit us a bit, so far we haven't found any new [desirable] feature that cannot be added to our current MH, and haven't seen any floorplan/decor combinations that are more compelling that what we already have. And from what I hear, some of the newer models are just not made as well as the pre-recession builds.

Then there is the cost of license plates and insurance for a newer unit! Ugh!

For us, I think, since we've got a well-made, reliable coach without any major problems, and it meets all our needs, we will prolly stick with what we have. I just can't justify the expense to get [only?] a current date on my registration.

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:23 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The long and short of it is, we couldn't afford a new coach in the class of the Monaco Windsor and with all the features it has! The sticker price of our coach in 2002 was $243,000. When it bought it in 2012 they were mostly priced in the $70-80K range. We have spent another $12k or so making improvements to make it safer and more comfortable. We love it and are very happy with our decision!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We are approaching the 10 year mark for our coach and opted to upgrade it for "keeps". There is nothing fundamentally wrong with what we have and nothing out there just screamed at us to save the upgrade costs for a new model. Sure, there are some great newer units out there but with our buy in costs and upgrade costs, we just don't see a reason to spend more than that for a newer unit.

Granted, as we pass 10 years old we will see the second tier of major depreciation and that is a tad unsettling but we sorta figured that out going into it. After our first year we became comfortable with keeping this MH for the long haul.

I suppose the next major event where we would think about trading it in is in 5 years when we need new tires. More coaches are traded in instead of replacing tires than you might think. LOL
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:28 AM   #13

timely thread,, as we were just at an RV show yesterday.. We recently purchased a 2003 Fleetwood Revolution.. for 70k new it was around 215 BUT to get the equivalent today would be way over $300 (from what we say yesterday) with only 40k miles on it the difference in $$$ is a no brainer
9dreizig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:12 AM   #14

We also have chose to just continue to upgrade our 06 coach. The TV's were upgraded when we got it, and we have added MCD shades throughout, two new leather couches, and a bunch of small items. I feel no matter how much more we do, it will still be cheaper than buying new.