Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2018, 12:16 PM   #1

What to buy to haul 10,000lbs

Hello all,

I am looking for some solid advice on what class A moho to buy to haul a 22-24 ft car trailer and car. It would need to tow at least 8000lbs. I have had gas class A in the past, 2004 bounder 32' but would not purchase such a thing for this mission. I am sure most will say go to a diesel, but my budget is limited, $75,000 CANADIAN. I have considered something on a GM workhorse chassis w/Allison tranny but not sure if it is legally capable of towing 8000lbs or more. The Jayco Seneca is a favorite but out of our price range.
It is just the wife and I, so we don't need a large RV or big fancy diesel pusher. Something smaller 32-34 ft with usual amenities would be sufficient. We plan on travelling the North America coastline towing this trailer and then heading inland.
Any advice, thoughts or past experiences/current experiences would be greatly appreciated.

THX
BCRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2018, 12:22 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRVer View Post
Hello all,

I am looking for some solid advice on what class A moho to buy to haul a 22-24 ft car trailer and car. It would need to tow at least 8000lbs. I have had gas class A in the past, 2004 bounder 32' but would not purchase such a thing for this mission. I am sure most will say go to a diesel, but my budget is limited, $75,000 CANADIAN. I have considered something on a GM workhorse chassis w/Allison tranny but not sure if it is legally capable of towing 8000lbs or more. The Jayco Seneca is a favorite but out of our price range.
It is just the wife and I, so we don't need a large RV or big fancy diesel pusher. Something smaller 32-34 ft with usual amenities would be sufficient. We plan on travelling the North America coastline towing this trailer and then heading inland.
Any advice, thoughts or past experiences/current experiences would be greatly appreciated.

THX
That is going to be a real challenge, as most gassers do not have the weight carrying (frame/suspension/towing/tongue weight capacities you need within your price limitations...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:34 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I am sure most will say go to a diesel, but my budget is limited

THX
Lower budget just means buying an older motorhome. Besides you are better off with an older coach (Class A DP) since the coaches before 2006 will not have all that emissions stuff that adds cost and complexity.

A 2005 or older (with big diesel engine and) with a Tag axle will get you the towing capacity you need - and should fit in your price range nicely.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:37 PM   #4

under $75000

Look for a 34' Supernova super "c". International chassis with a 6.0 diesel that can pull 15,000. A 2007 or 08 should be it that range.
Tucsontoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:42 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Pull 8-10,000 pounds?

Pulling 8-10,000 pounds with a gasser would be a real challenge, not to mention WAY over the rating for the hitch on any I have seen. They may be out there, but on a class A, I highly doubt it. The hitches are usually just bolted onto a couple of extensions that are welded onto the frame rails. Not meant for heavy loads like a DP where the frame rails go all the way back and are much stronger to carry the engine/transmission.
Maybe time to re-think your plan, as good as it seemed to be.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:44 PM   #6

Not sure what you are hauling but have you considered a 1 ton dually and a toy hauler?
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:46 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Ed! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I think you will have a problem finding a 32-34' MH that will pull that kind of load! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:32 PM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
After a really quick search.....
There a several DP's in your price range....older but should be serviceable for your needs..
(I would stay away from the Thor products in your price range (personal experience) or multi-slides however..(the more slides the heaver the coach = less carrying capacities)
This sales outfit lists what the capabilities of hitches and GVW's, with good pic's.
And they do quite a few sales to the Canadian markets (really helps with dealing with Canadian laws and import/export Customs at the border)
And has straight up personnel both in sales and in their shop.
Give them a call if you need some guidelines.
ALL Pre Owned motorhomes Inventory
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:40 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Hello all,

THX
You probably aren't going to find a gas coach with that capability, most are 4-5000 lbs. On the other hand, most diesel pushers will probably meet your requirements, although there are some sub 10,000 lb tow capacity DPS out there. Early 2000's Monaco coaches are nice, have a big tow capacity and are in your price range.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #10
mat

Others may dis-agree, but,I have hauled my 24' enclosed trailer all over the country behind our V10 gasser. not the fastest up the mountains, but always gets me where I'm going. Inside, was our Camaro and our Harley, and a bunch of extra stuff. Over 11,000 miles now and no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00236.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	194743  
Old 03-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #11

Thanks for the quick replies...much appreciated ! I will browse the links provided and stay away from gassers, as I suspected. We will be towing a 22-24 ft car trailer with a Camaro, spare tires and tools. Car is just under 4000 lbs, trailer is 1500 - 2000lbs.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat View Post
Others may dis-agree, but,I have hauled my 24' enclosed trailer all over the country behind our V10 gasser. not the fastest up the mountains, but always gets me where I'm going. Inside, was our Camaro and our Harley, and a bunch of extra stuff. Over 11,000 miles now and no problems.
Very cool...I like your taste in cars !! Is your moho rated to tow that kind of weight, or you just taking a chance? Any upgrades to hitch, axles, anything? Do you know the weight of your tow load?
Old 03-06-2018, 01:54 PM   #13

I pull a 25 foot enclosed trailer with a 2005 Monaco Dynasty. Living on Vancouver Island and spending the winters in AZ we travel a lot of mountainous routes. Our gross weight is 46,000 lb, somewhat shy of the preferred 100 lb per HP but manageable. In this configuration a proper Jac brake, not a PAC or exhaust brake, would be mandatory for mountain driving in my opinion.
Eaglesview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:55 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Not to discount any advise given I will give you a real life experience of what can tow a 24 foot cargo carrier with a 2300 lb car a 900 lb motorcycle and two 300 lb Cushman motor scooters. I had a F450 V 10 32 ' Conquest classic with an added Banks Power Pack and 1500 lb overload rear springs and a good leveling hitch that pulled that trailer all over the country, up hill down hill and over the mountains. Out in flat country I could go around and 18 wheeler doing 65 in less than 13 seconds and could run 70 and 75 all day and still get 8.5 to 9 mpg. Wife was not comfortable in the cab so we ,however you consider, either upgraded and downgraded to an Allegro Bus 35R DP. Still pull the trailer. Good Luck Richard