Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2016, 09:45 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill06447 View Post
I've seen this very setup (and even took a video) a few years ago on I-95 in Connecticut. I'd have to assume s/he had a doubles endorsement on their license...
In many western states it's perfectly legal to triple tow, i.e. two trailers. Connecticut isn't one of them.

https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguid...triple_towing/

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2016, 04:45 AM   #16

Probably a dealer heading to an RV show

Old 10-09-2016, 05:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Michael View Post
I agree, I've seen this many times. Professional driver just doing a job. This is not "doubles". I pulled a 22ft car hauler behind a 41ft dp for many years with no problems.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:04 AM   #18
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
We had a member who towed a TT behind his diesel pusher MH.

It was for his mother-in-law.

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:12 AM   #19

The hitch on that Georgetown is only rated for 5,000 pounds. No way is it in limits of the hitch or the GCWR. I tow my Jerp Rubicon with my Georgetwn XL and am just below the hitch capacity.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:17 AM   #20

Entertainment at it's best!
Old 10-09-2016, 07:21 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill06447 View Post
I've seen this very setup (and even took a video) a few years ago on I-95 in Connecticut. I'd have to assume s/he had a doubles endorsement on their license...
NOT doubles. "doubles" is two TRAILERS.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:45 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Michael View Post
Zooming in on the image, there doesn't appear to be a license plate on the MH. Didn't see paper tag either. I don't know, maybe not needed for dealers in the state where this picture was taken?
Old 10-09-2016, 10:20 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
This may not be a every trip thing. When we vacationed at Disney World, I would tow my daughters pop up camper behind the motorhome. It was great. She and her family had there own private space and we had ours.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:59 PM   #24

Unless you're on a STAA route, maximum length in CA is 65', bumper to bumper. That certainly looks longer than that. That's not even considering the weight/tongue weight issues. In CA, anything over 10,000 lbs on a bumper hitch would also need at least a non-commercial Class A license, which includes having a DOT physical on file with the state.
Although it would probably take a bored DOT officer to pull him over on the highway, it definitely has been known to have DOT officers posted up at popular off road sites here in CA checking licenses, axle weights, and GVWR weights and writing citations for violations. If you don't have the proper license, the vehicle is impounded and towed.
BigDBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:38 PM   #25

The picture was taken on I 95 in West Palm Beach......
Old 10-09-2016, 09:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
In many western states it's perfectly legal to triple tow, i.e. two trailers. Connecticut isn't one of them.

https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguid...triple_towing/
Two trailers are towing double. https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcs...ion_508CLN.pdf
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:06 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
i can only tow 3500 lbs with our old Diesal pusher..so that big trailer is out..but towing a smaller one for MIL is hell of a idea;she rolls her own cigs and can stink up her own lil trailer.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:09 PM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I agree, logically two trailers should be double towing. But, if you look at the headline of the article I linked to, it said, "Triple Towing: What You Need To Know Before You Pull 2 Trailers Behind A Car, Truck, Or RV" Since I provided the link, I went back and changed my writing from double to triple.

We won't settle this here, it's been discussed on iRV2 many times and also many other places.

https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com/rv_towing-2/

Triple Towing
(The truck driver's response in the above link has the best explanation I've seen of the terms, but even the fine politicians of the various states aren't consistent with the terminology:

State Laws Can Pull You in Many Directions if You Double Tow - PickupTrucks.com News

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote