Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2016, 03:16 PM   #29

96 holiday rambler 38ft DP

owned coach for over 10 years now , a few unexpected parts replaced suspension valve( hurricane valve) stopped working, hose for jacks blew , throttle cable stuck needed replacement, electrical plugs GFI both went out, roof cap popped 3x, the big thing... cracked frame cost $4k to repair. A few others ,Floor rotted in front of fridge, water heater leaked, pocket door rail broke....
There are a few things i forgot im sure those are a few i can think of , have a second set of eyes to inspect coach before purchase and go in reluctant at what you see.
drive805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2016, 05:23 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I agree but not when a valve breaks! Had an engine oil analysis done before we bought the rig and 2,500 miles later the valve broke. No test will catch that kind of failure.

This exemplifies the worst case.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:59 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
This exemplifies the worst case.
Agreed.

What I had in mind was; I am currently monitoring my coolant for slightly elevated copper content. This could be the indication of one of the coolers beginning to corrode. However, if I hadn't done a coolant analysis and run it till something broke, it could be a engine rebuild and a tranny reman. This elevated copper could also be the brass in the thermostat corroding. Point is worst case I fix an oil cooler or tranny cooler rather than wait till it breaks.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:13 PM   #32

Hate to brag but in 8 years of our Newmar ownership we had no surprise repairs - just regular maintenance. It was an excellent motorhome for us!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:20 PM   #33

This is exactly why we purchase an extended service contract, to preclude huge DP related repairs/replacements.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:44 PM   #34

Unexpected repairs? Well I guess an exhaust manifold and a reman Allison might be unexpected. She's only 23 years old, whod'a thunk?
Old 09-13-2016, 12:38 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
I'll say it again...If you can afford to pay out of pocket for major DP power train repairs, pick a DP of your choosing and happy trails.

If you cant afford to pay 4,000 - 30,000 out of pocket, then buy a repair warranty and sleep well at night ( so you can stop worrying about it ). Even if you buy an insurance policy, you will still have many DIY repairs because the most affordable policy will have a $1,000 deductible and most coach repairs will be less than that. Engine repairs are really the only thing to policies cover. You are better off doing the coach repairs your self and not filing a claim, UNLESS you let several small items build up and then file one claim for all the repairs.

Get the DP of choice...buy the insurance and happy trails.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:53 AM   #36

Just my experience, but I don't think some of the major repairs being presented here are "typical" of the DP experience. Rather, they are more typical of what CAN happen.

Are people as shy about diesel pickups with less than 100k miles on them for instance?

Point being, we're talking about something mechanical. On occasion, they break something right out of the blue - just like your daily driver, or even your bicycle might. Does that happen frequently enough to worry about?

Myself, I believe the advantages the DP's offer far out weight the potential for mechanical disasters. It should be plainly seen by anyone observant going down the road, I'm not the only one that thinks this way.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:02 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
Agreed.
What I had in mind was; I am currently monitoring my coolant for slightly elevated copper content. This could be the indication of one of the coolers beginning to corrode. However, if I hadn't done a coolant analysis and run it till something broke, it could be a engine rebuild and a tranny reman. This elevated copper could also be the brass in the thermostat corroding. Point is worst case I fix an oil cooler or tranny cooler rather than wait till it breaks.
Coma
How does monitoring your coolant prove that that a slightly elevated copper content in your coolant is caused by thermostat brass corroding, (or an oil cooler or a tranny cooler)?

Methinks "worst case" is that the "slightly elevated copper content" in your coolant is an indication that your engine is failing.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:55 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
I'll say it again...If you can afford to pay out of pocket for major DP power train repairs, pick a DP of your choosing and happy trails.

If you cant afford to pay 4,000 - 30,000 out of pocket, then buy a repair warranty and sleep well at night ( so you can stop worrying about it ). Even if you buy an insurance policy, you will still have many DIY repairs because the most affordable policy will have a $1,000 deductible and most coach repairs will be less than that. Engine repairs are really the only thing to policies cover. You are better off doing the coach repairs your self and not filing a claim, UNLESS you let several small items build up and then file one claim for all the repairs.

Get the DP of choice...buy the insurance and happy trails.
Father in Law was an actuary for a large insurance company. His comment was that most people are insurance poor - that is they are way over-insured.

We do not buy extended warranties for that reason.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:21 AM   #39

I agree with the statements regarding "Unexpected repair items". We purchased our 1999 Fleetwood Discovery 11 years ago. Logged over 115,000 miles touring the USA.
We invested in a Good Sam repair policy for such Unexpected rtepairs. Good move both for the money spent, but most important peace of mind.
We spend about $2,100 per year over 13 years for oil, filters, shocks, tires, air drier parts, step motors, roof sealer, new a/c units, etc.
Just like a boat.
Enjoy our coach.
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:17 AM   #40
YC1

DPF filter on our 08 ISL 400 last year. 5K that extended warranty refused to pay for. The tow was covered by Coach Net

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:07 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
We are considering trading our gas rig for a DP.
This is a great article thanks everyone!
Old 09-13-2016, 06:26 PM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
We have had 2 big unexpected expenses (not including Windshields)
1. Absorption type refrigerator (side by side) died. Due to many issues in buying, having to take it out the front window as it did not fit through the door) and replacing it was close to $4,000.
2. Water Pump Failure. We had a lot of preventative maintenance done at the time as it is a rear radiator and the engines are harder to get to, so we had thermostats replaced, hoses replaced, serpentine belt replaced etc. Total cost was just shy of $4000 but for the actual water pump purchase and R&R it was closer to $1400. Again this would likely have been much less expensive in a side radiator rig where the engine is much more accessible.

Tags
repair, repairs