Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #15

Oh Mighty Inverter - Please be the answer!

Now that I think I know which one is the inverter, I'm going to give it a shot.

Before I do anything really silly...

What exactly do I need to disconnect/shut off/etc. to ensure that I don't get zapped?

Thanks for all of the great help with this!

~ Michelle

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #16

We've never disconnected or turned off anything when we reset ours. I'm not sure if power to the unit is needed to reset it or not. But if all you're going to do is reset the breaker, then I wouldn't worry. Turning off all appliances that may be on the inverter circuit might be a good idea ...fridge (make sure it's set to LP only until reset is done), maybe unplug TV just in case, and turn off anything plugged into the outlets powered by the inverter.

However, if you're that worried, wait for one of the experts here to chime in.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #17

Just to be safe if it tripped due to load you should shut off or disconnect that which was plugged in during the time that you believe it went out. To keep it from possibly re-tripping or putting a heavy surge through the unit ( more than one thing plugged in at a tome). Also if it trips while not under load you have an indication of other issues.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #18

Appreciate the great input and support!!!

Button on Inverter was pressed. And nada.

Couple more thoughts on the puzzle. I remember last night at some point, I was awakened with a really loud SNAP/POP sound or something like that. I walked around the mh, nothing was on fire, smoking, etc. So I went back inside trying to figure that one out as well. There was an elec blanket plugged into the bedroom outlet, which now is also not working.

So - regardless I'm guessing/hoping that maybe this fuse is the culprit. Also, will try unplugging the cords to the inverter, although I'll wait to do that with some supervision.

Fingers crossed!!!

Old 10-09-2012, 12:32 AM   #19

Well, shucks, we were hoping that would have worked.

DH is telling me that according to the Freedom inverter manual, a fuse must be installed within 18" of the house battery. It should be mounted to a post near or in the battery compartment. The battery is connected to one side of the fuse and the inverter's "+" lead to the other side. If you have a meter, maybe you can check to see if power is going through that fuse.

ETA: Are you sure you don't see any breakers on the inverter itself? The newer Xantrex inverters and Magnum inverters have breakers on the inverter bodies. And you said you've already checked the breaker to the inverter?
Old 10-09-2012, 04:49 AM   #20

Snap pop. Normally not good. My past experience snap pop normally leads to a plastic molded part or metal encased part coming apart.
Good luck.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:07 AM   #21
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
I would suspect the GFI at this point.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:11 AM   #22

Have you physically turned off then on all the breakers in your 120v panel....
Old 10-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #23

I had this happen to us this summer. I eventually created a one line for the circuit and traced everything back to a loose connection in the first junction box from the breaker. Take it one step at a time, simple things first. use a good multi meter. Good Luck
Old 10-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #24

i have a dumb question. you said what you were running but did i miss where you were getting your power from. were you pluged into 50 amps or generator or running off rvs batteries? did you run the batteries down and need to be charged?
Old 10-10-2012, 12:24 AM   #25

Success!!!

Well, after a long day of unhooking, unplugging, resetting and trying everything again, we still had no resolution...

Then after another round of checking everything one more time, my DBF opened the door in the cabinet next to the closet and asked "What about these breakers?"

Doh... (And yay!)

So, I guess we (and that doesn't mean 'I') found the circuit breaker for the inverter. I seriously can't believe that there was yet another set of circuit breakers hiding in the closet.

Thanks to everyone for the great tips... What a great forum - and a great learning experience for me trying to figure this stuff out!