Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO there are no unexpected repairs. A motorhome is like any other article in that it will deteriorate and have to be repaired or replaced. It may happen faster in a motorhome than in say a S&B because you will be driving it down some pretty rough roads.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2016, 12:07 PM   #16

Marjoa,
I had this same interest or hesitation when we purchased our first coach a 2008 Dynasty several years ago. We have never owned a coach of any size or type before and never camped. Over the past years we have had many issues come about--like an injector fail, a fuel relay valve become stuck, the control board for generator fail, the Aqua Hot system #1 system short out, and the EGR emissions system fail. All of these item was an expense in excess of $1000.00. Fortunately we purchased a warranty and ended up out-of-pocket $250. In retrospect, our coach has served us well and we continue to enjoy every minute aboard her- and currently she runs better than new!

Old 09-11-2016, 12:19 PM   #17
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I have to chuckle at this topic - what "unexpected repairs" should I expect?

A radiator might run $3000 or more. A new fuel injector pump might run several thousand dollars. But a new roof a/c unit might be under &1000 (installed) and a new water pump only a few hundred.

We've found that an "unexpected" budget of around $1000/year usually gets used up. That's in addition to expected expenses, which include routine annual maintenance as well as routine longer term items such as tires and batteries.
Well to be fair and accurate, the OP said "what might be ahead" not what should I expect.

Thanks for your comments.
marjoa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:20 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
2003 maquis bought two years ago . 4 months in I noticed a small radiator leak diag was to replace the side radiator. I got quotes from 7000 to 10000 ( highly respected dealers as the highest) from several highly recommended repair shops and ended up paying 7500 for the total. Repair of the aluminum radiator wasn't possible so had to go the "new" route 16 hours of labor was the biggest expense after the radiator itself Motorhome had over 100,000 miles so was not eligible for any service contract.
We keep 10% of our purchase price as a cash reserve for emergency which will cover almost all but a engine or transmission failure (35-20 grand) keep in mind these toys aren't cheap to fix unless you have a shop and can do your own work .
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:23 PM   #19
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJo View Post
Marjoa,
I had this same interest or hesitation when we purchased our first coach a 2008 Dynasty several years ago. We have never owned a coach of any size or type before and never camped. Over the past years we have had many issues come about--like an injector fail, a fuel relay valve become stuck, the control board for generator fail, the Aqua Hot system #1 system short out, and the EGR emissions system fail. All of these item was an expense in excess of $1000.00. Fortunately we purchased a warranty and ended up out-of-pocket $250. In retrospect, our coach has served us well and we continue to enjoy every minute aboard her- and currently she runs better than new!
Well, if you ask me "an expense in excess of $1000.00" isn't bad at all.

Keep these great comments coming. You all are so awesome. I can't wait till we actually have our own MH and can contribute instead of consume.
marjoa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:39 PM   #20

We've had our '97 for about 5 years now. Maybe 40k miles to date. It's served us very well, and about the only real surprise was a failed turbo that resulted in a 2500 bill right after we got it. This coach is 20 years old now, and I still trust it to go anywhere. Proof being we're 10 days into a planned 30 day trip starting in the Detroit area, and taking us through and around the Glacier and Yellowstone National Park areas. In other words, I have total confidence in it.

The coach is a huge pile of weather resistant mechanized and electronic systems though, and am very aware that any one of those could let us down with another "surprise". Am I worried about it? Nope. We bought it at a price where we could just about walk away from it at this point, and it wouldn't owe us a thing.

The fact you are able and willing to do the repairs that you can do is really key here. It's just about all you need to go for a project like this.....
Best of luck.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #21

Some people have bad luck and others like me just send yearly maintenance then you buy tires and your butt puckers.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:45 PM   #22

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Some people have bad luck and others like me just send yearly maintenance then you buy tires and your butt puckers.
Hahaha haha! Now THAT was funny! But true! Thanks! Haha haha,
Old 09-11-2016, 03:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
My wife & I are still on the fence about getting a used 40' DP (maybe a tag) and really want to for the obvious reasons. Cutting right to the chase so we can understand what might be ahead, besides the regular maintenance items & costs—Here's our question—what unexpected repair items have you ran into on your DP and what were the costs?
marjoa
I've had my 35' Safari DP for 15 years (and I've driven it over 120,000 miles).
I can't tell you what unexpected repairs you might encounter... but I can tell you this: If you use the coach and keep everything in working order, as I do.... and do most everything yourself, you will spend far more on than you expect you will.....(think $1,000-$1,500 per year for unexpected repairs/replacements... and countless hours).
Mel
'96 Safari, 148k miles
(with EVERYTHING maintained, and working, properly).
Old 09-11-2016, 03:22 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
ISX dropped a valve in #6 2,500 miles after we bought it, cost was $33,000 but Cummins paid $10,400 of it. This was the second instance of it, the first was at 14,000 miles and was fully covered by the original owners warranty. Add to that three turbo's at about $4,000 each and two DPF's at $3,500 plus labor.
At 45,000 miles that's pretty extensive. Seems Cummins didn't do enough R&D on the 600 and 650 HP 2007 EPA model ISX's.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:46 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Yes I know, that why in my OP I specified "unexpected repairs in your DP". I know all MH's have things come up but I'm particularly interested in these "unexpected DP issues" just so I can get an idea of what we might face down the road and kinda get an idea of what these things cost. But all comments are certainly welcome don't get me wrong. I've owned 1 sailboat and a twin gas motor yacht in my life so I do know what you mean. Even though both of my boats were very well taken care of they never let us down. I was very meticulous with them both and they were a lot of fun too. My grown up kids have a lot of fond memories of those days. Anyway, like some of these posters, I am very handy and have a good maintenance skill set, tools & know-how so a lot of this I'll be ably to DIY, but some things I'll just not be able to do or not qualified for or maybe just easier & cheaper to have someone else do it for me. But most stuff I'll do myself if I can. I enjoy that type of stuff but I do know my limits.

Thank you for your input.
From one Vet to another, thank you for your service!

With your mindset as a backdrop, I'm convinced nearly all things mechanical give some warning. If we are savvy enough to see the signs. No doubt you preemptively maintained your boats, and you will do the same to your MH. Annual fluid tests, good fueling practices and sensitive operator skills will tip the chance scales in your favor. Attention to detail pays dividends in reliability and survival, as you know.

Heat shock on pistons and turbo charger components can get expensive quickly. Gentle warm up and warm down, although frowned on by the clean air nazi's, will prevent many unexpected failures.

Enjoy!
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:55 PM   #26

Unexpected repairs associated only with a diesel:

HEUI pump replacement. The pump going forced the replacement of the injectors. Expensive - extended coverage paid for it. It cost about $6K.

Air bag replaced. I think that was about $600
Old 09-12-2016, 10:19 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well to be fair and accurate, the OP said "what might be ahead" not what should I expect.
Yeah, I get that, but the point is that every single component in the house and chassis is a vulnerable to an "unexpected" repair. I may "expect" to replace tires every 7-10 years, but I can still have an "unexpected" tire failure much sooner. Or I may expect that the roof will last for 20+ years, but an unexpected leak can happen any time.

I think this topic will demonstrate that there are a wide variety of things that can and will go wrong and that we should all "expect the unexpected", even though we can't know which of them will will encounter.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:29 AM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
From one Vet to another, thank you for your service!

With your mindset as a backdrop, I'm convinced nearly all things mechanical give some warning. If we are savvy enough to see the signs. No doubt you preemptively maintained your boats, and you will do the same to your MH. Annual fluid tests, good fueling practices and sensitive operator skills will tip the chance scales in your favor. Attention to detail pays dividends in reliability and survival, as you know.

Heat shock on pistons and turbo charger components can get expensive quickly. Gentle warm up and warm down, although frowned on by the clean air nazi's, will prevent many unexpected failures.

Enjoy!
I agree but not when a valve breaks! Had an engine oil analysis done before we bought the rig and 2,500 miles later the valve broke. No test will catch that kind of failure.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, repairs