Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-30-2016, 10:54 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
What type are you?

So another post made me think about this: when you bought your MH did you work your way up to it or were you a "virgin" and never owned any type of camping gear ever? When we bought our MH our dealer said he thought about 10% of MH buyers had never owned any type of TT/pop-up or tent previously. And tagging onto that I wonder what the success ratio would be for people who never camped before. (doing lots of thinking tonight)

Coleman pop-up
Jayco Kiwi, Jayco Eagle
Monaco Knight 2006
Hammer bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2016, 11:10 PM   #2
April, 2015 - our first venture in the rv world. 2002 Winnebago Untimate Advantage. DP. Been a financial nightmare, but we love it so much I don't care.

TheJanieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We started with a tent many years ago, moved up to a camper & pickup in 1974, then to a class C MH in 2000, moved to a class A in 2004, & on to our current DP in 2006. I would think the majority of people would enjoy MH'ING whether they had ever camped before or not.
Lee & Diane
2005 Itasca Horizon AD
Columbia, CA
Diane98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:24 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
My signature says it all. As a kid we tented (painfully) all across the country. I swore as an adult I"d never do that to my kids. So we started with a pop-up. The TT grew with our kids. I remember being envious of the class A people. They'd pull in,push a button, out come the slides, push another and woosh! the MH is level. I'd also dream about driving for hours on end not stopping for a "potty" break... Now that we have our "Monty the MH" I couldn't be happier. It was a long time coming!
Coleman pop-up
Jayco Kiwi, Jayco Eagle
Monaco Knight 2006
Hammer bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:26 PM   #5
I don't know if the psychiatrists have a term for my "Type". Maybe "Extreme"?

When I bought my first motorcycle, it was the biggest that the Japanese made at the time.

When I bought my first outboard boat, ditto.

When I bought my first RV of any sort, it was a 37 foot DP.

At age 72, I finally settled into an A-Frame.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:27 PM   #6
I was an avid tent camper in my teens and twenties and then did more traveling and hoteling in my thirties. In my early forties my dad surprised me when he bought a late 80s 32" Bounder DP. We had planned a trip for the maiden voyage but he got tied up and let me take it out with my family.

I was pretty much hooked after that and ended up using it for several years before he even used it. Then we were Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1462080448.662155.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	125700planning a family reunion in another province and of coarse he was planning on using it himself.

Even the wife agreed it was time to get our own and we ended up getting a little bit newer and bigger unit with a slide. Love having my own bed and everything ready to go at anytime. Usually drive by the grocery store on the way out and stock up and then hit the hiway.

97 Bounder 36S 460. Pulling as many quads as I can fit on the trailer or get started!
97 Fleetwood Bounder 36S on F53 chassis 460 with as many quads on the trailer that I can fit or get running!
Quaddinmad40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:54 PM   #7
Started with tents, then 2 travel trailers, 2 fifth wheels and now our motorhome.
2015 Thor Challenger 37KT : 2015 Jeep Patriot Toad
Nights Glamping:
2016 (32), 2015 (42), 2014 (36), 2013 (63)
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:39 AM   #8
So glad you asked this question. To each one of us, to express the joy of what we do and from where it all started for us is an interesting story.
Ours goes like this,
DW and I were introduced to camping when I was still a young soldier stationed at El Paso, TX, in 1976, the year we lost Elvis.

We were invited to join some new friends we had just met there on a tent camping trip into the beautiful New Mexico Mountains, and except for a friendly visit from the local bear community, and a short bout with a little food poisoning, it was a blast. We knew we would continue doing this on our own for the rest of our lives.

We brought all the tent camping equipment we could afford from stores and yard sales. Our kids and pets loved it also, and we continued to amass more equipment than we really needed, just because.

Then we got our first trailer. On a soldier’s pay it was just a small popup but we loved it at first. Then we took a trip to West Virginia one autumn and we realized the need for heat that this trailer didn't afford. Also we discovered the difficulty in packing one up in cool weather when the door seals didn't want to cooperator.

That one was traded in for a 24 foot hard side that taxed heavily on our tow vehicle at the time.
A trip to spend Thanks Giving with relatives in the mountains of WV, and being caught by surprise by a snow storm on (I64) on the way convinced us to look for a larger tow vehicle before planning any future trips.

That trailer lasted us another two years before DW when window shopping found a larger one, 32 feet with a beautiful bathroom being the main selling point. We had our larger tow vehicle so the pull was no issue at that time; however I learned the value of properly setting up our weight and balance working with this new trailer. It was a hand full if not right, and still required constant attention while driving when the balance was right on. I learned; never buy a trailer with the wheels mounted in the center.

Next was a toy hauler, now this was the best I'd ever pulled and used for camping.
So somewhere along the line from tents to trailers, friends started pointing out, that with the trailer I had, I was no longer a camper but a homesteader on wheels. I had made up my mind long ago, never to sleep on the ground again, so I guess they were right.

One more toy hauler this time a fiver, I loved that one and it was supposed to be the last one for us. Then one day DW had an issue with the landing gear lock failing on her, (due to human error). With this she decided we should look for something that she could just jump in and drive away when I'm not there to do the hookup duties.

We got our DP form the same dealer we got the fiver from in Virginia. After looking over a few fixer uppers, DW fell in love with Big Bertha, our 43 foot Fleetwood providence 42P (DP) . She was the first one to test drive her and having commercial truck driving experience it was like she and Bertha were meant for each other.

For sure this is the last one we will ever buy, and it's been the best of all we've ever owned. Some things as far as what you can take with you and how, is an adjustment you have to make when you move from trailer to any class motor home.

But for us It's the best, but I no longer call what we do camping. It's more like exploring in comfort.

Dan & Loretta, US Army Retired Aero Scout Pilot
2012 Fleetwood Providence 42P Class A/DP
Spartan Chassis, 8.9L Cummins 450HP
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:46 AM   #9
Currently in our 2nd rv, first was a '70 Chev Suburban with no rear seats.
2003 Itasca Sunrise 32v F53
Okiedoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:10 AM   #10
I grew up camping with my dad just about every weekend. We didn't camp for the sake of camping. Camping was what we had to do because the places were we rode and raced our motorcycles were fairly remote.

When I started racing mountain bikes it was the same thing. Camping was a necessity at most races as they were rather far away. Of course, when it's 3am, pouring down rain and your tent is flooding while you're trying to catch a quick nap during a 24hr race; RVs start looking really good.

Once I started getting more involved in endurance racing (8/12/16/24hr long races) it was time to pick up an old, "well worn" class C.

Of course, now that I'm married with kids, it was time to get a "timeshare on wheels", aka a large class A RV.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:52 AM   #11
We each have a tale to tell about by what mechanism or method we came to motor homing. For me it was a natural progression from being a Scout camping with my father. I learned then that I almost always wanted to stay longer and in seemingly worsening weather conditions, then my present equipment would allow. Like most, I have shivered from the cold and endured wet soggy sleeping-bags in drowned tents floors enough to know when to come out of the elements.
The equipment for camping improved as my pockets would allow and my body would demand. A 4 season tent, air mattresses and down sleeping bags are still part of my motorcycle adventure gear for the more remote locations, but they still have (for me) limitations for poor weather. I would like to believe I am still a great fan of mother nature. I yet possess a weathered pair of hiking boots, hat and walking stick, though now out of aluminum vs a wooden branch. Motor homing simply allows me the ability to remain were I choose to be and certainly in better comfort than I ever deemed possible all those years ago snowed in under my pine branch lean-to shivering in the cold. I'd like to believe that at last I have grown wiser and simply purchased better camping gear as an adult Boy Scout.
RunninRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:57 AM   #12
I was a city girl whose parents would never dream of camping. Started camping with DH's family in a converted school bus before we were married. Loved it and was hooked! Married DH and bought a Giles TT that had a roof leak we never could fix. Then kids came along and bought 28' Resort TT. Great layout and worked well. Sold it so DH could go back to school. Next came two Popups and one HiLo cause that's all we could afford. Many years later, 3 kids through college, we bought the RV we had always dreamed of, 40' DP HR Endeavor. Today we like to go to RV shows and look at new DP's but never have seen any that we like as much as the one we own. 40 years - Happy wife, happy RV life.
Dan and Ann and heinz 57 pups, Petey and Patty
2003 HR Endeavor PST
Dan and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:05 AM   #13
1.Tent(still have in attic)
2. Small 5th Wheel
3. Larger 5th Wheel w/slideout
4. Bunkhouse 5th Wheel w/slideout
6. Lance 200 Truck camper
7. Lance 1090 Truck Camper
8. Lance 1055 Truck Camper
9. Lance 1050S Truck Camper w/slideout (Still have)
10. Hurricane 29A Motor Home (Sold yesterday)
11. 34W Expedition Motor Home (Still have) w/slideout
JumboJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:06 AM   #14
Pop Up
MH (80 something Pace Arrow Gasser)
Pop Up
Travel Trailer

Long gap

Hybrid TT
Excursion DP
Discovery DP

That's over about 30 years. Camping was our way of spending time with our kids. Our Boys are grown, but we're starting over with a 7 year old. I'd say my wife is the driving force behind our camping habit, but obviously I love it too. I don't know if we'll ever have a real retirement due to our young daughter, so we're doing a much of it now while we're still relatively young and capable.

If it were just me, I might be tempted to go with a smaller class B, but that would probably not work for 3 and my wife likes having a full condo on wheels.

2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2014 CRV w/EZ Tow
jondrew is offline   Reply With Quote