Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2011, 09:23 AM   #1

What wax/polish to use

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. I just purchased a new 2011 Winnebago Vista 35F. The unit has partial paint, not full body. Is the part that is not painted a gelcoat, or is it simply painted white? I want to wax or polish it while it is new before it gets any contamination on the exterior surfaces that I would have to clean off. Any suggestions on what to use. If it is in fact paint all the way around I know what to use, just don't know if it is all paint.

Thanks for any advice.

Nick
hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe time for a call to W customer service to find out what the surface finish is...
Old 10-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #3

This topic has a lot of different opinions. Mine is us a paste or liquid wax with carnuba apply and take it of with a random orbital buffer then a micro fiber.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use RejeX on ours. It doesn't matter if it is paint or not. We also use it on the windows. Expensive but it will normally last all year with a good application.

RejeX: Nothing Sticks but the Shine!

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think this would be a matter of personal preference. I use NuFinish (liquid) Polish. Have for years and like it a lot. Remember though it is just a polish. This past season I also tried a product by Mother's, which is called Mother's "SYN"thetic wax. It's kind of in a paste form, which you needn't use much and goes on easy and comes off the same way. I like that product a lot. I like the gloss from using the NuFinish but the Mother's seemed to make it even a deeper gloss.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most all automotive waxes are based on the same Tree, carnuba , However there are major differences in such things as how much wax in the wax.

I mean I've used Turtle Wax (Assorted types) Dry Wash-N-Guard, RV-Soultion, McGuires, and Simonize.... Generally I found the more work I had to do, the better the job.

Simonize was the most work... I do not recommend it for RV's however less you are really into washing and waxing big time.. (Wash, pre-wax clean, Apply wax, Buff, That would be about 3-4 weeks for me on my rig)
Old 10-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
YC1

Welcome to Driven - Automotive, Aviation & Marine Polish, Auto Wax and Finishing Products

I have been using this for years. Once a year for a good waxing and then I use the diluted version for quick wipe downs in between. It always looks like it has a coat of plastic.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I vote for RejeX. Have used it for several years on the Goldwing, cars and MH. It is great stuff. Takes time to put on but you only have to do it once a year. Helps in the rain also.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
I used Mothers and really liked it untill someone hipped Turtle wax ice paste. Both waxes to me were easy on and off, but Turtle wax ice to me had a better shine , plus no white dried wax in cracks. It dries clear, has uv protection,and seems to last as long. I try to get ours waxed twice a year. It seems to grow while doing it!! I also like the ease of new finish for the roof. I am always looking for easier, with lasting results. I might add I used on gelcoat as well as on clearcoat both look great.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #10

best wax is very up in the air such as best oil or best beer

I use Nu Finish (orange bottle) on all my vehicles from the daily drivers to the show vehicles
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:15 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same question, most favorable comments were from Nu Finish users, I went out and bought 3 of the products, nu finish in the orange bottle, nu finish spray( for easy touch up, and the scratch remover. They all work well . The scratch remover works best with a lot of pressure. All the rest is pretty easy.
King Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
best wax is very up in the air such as best oil or best beer

I use Nu Finish (orange bottle) on all my vehicles from the daily drivers to the show vehicles
Nu Finish for me too, on all my vehicles.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Coincidence, you may want to pick up the most recent issue of Consumer Reports.

I'll give you a hint, orange bottle, begins with Nu-.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote