Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-03-2016, 10:25 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
A fun subject read.
Missed camping experience growing up. First experience was care of U.S. Army training in I believe a five man tent, this would have been Ft. Sill and Germany (155 battery). Second experience was backpacking with the first wife, out of SF Bay Area beginning 1970. Followed with a few car tenting trips. Then no camping for 17 years with second wife. RV experience started in 2004 with third (planned final) wife and a well used Winnebago 27' C. Next moved into a 27' 2004 Terry 5th wheel and a Dodge 2500. Since we weren't spending enough money on that combination, moved to a 2006 Winnebago Journey 32T DP with 2 slides. A great rig and sized for still getting into most Forest Service CGs, but the 2 slides felt a little tight for 2-3 week trips. So here were are in final rig, the Tiffin Phaeton with 4 slides: this we love, come June 1st, out of Tucson for 3 1/2 months (all in the West). I know we would never had started w/o the low cost entry of an older Class C. Looking back, probably realized that we should have skipped the 2 slide Winnebago, but the trades haven't been too bad--all bought and sold in the private market.

Vince & Patricia, Tucson--AZ, FMCA, RVMutants#130
With: Ch. "Carrie", Std. Schnauzer & "Sophie" Cocker
'06 Phaeton 40QDH + '11 Fiesta w/ AirForceOne.
"It is more important to know the journey is the destination than to get there quickly."
desertvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2016, 01:52 PM   #30
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I tent-camped when I was young as a Boy Scout; my wife tent-camped pretty regularly with her family when she was young. In our twenties and thirties, we tent-camped with groups of friends in Cherry Lake / Pollock Pines, Ca several times but it's been at least 25 years since we've done that.

However, though all of it I was never a fan of the tent. I was there for the friend experience; the tent was just a means to an end. As such, I would never have described myself as a "camper." Still don't.

Before we bought this rig neither of us had even set foot in an RV before. During my year-long research, the best advice I kept hearing over and over was, "Buy your third RV first." So there was no ramp up; we dove head-first into a 42' Class A DP and have never regretted it

2004 Newmar Mountain Aire 4302
pulling a 2013 Ford Edge Limited

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:08 PM   #31
Holiday Rambler Owners Club

Owning our Holiday Rambler is our first venture into camping. We have owned it 2 years and love the "camping" experience. As a child I lived on a farm with cattle so there was no way to go on vacations. When we got married we started our own business and again there was not very much time away. As we are approaching retirement we are going to rv our way around this wonderful country.
Stan, Mary & Maggie the Canine Princess
2013 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 36pft
2006 Envoy Toad
diva51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:58 PM   #32
19' to 27' to 30' Airstream Travel Trailers to our current 40' Airstream DP...
Wobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:48 PM   #33
Borrowed a travel trailer a couple of times, like it. Bought a class a Winnebago had a blast.

Thought hey a big Toy Hauler would be great. Bought one, not so happy with it.

Jumped on a very slightly used Excursion, changed the shocks, fixed a few things that were easy enough and back to having fun again.

No more trailers for me, I learned my lesson I guess.
2014 Excursion 35B
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:13 AM   #34
Freightliner Owners Club
Started with tents and then worked our way up through the cycle of pop-ups (2), class A w/ kids, class C (after kids moved out), then diesel pusher (life long dream).

I'd be interested to know the success rate of first time big rig purchasers as it's hard to believe someone without prior camping experience can all of a sudden acclimate.
2012 Sportscoach Cross Country 385 DS Freightliner XCR w/ Cummins ISB 6.7L 340 hp
2009 Saturn Vue, Blue Ox Alpha, RVi Brake 2
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:57 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
My History of Recreation

I started out with a 2-man tent. Once married, we progressed to a wall size tent with our two boys. Upgraded to a pop-up tent camper after enduring many vacations in the rain when using the wall tent. We had the pop-up camper for many years and lots of miles. Then on two separate trips to Alaska I rented two different size Class C's to use while visiting with my sons living there. After some research and looking at what was available I purchased a 1992 Class A 36 foot Airstream Landyacht back in 2002 that came with a 1997 Saturn SW-2. I used that full-time for one year and decided that it was not large enough to full-time RV in with regards to both storage and power. After more research, going to RV shows and talking to a LOT of people I finally decided that a 40 foot diesel pusher would fit my needs perfectly. I chose the 2002 Monaco Windsor PBT Triple Slide model coach for many reasons plus it gave me the best bang for the buck and had everything that I needed to live comfortably while Full-Time RVing. I then found exactly what I needed advertised on the Internet that was only a 3 hour drive from where I was living in CA at the time. Did the deal and immediately moved into the coach back in December 2003.

The 2002 Windsor has been R HOME for the past 12+ years right up until recently when I finally decided to purchase a beach home in Florida on the Atlantic side where we had spent a few winters. Now we are part-time RVer's and quickly adapting to the larger space with more room to spread out and lots of storage.

No plans to give up RVing. That's where you will find us during those HOT summer months of Florida while touring around country seeking out cooler weather.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:02 AM   #36
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by mvpmich View Post

I'd be interested to know the success rate of first time big rig purchasers as it's hard to believe someone without prior camping experience can all of a sudden acclimate.
I'd really love to know that statistic as well. We knew a couple who bought a MH (never having camped prior) the rig sat in the driveway. The man was just overwhelmed with all the moving parts. They never took it anywhere and sold it. Sad. My dealer told us he has had couples drive off in a rig. Maybe take it out a few times and gets a call wanting to sell it back. Couldn't figure out the lifestyle. Campgrounds, gassing, up , maintenance etc. It's a lot to take on if you've never experienced any camping....ever...
Coleman pop-up
Jayco Kiwi, Jayco Eagle
Monaco Knight 2006
Hammer bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:31 AM   #37
Having never really camped prior I was driving home one day and saw a TT (Nash, 19ft) with a large window on one side (by dining table). Gee, there's a good reason to by my first TT (and first thing I ever towed). Got the Supreme Commander to go look and decided it would make a great anniversary present.

Did that for two years and finally making and unmaking the bed (to get a couch) got old. Went shopping found a small 5th wheel (Prowler, 24ft, one slide-out) that went with our truck.
Did that for about two years and along the way got a bigger truck. Soooo, of course, we then bought a bigger 5th wheel (Artic Fox, 28ft, two slides).

About three years later started looking at motorhomes. Shopped for about 7 months and ended up buying the 2nd unit we ever looked at. Newmar Kountry Star, Class A DP, 38ft, two slides. That was Sept 10, 2001 (the day before the tower fiasco). Drove that for the next 15 years!

Supreme Commander thought she'd like to downsize, now that it was just us and the four-legged fur kids. Been looking off and on for the past two years and last week she walked into a Class C (Forester 3011DSF, two slides and front entertainment center). She walked in, took one look, proclaimed "I love it" and we are now (since last week) the proud owners.

This all started in '94, through two kids, four grand-kids, several dogs and even a pot-bellied pig (yes she loved camping). Now it's mostly the two of us, Zoey (Boxer), Kona (Golden Retriever) and the occasional grand-kid. Lots and lots of great memories.
Remember, we are all good at something... I happen to be a good bad example.

2016 Forest River Forester 3011DSF
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:35 AM   #38
Damon Owners Club
Well, this made me think...a pop up camper with Mom & Dad with a brother and sister for about four years in the early 1960's. Not even a teen yet! In the 80's got into sailboats...small at first 24 footer, then 28, now a 40 footer! ...all because of finance. Did Lake Erie cruising.
Now, the RV'en...Last year want to spend some time in Florida during the winter. Did not want to rent a spot and just stay put. So, Me, the SO and two 60 pound dogs bought a new to me 2006 Jayco Designer for the king bed, our kids have to sleep with us. And let me tell you...I never thought I'd have a 5ver! I was looking and wanting a DP so bad! Just think they are cool! But the 5ver package just made more sense. A high volume production tow unit that a dealer can fix, if required...and the low volume less complex living space. But I have to park a dually for dinner! But it seems OK...even in driving in an old downtown city like Mobile, AL...but it was really, really tight in some spots! got off subject a bit...
5.9l cummins in a 03 RAM 3500 DRW, pulling a 07 Jayco Designer 34RLQS... all new to me...haul'en me, my sweetie...and man's best friend, our stubby tailed (no tail at all) Australian cattle & Boxer mix rescue dog!
oldeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:41 AM   #39
I grew up in the military family. We moved a lot. "Camping gear" was all over the house,..... backpacks, boots, compasses, knives, gas masks, guns, topo maps,.....the works. Papa went out with his backpack over his shoulder, and stayed away for months at times.

First camping trip for me was with Boy Scouts. It was fabulous! Weather was good, it was a great feeling to sit by the fire late at night, and tell scary stories. Uniforms were fantastic. We had compasses, knives, topo maps,......"we were soldiers". Camping was GREAT!

Then we moved to Europe. I was a teenager, with a motorcycle. We lived in Germany at the time. I crisscrossed European continent on various motorcycles (always looking for "bigger and faster" bike!). Sleeping bag and a pup tent with me, I've seen just about every Formula 1, and GP (motorcycle) race of the mid to late 70s. Rock concerts too. I learned (fluently) five European languages (mother was teaching three at the local university). Then I got my first set of drums for my b-day. Soon I had a band, toured with the band, sleeping in vans. Long hair was in, .......motorcycles were big Japanese UJMs.....rock was hard.....life was good. I loved camping.

Then Papa said it was time to "make something out of myself" (and one never questioned Papa's orders!). I went into Academy. They cut my long hair, but they allowed me to play drums in the military band! It was fun. Camping was OK, but nothing like the Boy Scouts! These people went out in the worst possible weather ("that's when the enemy would attack"!)!! BS, I said to myself,.....just a sick way of torturing us. I hated camping.

After a short while, something happened! I started to push myself in some sick masochistic way, to "see how far I can go, and how much I can take"......quitting was NEVER in my vocabulary. I pushed hard, and I went far. I graduated at the top of my class. I also dug myself out of the tent covered with 2' of snow, way too many times to remember. But it was still OK to squat by the fire at night (one could not sit down in the ankle deep mud), talk to the friends, and sneak a drink or two when nobody was watching. Falling face first into the fire, (falling asleep while squatting) was not so much fun.

After graduation, the wars came. That WAS FUN (most of the time),..... except camping. The stench of the gear/bodies, mixing with the smell of cordite, burning crude, and blood....hard to describe to someone that never smelled it. Mingling with locals that never heard the word "deodorant" was hard. Being in the same boots/socks for days, mortar coming in, snipers, IEDs....at least the weather was nice (if the wind didn't blow the sand everywhere). The sand gets into the places (unmentionable places!) one would never think the sand can get into. Camping was no fun.

Another place was just the opposite........RAIN....a lot of rain, mixing with snow,....freezing cold. We "traveled light - froze at night". Wet socks, wet gear, wet underwear, ....and the snipers, mortar, IEDs .....the works. Locals over there "didn't believe" in deodorant either,.....at least it was cold. Cold, damp, fresh mortar craters smelled strangely good. It was nice to sleep in them, but not much fun in camping. One night on the frozen mountaintop I promised to myself....."I'll NEVER go camping again".

26 years went by VERY fast.

It was Monte Carlo, Esplanade Intercontinental, Peninsula, and the finest hotels around the world the money can buy from that point on. Room service. Mini bars. Women. That WAS FUN.

In my fourth marriage, somehow I ended up with bunch of animals (always loved ALL kinds of animals!), and my movements became restricted. Leaving my dogs in kennels was upsetting me. Staying with them in "pet friendly hotels" was BELOW ANY accommodation standards I was accustomed to (including the mountains of Bosnia and Kosovo).

Wife suggested "an older RV" so we can travel with dogs. And it happened! It was a gas Bounder 34' long, and trashed inside. I gutted it out, replaced everything inside, and took it on the road. It was FABULOUS! Dogs loved it,...... they were running on the beach, I was grilling my steaks, single malt in my hand, sucking on Monte Christo, and the sun was sinking into Pacific. My young wife was as sexy as she was six years ago when I met her. Camping was GREAT again!

And then we drove into the mountains. Bounder was doing 25MPH on the mountain passes, and the big OTR trucks were whizzing by. Somehow I restrained myself of pulling over, and putting that beast out of its misery, with a well placed bullet through its block.

I came home, sold the Bounder, and purchased 40' DP.

Camping is GREAT again!

I don't give/take orders any more. I do what I want, when I want. My motorcycle is in the back of my DP, and I still play drums whenever I want to.

I think I came full circle.
1995 Vogue Prima Vista
Danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:56 AM   #40
National RV Owners Club
I cut my teeth tent camping. My family as a child always spent the season between Memorial day and Labor day camping. My firat memory as a wee little tot (we were camping with me as a baby so i have been told) we camped with 2 addults and 3 small children in a 10' x 10' canvas cabin tent. We graduated to a huge Sears and Robuck canvas tent (that I still have in my garage and is still used by my adult son) that I swear will sleep 20 adults. We camped some as a married couple up until a few years ago and the DW hates waking up in a tent and will never camp again.

The wife grew up in a family that always has some kind of camper. Started with a small Shasta or Palimino pull behind, pop up tt, slide in truck campers and a couple of motor homes. The last one I traveled with them in was a Winigego Brave.

We entered into the RV lifestyle this past November with our new to us 1998 33' National Sea Breeze gasser and are loving it. Tis has been a bit of a fixer upper as expected but pretty minor stoff so far. We did our maiden voyage of 2500 miles to Florida with 2 16 year old boys (1 ours and 1 not) and our fat cat who does not do well when we leave her for more than a couple of days. She traveled very well and will be going on most of our trips. We are luring our grown children and grand children and spouses to travel with us some. We have a trip from central Indiana to Macinaw city planned for the July fourt holiday with our daughter, SIL, grandson, and yet to be grandson that will arrive sometime in September.

Next chapter will be full timing as soon as we can. I hope that we can keep the Sea Breeze we have now for that as the DW is in love with it. Long story short, yes, we were both campers prior to buying our first motor coach.
1998 National Seabreeze 1330 Limited Chevrolet P37 chassis 7.4 Vortec 2014 Jeep JKU Sport Toad
Me, Beautiful DW, sometimes kids & grandkids
m.elliott63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:11 PM   #41
Started with Super 8 and eventually moved up to Red Roof Inn. As time went on, we splurged on Holiday Inn and eventually Marriott and Hyatt. We've just begun with a Jayco Grayhawk. Loved it, but needed some extras. So after 11 months, traded it for a new Coachmen Mirada BH with a bath and a half. Plus a toad in the form of a new Jeep.

Seriously, we were camping virgins. But have become RVs who travel and enjoy this next chapter. Only thing, I miss taking the little bottles of shampoo...

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Western New York
Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree
2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude, Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #42
Country Coach Owners Club
1. Tented with Parents on Vacation.
2. Involuntarily camped and hiked the green jungle of Vietnam.

Swore I would never camp again!!

23 years later......

3. 40' Boat with two cabins and two heads and all the comforts of home.

replaced by

4. 38" MH, current rig, with all the comforts of home.

I am an RVer, not a camper!!

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote