Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-01-2016, 06:46 AM   #15
I love this site! Not new to camping but new to having an rv.

As a kid my father used to rent a class a GMC motorhome each summer and we would go fishing on the great lakes in Canada. Growing up through high school and college we tent camped a lot and even into my 40's we would tent camp. This is about the time I started keeping an eye on what the others were doing camper wise... Part of my career was shipping high end show horses, jumpers and dressage. I managed one of my clients mobile tack store, fifth wheel and horse trailer. This is where I formed the love of a fiver. This is what I wanted.... Until my gf and I discussed her horse showing needs and mine. I really wanted the ability to be able to fire up and go with minimal set up. Generator as most shows are dry camping. She also would live in it for the winter in fla. So, we found our new to us 40 DP. I am mechanical so I can service and maintain it. To me all components are truck components so this was a no brainer. Long story short we love this rig. It was kind of like jumping straight into the fire but looking back wouldn't have done it any other way.

2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2016, 06:51 AM   #16
Freightliner Owners Club
Dtwallace what unit were you with at Ft Bliss in 1976? I also was at Ft Bliss in 1976-78. I was with the 978th mp co.

Leary54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:59 AM   #17
I grew up tent camping with my parents then we upgraded to a pop up. DH did not camp.

Parents bought a houseboat we camped on water instead of dry land.

Showed horses and had a truck camper then an ancient Winne Brave to tow the horses.

Years later and remarried, I finally talked my DH into getting something I could use to horse camp and we got a B+. I never did get to horse camp in it because he decided he liked to camp where he could fly fish.

B+ was too small for the 2 of us and our 2 boxers so we moved to a Class A gasser.

Class A gasser beat us to death on the roads so we now have the PERFECT coach for us, our 3433 Ventana.

I still haven't horse camped but we go to a lot of fishing holes.
Karen & Gary
Glamping is not for the faint of heart!
with furkids Gypsy & Cody &
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:14 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
We did a lot of fly/drive vacations. We backpacked and tent camped and went on extended whitewater rafting trips. We finally graduating from tents to hammocks. The bodies couldn't take getting up off the ground any more. The one thing we were missing was taking ouir fur kids with us. Yep, we bought our first 5th wheel almost entirely for that reason. Then we discovered that the cost of not boarding them almost offset the cost of diesel (for real). Once again, because of the dogs, we stepped up to our current MADP, so we could all ride in comfort, instead of crammed into a pickup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0267.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	125713  
Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:41 AM   #19

I camped as a child and teenager in TT's with my parents and DH tent camped with the Boy scouts. We were at the Syracuse Nationals car show when we decided to join the ranks of RV'ers and be able to travel self contained...with dogs! In addition Son and
and DIL owned a TT.

1) DH bought 1996 Class C off Craigs List without me seeing it! There was no way that I was going to use it! Brought it home cleaned it inside and buffed out side and sold it without ever using it. To our fortune made a profit of 4K.
2) Bought a 2003 Coachman Class C ...no slides. Used it 3 times and sold it to get a Class A. To date we have never pulled the car trailer. Another profit of 6K.
3) Bought a 2003 33' Windsport Class A Gasser

* This all transpired within 7 months.

4) Used the Windsport one year and Traded it on a 38" Fred. Once again we did very well financially.
5) Kept the FRED 2 years and decided to upgrade to DP. Went to 2015 Hershey Show and put money down on new 38' Holiday Rambler Ambassador DP. Came home did some additional research and decided to cancel the sale based upon reviews and feedback on IRV2. Also didn't like the fact that we would have had to taken out a loan...to date everything has been a cash sale.
6) Traded the FRED on a gently used 2008 Damon Tuscany 40' DP. Always loved Tuscany's and fell in love with the 4055 layout. Only used it three times to date...but happy so far. Didn't make out as well financially on this deal but didn't do bad considering it was a FRED.

I think we will keep this one for awhile....LOL.

Brian and Kim VanBuskirk
2008 Damon Tuscany 40 DP
Tow: 20" Trailer with Classic C3 Corvettes
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:18 AM   #20
Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife and I both came from families of modest means. My mother and dad divorced when I was four. Mother had a low paying job and dad left town. Both of our families thought a vacation was supposed to e spent with relatives. When we got married, we both worked for Delta Air Lines. We had never traveled with our families. On the spur of the moment we got up and decided to go to The smokey mountains. We spent the night in a motel and got up the next mourning and headed into the smokey mountain national park. We had no idea that there was not a McDonalds at every intersection. It was 4:30 that afternoon when we came across the campground at Cades Cove. We were almost sick from hunger. We bought cokes and snack's at the campground store. We looked at the campers and my wife said, If we had a camper we could carry our own food. In 1968 we bought our first camper and have been hooked ever since.
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:49 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Camped once in the Boy Scouts during the winter and nearly froze. Never again!

I was looking at 2 seater, red convertibles on the computer with the DW looking over my shoulder when a MH popped up on the screen. Wife said "I've always wanted a MH"...so one class C and two class A's later we are preparing to FT next year. We have loved every minute of it!
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:11 AM   #22
Monaco Owners Club
What type are you?

1. Tent
2. Viking pop-up
3. 1999 Coachmen Santara class C
4. 2005 Fleetwood Pace Arrow class A
5. 2008 Gulfstream Independence class A
6. 2012 Thor Serrano class A FRED
7. Current is a 2012 Monaco Knight class A DP

Took us a few tries but we found the right one for us. We would not change a thing since we have enjoyed trips with all of them.
Darrell & Valerie
2012 Monaco Knight 40PDQ & 2014 Fiat 500L
Dfullmer415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:12 AM   #23
I used to be a Scoutmaster and spent many nights sleeping on the ground many years ago. I jumped right into rv'ing after borrowing my BIL 22ft trailer. Bought a 97 40ft HR Imperial. Cut my teeth on it and now have a 42ft Safari Panther.
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:55 AM   #24
Damon Owners Club
I started with a tent,
conversion truck (topper)
2 pop ups
24 ft TT
27 ft TT
30 ft TT
38' gasser
40 DP
Mark & Shana Miller
2008 Tuscany 4072 DP
Go Gators
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:15 PM   #25
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
In 50 plus years of rving and camping, I've had all kinds starting in the following order.
Pup Tent (military).
Umbrella Tent, (Carried on top of a Volkswagon).
Tear Drop Trailer. (16 ft)
Pickup Truck Camper.
24 ft Travel Trailer
19 ft Class A Motor Home. (WInd Jammer)
29 ft Class A (Executive)
36 Ft C;lass A
36 Ft Diesel Pusher
38 ft Class A
A couple of 5th wheels 38 ft
34 ft travel Trailer
and my present 32 ft Hurricane class A.
I have had many more Recreational Vehicles over the years. To numerous to mention.
2006 Four Winds Hurricane 31D, Steer Safe, CHF, 50 Amp Conversion, 3000 Watt Inverter, Toad is a 2007 Jeep Liberty Sport. Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar, Apollo Braking System
mhbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:00 PM   #26
Fleetwood Owners Club
My Parents had an Aristocrat TT pulled by a 55 Olds, and later a 63 Pontiac. We went to Yosemite, Yellowstone, Glacier, and Grand Teton. Always had fun. In 1969, while deciding on a place to go, I said Huntington Lake. We camped out at Rancheria, and my Dad bought a summer cabin, where we stayed for the next 30 years.
When I got out on my own, I was living at Lake Tahoe, so that was like being on vacation all the time.
Eventually, I moved off the hill and have had the following units.
1956 Shasta TT towed by my 1959 Studebaker Truck
1961 Cad-O-Lac TT
1978 Terry TT towed by a Dodge maxivan, my children and I revisited Yellowstone, and discovered Lagoon, where we spent many a fun day camping at an amusement park.
1991 Wilderness that I lived in after my divorce to DW #1
1979 Cortez, the second to last one built by the bank (20010)
1998 American Teardrop DW #2 says it is too small for her, so I bought an oil rig in Bakersfield for this:
1992 Fleetwood Coronado. gasser.
So, now you know the rest of the story....
Visit Yosemite National Park, and say Hi! to the DW.
1992 Fleetwood Coronado
Retired Tour Bus Driver with 11655 days of safe driving.
Railhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:20 PM   #27
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I was 10 my parents rented a TT in 1957 and then ordered a 1958 KenCraft TT. Camped with them for years. Then, in 1967 I got my first TT and haven't been without one since. Guess you could say I grew up with them.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:43 AM   #28
we have had 2 t.t.,13 ' bell, 20' prowler, 1 27' coachman class c for 7 years , 1 32' georgieboy pursuit for 10 years, and now a 33 thor windsport for 8 years. i have always done my own work and enjoy it, have everything we need in the windsport. if i bought another unit, it would be a 34 ventana, ,looks like the perfect unit without getting too big. been everywhere ,but still things to see , but time running short.

'08 33' Windsport Ford 22k towing Ford Focus SE
billyb is offline   Reply With Quote