Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2015, 02:39 PM   #1

What trailer receiver/hitch for my 2002 Winnebago Chieftain ?

Hello guys,

Do you have a suggestion about what kind of trailer receiver/hitch/whatever should I purchase and put in my Motorhome so I can tow a proper trailer?

The motorhome model is 2002 Winnebago Chieftain, 12m/39' in length and about 10000kgs/22000lbs of weight.

Here is the slot (it is a 5.3cm x 5.3cm / 2'' x 2'' - measured):

Here are some better photos showing the receiver slot and rear end of the motorhome:
Album
As you can see, the rear is pretty long and it really makes large arc when turning, which (I'm guessing) will probably affect something.

What I plan to tow using this:
- 2000 kgs (4400 lbs) trailer with 2 horses
- Some bike mount

I live in europe so I am not really into the american standards of towing, so could you guys suggest something ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2015, 05:07 PM   #2

I just realized that my data is incomplete:

- 2000 kgs (4400 lbs) trailer with 2 horses (** this is total mass, including horses).

Old 09-23-2015, 09:29 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
What trailer receiver/hitch for my 2002 Winnebago Chieftain ?

That takes a standard 2" ball mount which can come with a 1 7/8", 2", or 2 5/16" ball depending on what you tow.

Typically they cost less than $40 including ball and retaining pin, and are widely available in the US.

Here is a picture of what you want.

http://www.etrailer.com/static/image...5036_4_500.jpg

and a link to purchase, but I am not sure if they ship internationally. Weight is just under 9 lbs

http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Curt/C45036.html

You can flip the ball so that it becomes a rise rather than a drop ball mount if you need the ground clearance. You can also get adjustable drops and different drops. Check around the site above.

Paul
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:43 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
But, you should tow with the frame of the trailer level. So you should measure how high off the ground the trailer ball should be to pull the trailer level/straight. Then you should measure how high the receiver is. Then you buy the mount that will achieve the correct tow height. They typically come straight, 2" (up or down, depending how you mount the ball), 4" (up or down, depending how you mount the ball), or even 6".

It varies for each tow vehicle, and item towed. For my motorhome w/dolly, it's a 4" drop. For my Suburban, with my stake trailer, it's a 6" drop. For my Suburban with boat trailer, it's straight.
Kiawah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:31 AM   #5

I have found the specs of my towing hitch:

The manufacturer is Valley, not Winnebago but It is clearly welded into the frame, so it had to be mounted at factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhittle View Post
That takes a standard 2" ball mount which can come with a 1 7/8", 2", or 2 5/16" ball depending on what you tow.

Typically they cost less than $40 including ball and retaining pin, and are widely available in the US.

Here is a picture of what you want.

http://www.etrailer.com/static/image...5036_4_500.jpg
Thanks for help, this is exactly what i wanted (I think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
But, you should tow with the frame of the trailer level. So you should measure how high off the ground the trailer ball should be to pull the trailer level/straight.
Can I purchase a variable height receiver to accommodate different trailers ?
Old 09-24-2015, 03:37 AM   #6

LoneTux, Where in Europe are you? I just last year returned from living in Germany (Molschbach, Rhineland pfalz) from 2010-2014, Loved every minute of our time in Europe.

Yes there are adjustable draw bars. http://www.etrailer.com/p-80414.html
1998 Foretravel U320LE 36' #5314
2014 Mercedes GLK250 diesel
2003 Subaru legacy L touring car
super7pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7pilot View Post
LoneTux, Where in Europe are you?
Poland.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTux View Post
Poland.
One of my favorite Prog rock bands (Riverside) is from Poland.

Only made it to Poland one time. I went east from Berlin on highway 1 to Kostrzyn. Where there was a huge and free music festival.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:16 AM   #9

Quote:
One of my favorite Prog rock bands (Riverside) is from Poland.
Only made it to Poland one time. I went east from Berlin on highway 1 to Kostrzyn. Where there was a huge and free music festival.
That's nice, I hope you had fun . Come any time.

However let's get back to the topic now, shall we ?
Old 09-25-2015, 12:46 AM   #10

OUCH. Just trying to be friendly.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:33 AM   #11

Quote:
OUCH. Just trying to be friendly.
Well, I apologize for that.

I just tried to be nice and avoid derailing the topic simultaneously. Unfortunately I am not really a very social person so that didn't go well.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:37 AM   #12

I'm an animal lover, so very likely extra cautious regarding pulling horses. It appears you would be operating within the gross capacity of the hitch, but still a couple of issues.

Tongue weight of horse trailers can vary widely. I would confirm that weight loaded as I plan on using it (w/saddles, tack, feed. etc).

Brakes? Will the MH need a controller installed? Have the triler brakes been checked/tested? Do the trailer brakes work?

Hitch condition (rust/corrosion)? Is the hitch properly installed (welded)? Even if the "factory" installed it, their ability to weld sometimes scary. Thinking it might be a good plan to have it looked at by a professional (not an RV dealer!). Note also that gas powered class A mh's use extensions on the chassis manf's frame rails to reach the rear of the coach. The manner used to fasten these extensions at the frame can often scare you (very questionable designs common). This would also be something I would want professionally inspected.

Last, many of the ball mounts available are made in China. They sell mounts that will fit your hitch that are made using hollow thin wall tubing. That's fine when you're pulling freight, but I'd want to confirm you're getting a quality part for a horse trailer. Heavy gauge tubing or better yet solid shank for me. Heavy built ball mounts are also drilled for 1.25" shank trailer balls (vs. 3/4" and 1").
Old 09-25-2015, 10:36 AM   #13

You can also use a "Rapid Hitch" but make sure your it can handle the weight you are planning to tow. It will allow you to adjust the tongue height regardless of what you are towing.

https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts...en/AM3413.html

By the way. I travel to Poland a few times a year and love it there. Nice people, and great food. Will be heading back to Strykow and Lodz in early November.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
I'm an animal lover, so very likely extra cautious regarding pulling horses.
I hear you, brother.

Quote:
It appears you would be operating within the gross capacity of the hitch, but still a couple of issues.
This is the kind of trailer we're talking about:

All european 2-horse trailers look like this (they're mostly made in Germany).
Features:
- Max weight with cargo [GTW ?]: 2000kgs (~4400lbs)
- Overrun brake
- Four wheels
- Can be towed even with 4400lbs SUV (little tongue weight).

Quote:
Tongue weight of horse trailers can vary widely.
Apparently does not apply to european 2-horse trailers.
They are all the same.
Tongue weight is very low.

Quote:
I would confirm that weight loaded as I plan on using it (w/saddles, tack, feed. etc).
No saddles (won't fit there anyway), little feed.

Quote:
Brakes? Will the MH need a controller installed? Have the triler brakes been checked/tested? Do the trailer brakes work?
I haven't bought the trailer yet, but I will be sure to test the brakes before purchase. That is literally the most important thing to check (apart from rust).

Quote:
Hitch condition (rust/corrosion)?
Very good.

Quote:
Is the hitch properly installed (welded)? Even if the "factory" installed it, their ability to weld sometimes scary.
Haven't given it that good look, but what I already saw looked fine.

Quote:
Thinking it might be a good plan to have it looked at by a professional (not an RV dealer!).
I will give it a serious thought.

Quote:
A mh's use extensions on the chassis manf's frame rails to reach the rear of the coach. The manner used to fasten these extensions at the frame can often scare you
Already checked that - the main-frame goes all the way to the back, looks very solid.

Quote:
Last, many of the ball mounts available are made in China. They sell mounts that will fit your hitch that are made using hollow thin wall tubing. That's fine when you're pulling freight, but I'd want to confirm you're getting a quality part for a horse trailer. Heavy gauge tubing or better yet solid shank for me. Heavy built ball mounts are also drilled for 1.25" shank trailer balls (vs. 3/4" and 1").
Valid concern.

I actually am thinking to buy more expensive all-forged mount.

Tags
winnebago