Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2011, 10:17 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
What type of shocks??

I see that most people with DP's have switched over to Koni Shocks. I went with Road Kings and hawked my first born to buy them. I am wondering if anyone else has Road Kings and what their experiences with them are. Looking forward to a great discussion on these.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2011, 10:28 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I got rid of the Koni FSDs and bought the RKs. Not a lot to say except I wasted $$ on the Konis. I am more than pleased with the Road King and wish that I had gone with my instinct in the first place. An excellent shock for heavier coaches.

My friend installed some on the rear of his Tradewinds and he feels they were well worth the money.

Anyone want to buy a slightly used set of FSDs?

Old 11-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

As many DP owners have switched to Bilsteins as Koni at a fraction of the cost. Back to back testing in Motorhome magazine show the ride between all three top brands is so close that it is better to save the money and get the Bilsteins. The big problem is Monaco installed Monroe shocks on many DPs which are real bad shocks that wear out fast and become almost dangerous in ride and handling. These bad Monroe shocks are yellow in color top and bottom and Bilsteins are yellow on the bottom and blue on the top so people think that their bad Monroes are Bilsteins. Monaco use Bilsteins on their top models such as Navigators and Signatures because the ride is so well. I wish we all had the luxury of being able to try each of the top brand shocks and compare them ourselves. I think it makes a big difference as to how many airbags and shocks, the length and the weight of the MH as to how it rides and tracks. I can tell you this that I read all these posts about people wanting to improve the handling of their DPs and how much money they are spending to do it and I was like that with my previous MH but there is just nothing wrong with my now tag axle MH with 10 airbags and 10 Bilstein shocks on the Roadmaster S chassis. It tracks as true as can be even in high winds and can be driven with one finger. I would not wish to make any improvements to the ride. I have had to make one emergency maneuver at 65 mph when a car ran a stop sign in front of me and I was amazed how well it handled.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:34 PM   #4

You will find with many forums and many replacement parts that are purchased and used,,,many of the high buck parts get mentioned...now ask.. are they mentioned to let everyone know the owner spent big bucks? Are they raved about because they have to be better because they cost more? I would venture to say...there is at least if not more Bilsteins bought and installed as there are Konis...

Perfect example: There ae many posts raving the new Konis along with the new sway bars..all installed at same time...Think about what a sway bar does.....basically it makes the opposite side of the vehicle work against the other (in laymans terms). This drastically increases the stiffness of the suspension by adding another shocks dampening into the equation...along with the opposite sides normal suspension operation...Now are 2 Konis working as 1 via a sway bar actually going to be smoother riding than 1 proper operating Koni or 1 Bilstein?..laws of physics say NO.

I may be wrong with the above opinion...but after many years of reading....the big buck items always seem to get a lot of ink. I have always wondered....lets take 1 RV....swap all the shocks...let the owner drive it without knowing which shocks are installed....I'd be curious to see those results
Old 11-15-2011, 12:52 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Barry let us know how you like the Road Kings after you have had them on for a while.

dons2346 what kind of coach did you put the RKs on?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:00 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I think this is a perfect to post the Motorhome Magazine Shock Test again. I which they had used more different types of MHs in the test. Maybe one with just four shocks, then one with eight shocks because I think it makes a difference. As does the length of the MH. Short MH have a choppy ride and react differently to bumps than longer MHs. What is interesting is the chart with the scoring of the shocks the Koni, RK and Bilsteins were equal in all tests except the rough road which RK scored a little lower in because it was felt they were too hard,.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Shock Testing.pdf (2.55 MB, 82 views)
Old 11-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Barry let us know how you like the Road Kings after you have had them on for a while.

dons2346 what kind of coach did you put the RKs on?
I installed them on a '02, 40ft, Country Coach Intrigue.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Shocks

Mike, thanks for that very informative post.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:53 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There must be different grades of Bilsteins to account for the different opinions. Anyone know?

Our 2007 39 ft gas Gulf Stream Sun Voyager came with Bilsteins on the W24 chassis. It was worse than bad, it was dangerous. The sway from side to side was very scarry, especially in turns. Adding Koni FSD's "only" without any other upgrade made the coach much, much more stable. Not necessarily softer, but more stable.

Maybe the RK's are better yet.

Note: Motorhome magazine is associated with Camping World who sells - guess what - Bilsteins. Anyone connect those dots regarding the article??

Best of luck. Any upgrade that improves safety is a wise investment.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

No John there are not different grades of Bilsteins. Are you sure they were Bilsteins and not Monroes? Many people have made that mistake because they are the same color yellow on the bottom but the Bilsteins have blue rubber dust covers on top and the Monroes have yellow metal dust covers on top. I find it hard to believe that if they were Bilsteins that they were so bad. Here is a picture of a Bilstein used on a MH. I think that is a false assumption on the Motorhome Magazine. Guilty by association, wow. Source Engineering Inc use Bilsteins on all their chassis enhancement kits http://rv-chassis.com/index.html
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2011, 05:02 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnandcaren View Post
There must be different grades of Bilsteins to account for the different opinions. Anyone know?

Our 2007 39 ft gas Gulf Stream Sun Voyager came with Bilsteins on the W24 chassis. It was worse than bad, it was dangerous. The sway from side to side was very scarry, especially in turns. Adding Koni FSD's "only" without any other upgrade made the coach much, much more stable. Not necessarily softer, but more stable.

Maybe the RK's are better yet.

Note: Motorhome magazine is associated with Camping World who sells - guess what - Bilsteins. Anyone connect those dots regarding the article??

Best of luck. Any upgrade that improves safety is a wise investment.
Bilsteins are designed for your specific model MH. Not one fits all. I installed them on my MH and I have been haapy with the results.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All I know is that I took off Sachs shocks and replaced them with Koni's and MCU's.
The ride is completely different, in a very good way. I love how this Freightliner handles now. It is now a pleasure top drive.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstonebay View Post
All I know is that I took off Sachs shocks and replaced them with Koni's and MCU's.
The ride is completely different, in a very good way. I love how this Freightliner handles now. It is now a pleasure top drive.
Bingo! +1
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:10 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mike,

Well maybe I'll learn something here.
My shocks were black on the home, so I figured Monroes.
It was a hard choice between Bilsteins and Konis, but with so may positive post on the FSDs, thats what I did.

THEN: Once removed, I saw that the shocks on the home were yellow and not black. It was paint from the coach mfgr. So - they were Bilsteins. Also Workhorse absolutely shows my VIN as having Bilsteins.

BUT: The tops were not metal as you referenced but thin plastic instead. I could flex the plastic with just two fingers. Major cheap. And the koni's probably weighed 3 to 4 times as much as the OEM ones.

The shocks on my home were nothing like the Bilstein for motorhomes posted on their website, adding to the confusion.

So either Bilstein used to make a cheaper poor performing shock, or Workhorse either has wrong records or made a big goof.

Regarding guilt by association, you bet. I am not near that naive.

So based on your comments, I cannot confirm what was on there. But they were clearly very bad performers.

Tags
shocks