Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
What to Tell Mechanic to Check???

Hello All,

I am taking the Revolution for a checkup... I am a nervous driver and I want to have it completely checked over before our summer voyages. WHAT spefically should i tell them to look over or should I trust the opinion of the mechanic....I am relying on the mechanic to be my eyes and ears and if I could exchange my legal degree for a mechanical degree right now...I WOULD....

All opinions are greatfully welcomed... I am trying to do this to avoid the stress on Hubby as he is still recovering from major health issues... I am now the designated driver for the time being....

Faith

fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Good luck in finding such a mechanic. I just paid 2,700.00 for a complete bumper to
bumper check everything replace all fluids and filters and fix anything found wrong.
Keep in mind this was the chassis only. Long story short things were not done that any
one with eye sight would have taken care of.
Unless you personal know the person doing the work take what they say with a grain
of salt.

Art

Old 03-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #3

Is it a heavy truck mechanical shop or an RV shop? Personally I trust the truck mechanics more, but I could be misguided.

As for their standard checklist, they should have one. It will cover a lot of things you would not expect. Hydraulic systems for steering and running the cooling fans, steering linkages, brakes (condition and adjustment), air system, transmission, oil, oil filter, fuel filter, water separator, air filter, belts, tires (condition and pressure, you can't easily see the insides of your tires, they can), suspension and shocks, and a coolant test (water/coolant ratio and SCA levels if it is not the long life stuff).

Some shops won't torque the lugs because of the chrome covers, if that is the case, take them off first yourself. It is not that big a hassle, but it is something they hate doing.

You should also ask for and pay for an oil analysis every couple of years.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a heavy truck shop too. I always put a twelve pack in ghe fridg for them and tell them to help themselves. They never do but appreciated the gesture. Maybe I should take some steaks next time.

I dont trust the local RV shops. Had too much shody work and then they argu with you over how you should appretiate the calking they dripped all over the inside....

Truck shop talked me out of replacing my tires. I had some cupping and a little vibration. They said they could match up the rear tires to reduce the vibration and compensate for the wear. They figure I can get 10,000 to 15,000 more out of them. Yu know they will get my business.

Good luck. There are still honest mechanics out there. Just have to find an old school shop.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:47 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
a HD truck shop with a lift would be my suggestion.
A good lift costs $20k... but opens the underside of the chassis up so a tech can get a better point of view versus wheeling around in the dark on a creeper.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:08 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi fansill,
If you have the chassis documentation that came with your coach it will contain the annual maintenance items and how often those items need to be taken care of. This is not a complete list. It should get the conversation started with the technician.
Every year:
1. engine oil and filter (replace)
2. fuel filter and water separator (replace)
3. air dryer filter (replace)
4. grease chassis
5. front wheel hubs (check)
6. rear end lube (check)
7. transmission fluid (check)

Every three years:
1. engine coolant (if it's green replace)
2. engine air filter (replace)
3. transmission fluid (depending on the fluid check or replace)

Every six years:
1. engine coolant (if it's red replace)

For me, every 60K miles I replace all engine belts. Every 100K or 12 years, all engine rubber hoses. Hose replacement should be coincident with coolant replacement.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have a legal degree (I am currently looking for folks like that, but that's another topic and no.... Unless you happen to be parked next to me here in Carolina Landing, don't bother replying to this comment)

IF this is a motor home you drove last year.. All you really need is the vehicle equivlant of "Spring Cleaning" check brakes, change assorted fluids, check others and de-winterize.

Inspect tires and most important, the brakes (A motor home that won't run is safe, a motor home that won't stop... IS NOT)

To be honest, most of this you are better off doing yourself.

And a Legal Degree is a lot harder than mechanics certification.. Go ahead, Find an RV. TECH course or some such and take it.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #8

Perhaps Google 'Mobile RV Services in Your Town'. Then check for any good or bad at RV Service Reviews. Before you commit. Same with local shops (and I'd recommend a truck or bus shop, not a manufacturers shop). Just explain your concerns and they will suggest a course of action. Wouldn't hurt to let slip that you're a lawyer.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #9

My service contract says I have to prove I changed the oil/filter every 6 months or 5000 miles. I don't use my RV for 5 months during the summer. Does that mean that if I change my oil in May, I have to change it again in October when I start using it again?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner
My service contract says I have to prove I changed the oil/filter every 6 months or 5000 miles. I don't use my RV for 5 months during the summer. Does that mean that if I change my oil in May, I have to change it again in October when I start using it again?
Yup. Here's sneaky idea if you don't tell anybody. I had the same requirements and used my MH the same. I would go to Walmart around the six month mark and purchase six quarts and a filter and then do the change at a later date but I had a receipt that could show ( prove ) that the maintenance was done on time. Remember this is between us only.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #11

I also have two trucks and a V8 sand rail. One of the trucks is an oil hungry diesel. If I bought a bunch of oil, would one receipt do?
Old 03-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I also have two trucks and a V8 sand rail. One of the trucks is an oil hungry diesel. If I bought a bunch of oil, would one receipt do?
Only the shadow knows.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #13

What if I bought a 55 gallon drum? Do oil additives separate or oil go bad?
Old 03-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
What if I bought a 55 gallon drum? Do oil additives separate or oil go bad?
I googled it and most said that once the container is opened it begins to breakdown as contaminants and moister seep in.