Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
If we did not have the inverter on then most things would not work unless we were plugged into shore power. The inverter on allows us to have more lights, plugs and other things on if we want or need them. The batteries are being recharged anyway while we are going down the road so it's not draining them.
As for the fridge, well right now its both electric and propane but soon will be a residential. We just don't seem to use that much propane. Filled the tank up almost 2 yrs ago and still have just over 1/2 a tank. It's a 55 gallon tank. Sometimes we do boondock especially if we are traveling. Thom still works so we sometimes have deadlines to get places. As a matter of fact we are pulling out of CA on the 20th and heading to FL and AL and then to TX. We have to be in San Antonio, TX before Thom starts a new job and assignment on June 3rd.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #16

Just wondering how much fuel the genny will use per hour? Anyone ever calculated this while it was under a load? Someone mentioned that it cut the amount of fuel for engine quite a bit. Thanks.

MissyanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyanMe View Post
Just wondering how much fuel the genny will use per hour? Anyone ever calculated this while it was under a load? Someone mentioned that it cut the amount of fuel for engine quite a bit. Thanks.
It depends on the generator but for a 7.5 to 8 kw loaded to half capacity or less the generally accepted rate is 1/3 to 1/2 gal/ hr.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #18

Quote:
MissyanMe
More information is needed about the generator you have.
Your question is like asking, "How much gas is in a can"?, (it's imposable to answer correctly).
Because there are different generator brands, sizes, and the fact that one of three different fuels are used, the amount of fuel used per hour will differ from generator to generator.
My 6.5 kw LP Onan uses 1.05 gal/hr at 1/2 load...1.70 gal/hr at full load.
The manual for your particular generator will/should have the answer for you.
If you have no manual, post your question again and include the size, the brand and the year of your genset....(and the model number if you know it).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #19

just wondering

It is an Onan 7.5 kw 1999 yr. diesel fuel. My mistake for not giving all the info in the beginning. We have ran the genny while we were putting new flooring down to make sure everything was ok. I turned everything on I possibly could to put it under a load and it purred like a kitten. Thought about taking it to where I work to run a load bank test on it but the smallest load bank we have is 100 kw, which would still work. I work for a CAT rental facility and the smallest genny we have is 20 kw. Just wondering about the fuel consumption because all of our units have either a CAT or JohnDeere engine. I have no experience with anything this small. Haven't had the MH out on a trip yet that is why I asked about the fuel consumption. I know it runs off of the fuel tank and I have heard that the pickup tube stops at approximately 1/4 of a tank to prevent running out of fuel for the engine. I wonder if I could put a longer pickup tube in the tank? Thanks.
MissyanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
We don't like to use ours while underway. Because it is connected to the diesel tank to run that it lowers the MPG in half. So instead of 10 MPG we get 5 with the genny running. If it's gonna be hot out we just plan when to stop to shop or eat during the hot part then back on the road after it cools a little to continue driving.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
My 5.5KW gene uses ~ .7GPH under 3KW load.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #22

iRV2 No Limits Club
My owners manual says not to run the generator or use propane while driving.
Some tunnels and bridges will inspect your vehicle to insure that you have everything turned off before you can cross.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
With air suspension MH's the ride going down the road isn't all that rough (unless you're on I-10 in Louisiana ). Our MH is wired with an inverter that enables almost everything in the coach (other than the A/C and microwave) to operate while we are traveling. We use it to run our residential fridge and anything else we need. As others have said, when it gets hot out we run the genny to power the A/C's.
Amen to I-10 in Louisiana. US-90 is not much better.

Plus Fiona a minature Goldendoodle
Iangolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
We don't like to use ours while underway. Because it is connected to the diesel tank to run that it lowers the MPG in half. So instead of 10 MPG we get 5 with the genny running. If it's gonna be hot out we just plan when to stop to shop or eat during the hot part then back on the road after it cools a little to continue driving.
If running your generator drops your MPG by half, you have a SERIOUS problem with your generator! Our 8k unit will drop MPG by about a half of a mile per gallon.

What is your comfort worth? For a few bucks a day I will happily run my generator rather than drive a motor home that is 90 degrees inside.

We run EVERYTHING we need to be comfortable, including roof AC, fridge, hot water heater, microwave, coffee pot, TV (it's in the living room) and anything else we need to use. It's a MOTOR HOME. Just because the wheels are turning doesn't change that.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:38 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
If running your generator drops your MPG by half, you have a SERIOUS problem with your generator! Our 8k unit will drop MPG by about a half of a mile per gallon.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:21 AM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Whenever we are moving or camping we continually operate the refrigerator on LP, (sometimes 4 mo at a time)....(the motion while moving prevents "tube clogging").
While moving we occasionally use the furnace.
We always turn the water heater off, because it will often blow out and restart, or try to restart, over and over depending on which way the wind is blowing.
The LP genset is used if/when a roof air, or two, is needed.
We've been doing it that way for 13 years, (103k miles), with this coach.
Mel
'96 Safari
When we ordered our DSDP the dealer added in the motor aid water heater option. I didn't really think we needed it but since it was installed and couldn't be removed we left it. Now it really is nice to have hot (really HOT) water on the road and when we stop. Normal water temp is around 120, with the motor aid it's the same as coolant temp which is 180+. We have to be careful at first.
If your water heater is blowing out then there is something wrong with the venting letting in too much moving air when traveling. Some people put in a baffle to prevent that.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:26 AM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldme View Post
My owners manual says not to run the generator or use propane while driving.
Some tunnels and bridges will inspect your vehicle to insure that you have everything turned off before you can cross.
The must be a CYA thing for you manufacturer as the propane system in an RV is designed, built, tested and certified to be used while moving. That's a requirement of RVIA.
Been Rv'ing since 1957, have never run into that out west where we live and have never yet made it further then IN.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:28 AM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
My 5.5KW gene uses ~ .7GPH under 3KW load.
Our PowerTech 8Kw liquid cooled constant speed diesel uses .72 GPH at full load. It has a Kubota 3 cyl engine running at 1800 rpm.