Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-03-2015, 06:07 AM   #29
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
We were stopping for the night at a campground in the Black Hills. It was a Sunday night, the sun was going down and no one was around, so we picked an empty site and figured to settle up with the office in the morning. The first thing we had to do was get the dog out after some long hours of driving and stretch our legs. The scene was just like out of an adventure magazine, with the hills butting right up to the small campground and the sun setting fast. No lights could be seen anywhere. How beautiful and peaceful a sight. Suddenly my wife says” don’t turn around, just get back in the motorhome as fast as you can”! The urgency of her voice was chilling. My first reaction was to do exactly what she said ( I AM a married man, after all ). It seemed like slow motion, but we were back in the coach in seconds. The dog’s feet never touched the ground. It was then that I turned around and asked “so what was the big deal?” My wife replied. “ a mountain lion was coming at us” I slept with my gun that night.

Me, Mrs.,and Maggie
Jayco Precept 31 UL

Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2015, 07:44 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Crossing a large bridge on I-295 around Richmond. Got hit with a wind gust that blew me into the adjacent lane before I even knew what hit me. So glad no one else was there. Two objects cannot occupy the same space.

2005 Newmar KSDP 3910
ISC on a Spartan
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:49 AM   #31
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We had just returned from a late fall trip in our motorhome, at the time a Tiffin Open Road, and I was driving the coach back to it's winter hibernation "den" next to the garage at our cabin. It was dark and raining steadily, the road was a narrow two lane with deep ditches on either side. Up about a half mile ahead I see an oncoming car, or at least their headlights, pull off to the right and then it appeared as the car had stopped. As I continue to approach I then see a car pulled off to the left, the tail lights had not been visible until I'd gotten a bit closer. I had slowed to maybe 20 - 25 as I approached and what I could see was that both vehicles had pulled far enough off the road that at least 3/4s of the road was still available to me. What I couldn't see in the rain, with the oncoming cars headlights in my eyes, was the BIG buck someone had hit and which was down, laying on my side of the road, just left of center. Unfortunately the car facing me had pulled off past the deer so rather than illuminating the scene for me it blinded me to it.

So I'm thinking, what's up with these two idiots, until I'm no more than 10' from that big buck and I'm about to go over it. I did manage to see the critter try to lift it's head as I started to roll over it. I had pulled a bit to the right to thread the distance between the cars parked beside the road so the deer went under me, dead (no pun intended) center. There was a hell of a racket as he hit who knows what on his tour of the Tiffin's chassis. At least I'd put him out of his misery.

There was nowhere for me to pull over for at least another mile, I'd have blocked the entire highway, I certainly wasn't going to pull that heavy rig off onto a very narrow rain soaked shoulder bordered by a four foot deep ditch. At that first opportunity I did pull over, got out the flashlight and braved the pouring rain to see if there was any obvious damage that would make continuing the short remaining distance to the cabin a dangerous venture for either me or the coach. Not being able to see anything out of sorts I continued on.

The next morning I woke up to bright sunshine. The coach is parked on pavement so I got out my creeper for a good inspection. First thing I noticed was that the front plate had been literally ripped off, only a small bit of it was still there, held in place by the mounting bolts. Directly under where the plate had been, but not visible until I got under it, was a break in the front cap. Hanging below that, a foot or so back, was the plastic bottom radiator tank, covered in blood. I could trace the exact path the big deer took by blood and chunks of flesh, all the way to the fuel tank, which had a nice dent in one corner, I'm guessing left by his at least 16 point rack. There was a mass of venison stuck to the front side of the rear tire splash guards, a big chuck of cooked flesh on top of the exhaust pipe and other similar souvenirs made up of various parts of white tail all over the place.

As the crack in the front cap was not visible I never bothered to have it repaired and it never got any bigger. I did hose off the splash guard and exhaust system as best I could but I never had any more issues from the incident. Why that plastic radiator tank didn't crack open I'll never know, just counted my blessings.
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:54 AM   #32
Originally Posted by MarkusW View Post
Today I was browsing the forums and getting some ideas for mine when all of a sudden a massive storm just came through with wind gusts hitting my east sidewall at full force. I'm almost sure they were close to 40mph gusts. I thought my MH was going to roll over! I ran outside to pull my new 410w inverter off the battery and I was completely soaked before I even took a step out the door! That was intense! It scared the crap out of me.
What was your first scary moment in your motorhome/coach/rv. Whichever you prefer to call it.
My 1st scary moment was when my coach would start and run but the Allison would not shift out of neutral after we overnighted in a rest area in eastern Minnesota. (the display on the Allison push button shifter read "DO NOT SHIFT")
My 2nd, (and even scarier), moment was when Detroit Diesel in Bloomington, MN. presented me with the $2,400+ bill for diagnosing and replacing the 20 ft piece of 14 ga wire from the chassis battery to the Allison VIM which was the cause of the "DO NOT SHIFT" condition.
'96 Safari, Allison M3060
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:00 AM   #33
Winnebago Owners Club
The scariest moment was reading the threads on this forum and realizing the number of people who are overloaded, know they are overloaded and rationalize being overloaded by stating the engineers under estimate the capacity of their vehicles as a safety factor.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:34 AM   #34
Tiffin Owners Club
Mine was when I decided to "try out" my new Garmin 760RV GPS. Despite having mapped out the route I decided to take the Garmin route shorter by 2 miles. Dumb, I know better. It led us on a 2-lane road straight up to a railroad track about 2 ' above the road. No backing up as this was rural MS curvy road. I got out, DH tried approach at an angle as I watched beneath for contact with the track as he went over the peak. OMG it was back and forth a few times but we made it over. Then we find ourselves on a narrow 2 lane with an immediate left after crossing the tracks. Managed the turn after I bailed again to watch clearance with a big ditch. Our 40' rig with a toad doesn't do well on narrow roads with ditches. Now I am having a panic attack because I have nothing on the map that shows this place and no idea how to get out of here.
I climb back in and we see Garmin says turn right at next right. Nice right angle onto another narrow street with a street sign right on the corner. No traffic, good thing. Swing and make the turn while I run back & forth watching wheels, signs and ditches. Made it, go about 60 ' and Garmin says take a right on next street. Managed to miss taking out stop sign by an inch. My panic attack is reaching major proportions by now and DH is sitting there looking straight forward and no sound is coming out of his moving lips. We drive another 100' and Garmin says turn left. As we sit at the stop sign I look right and see those damn railroad tracks. We have just arrived about 40' past the tracks by taking a left, right, and right thru a one lane residential neighborhood when all we needed to do was go straight after the track crossing. Anger replaced panic. DH found his voice and what came out was not nice. We managed to get out of there by going straight thank goodness.
After reaching our stop I took the Garmin out and determined that it was on the RV mode, it did have the settings for our RV correct as I had entered. We never used the thing again. Called and sent it back. I learned a lesson I already knew. I also had a lot of new gray hair!
Mel (Melanie) and Harry
2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:04 AM   #35
My scariest moment was in Baja. Made it to top of mountain on a long winding and narrow road. Great views I think but not real sure. My fist were welded to steering wheel and when we got to the top I actually broke out into a cold sweat. Had always of them, but this was my first, followed by a two hour anxiety attack wondering how in the hell I was going to get off the mountain, etc..

Finally got over it and the next day on a flat, level, and narrow road I clipped mirrors with an oncoming semi at 55 MPH. Did not phase me, my only thought was "Mirrors are cheap!" That was in '02 and the scares are still on the mirror, and my brain!

'01 National RV Tropi-Cal, Ford V10, '01 Suzuki GV 4X4 Blue Ox Tow Bar,300 Watts Solar, 2500 Watt '458' Inverter, NO TVs, Most light fixtures upgraded to LEDs

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:37 AM   #36
National RV Owners Club
We went FT in Feb this year. Decided to take the 10 all through the southern states. When visiting relatives in Texas, they suggested we stay in Galveston. I know Glen Campbells voice starts ringing in my ears...Galveston Oh Galveston.... We stayed on the Island for 1 month and it did nothing but rain...but then one night it hit. The storm to beat ALL storms. They called it a windstorm, with gusts up to 70 mph. Rain blowing from the west and coming in through the weep holes in the windows, then the roof started leaking, we had towels everywhere trying to soak up the rain. Then we looked out the window and saw a coach across from us and their slide toppers ripped right off the coach, so we pulled in the slides as we were being tossed from side to side by the now blowing steady 70-80 mph wind and rain. Then it all just stopped. Silence. **** Silence is NOT golden with Mother Nature....Then the lightening cracked so load it made the hair on the back of your neck stand straight up in the air. My wife let out a scream an grabbed me, when we heard the sound of like rocks hitting the roof....It was hail the size of golf balls (being from CA the land of sunshine, earthquakes, and wildfires.., we had never experienced anything like this), then the wind hit so hard it tossed us against the dining table and made a roaring sound as it was blasting the side of the coach.

10 minutes later it was just raining and we went out to check on other folks in the resort. One 2015 5th wheel (3 months new) was flipped 30 ft from where was parked and another travel trailer had landed 3 spots down on its side, some 60 feet away.

The good people of Galveston just shrugged and said " that ain't nothing you should have been here when Ike hit".
2006 National Tropi-Cal T396 - 2002 Toyota 4Runner 4X4 with REMCO Disconnect Drive
Anywhere, North America
Xjaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:38 PM   #37
Coming down 550 the " Million Dollar Highway" toward Ouray as we neared a blind corner saw that front wheels of an approaching semi were over the center in my lane. Luckily I was going slow so I managed to pull as close as possible to the rock wall on my right and stop. By the time the trailer came past it was completely in my lane and missed my fender by only inches. The driver of the truck never slowed and as he passed gave me a look like what was I doing on his road.
Tiny Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:29 PM   #38
When I reversed into my friends Mercedes sl550.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2015 Ace 30.2
2009 Porsche Cayman
1981 Hondamatic
Mahakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:09 PM   #39
Just passed a loaded b train tanker on a passing lane going south up hill in Vernon BC Canada when my toad (09 h3t hummer) decided to try and pass me. Some exciting and expensive as i stopped too fast and had some body work to do on the back of the coach. Am glad that i was by myself, like flying a plane in bad weather.
Salmon Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:36 AM   #40
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Driving North out of Charleston WV on US35 @65MPH and a deer jumped out in my path. $12,000 dollars and 3 months later we were back on the road.
X2 .... S. Texas on US 77 driving to Houston ... Its just to bad they cant jump higher. Mine was damaged in the tune amount of 14K. And my 3 month wait was a killer.
Mikey (USN retired, Radioman)
mikensallyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 01:05 AM   #41
@Melmoses Omg! Glad everything worked out well for you two. And for the new gray/grey hair may I suggest "just for men", worked for my wife. She originally got it for my mustache and beard. Keep on RVing.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:27 AM   #42
@ Xjaywalker .. Welcome to Texas lol. That was some nasty weather rolling in from Brownsville. Our windstorms can be quite the shocker. Sure hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay. We haven't had this much rain in a reeeeeaaaal long time but now we are out of our drought. I'm waiting for Sept. That's normally when we get the real hurricane weather if any. Let's just hope its not another "IKE" when it gets here. Thankfully, Corpus Christi and the surrounding areas have been "saved" numerous times and will continue to do so. /mikey