Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2017, 11:34 PM   #1

What We Learned at the RV Show.

Went to the RV show in Sacramento, CA, today. Honestly, we had a great time, didn't find any super pushy salespeople and saw most of the gas Class A's we wanted to. Why am I saying this? To get a little feedback from others and to maybe let someone like us whose looking for a Class A know what we thought.

Tiffin Allegro - Awesome MH! We both loved it. Easily the nicest gas coach at the show...and easily the most expensive. They had a 32 SA on sale for $143k. Out of our budget Let's move on.

Thor A.C.E. - We were really surprised. We'd read lot's of stuff like the FR3 stole the idea and did it better, the FR3 has better quality, etc. We really like the A.C.E. We saw the 30.3 and loved the floor plan. I actually like the dinette and I hate dinettes. Lot's of interior storage. Way different than what we'd seen before with the stupid round kitchen sink and some of the early stumbles. We liked it depite being an entry level coach. Barrel and pin hinges, fair amount of plastic, laminate counter tops, etc. Also, not a huge amount of CCC. Not horrible but not as good as some others on larger chassis. But might have been our favorite of the show, though not necessarily the best or what we'll end up with.

Winnie Vista/Sunstar (26HE, I think) - A small step up from the A.C.E. and FR3 quality and material wise. The outside storage has better doors and latches. Had MCD shades instead of accordion shades. Better hinges on the cabinets. But the Winnies have odd floor plans in our opinion. We actually went to Camping World after the show to see a few models that weren't at the show. TV's in weird places, strange layouts, etc. We like the 30T and 31KE and maybe the new 32YE but the rest...meh! Generally significantly bigger tanks than FR3 and A.C.E (and others like Georgetown (which we didn't look at because of the tank sizes...but A.C.E. doesn't have any bigger. We might need to look more at them).

Winnie Vista/Sunstar LX (35F) - Now this is a step up. Corian countertops, residential hinges, MCD day/night and black out shades, etc. Really nice rigs. Also more money, but in budget, and also significantly more CCC in the 35' models with the 22k chassis. We don't really like those floorplans though. We did like all the upgraded features, however.

Forest River FR3 (30DS) - Admittedly, this was our fav headed in...on paper anyway. In person, we liked the A.C.E., it's direct competitor, better. The FR3 has similar cabinet hardware but no pistons to hold up doors. Instead they just drop down and hang. Then there was significantly less interior storage. Tiny doors, short drawers (like really short despite what appeared to be plenty of room), etc. Weird. No fans, either. Just vents. Weird. But there was a lot to like too. Another winner dinette. Nice floor plan. King bed. Huge rear storage area. But after reading all this stuff about FR stealing the A.C.E. idea and improving it, we didn't see it. Maybe if we dig deeper or maybe Thor caught back up in the entry level arms race. FR# have dropped to near the bottom of our list.

Jayco (several Alante and Precept models) - Jayco takes the cookie cutter construction idea seriously. They all looked the same. Same dinette (which sucked), save bed slide (wish was too deep and too narrow and sucked) and same strangely functional kitchen with pull out counter/drawers and stuff. The bed in that super deep and skinny slide plus the horrible dinettes were deal killers. Next!

Overall impressions? The A.C.E. and FR3 weren't the rattletraps we've been led to believe. But the devil is in the details. Low end shades, hardware, etc. may not look bad but might become an issue or cause us to make changes or repairs that raise the actual cost down the road. But they weren't that bad either and both have a lot of nice features...and some glaring shortcomings when compared to more expensive coaches. I'd say the difference between the Tiffin and these two were more like Chevy vs Cadillac than they were like Yugo vs Bentley, however.

The Winnies seem to have floor plans for the sake of having floor plans. The A.C.E. and FR3 are really straight forward but Winnie seems to like experimenting and in our humble opinion, many of those experiments failed. But both the standard and LX models are upgrades and in our price range.

Cargo capacity is limited in the 18000 lb frame and generous in the 22000 lb frame. Is 2000-2500 enough? Certainly, 4000-4500 is. Then again, lot's of Class A's seem to suffer from low CCC.

We also stopped into a very small class C on the Mercedes chassis. Small, yes. But oddly intriguing. Wish I could remember the brand but we might do a little research on these sort of MH's. We probably wouldn't go with a traditional class C since a class A isn't much more money but you get so much more but the small size coupled with the Mercedes chassis is interesting.

Finally, we aren't settled on new but we do like the idea (heard all the cons, thanks ). For us, any of the class A's we saw would do the job and not bust our budget (heard all the reasons we can't full time in anything short of a 45 foot DP, thanks ). Seeing the MH's in person, helped us understand the shortcomings better and whether we could deal with them. Now we just need to digest all this and mull it all over.

Reply away!
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2017, 12:48 AM   #2

Lots of good info there Dan. Thanks for posting.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:32 AM   #3

Remember, there are show prices and then there are "show" prices.

If you were to order the Tiffin new from a dealer, expect to be able to negotiate 25%-28% off of the list price. Otherwise, be prepared to walk.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:43 AM   #4

You didn't mention looking at Newmar and you should. I've had a few issues but nothing significant and the fit and finish is much better than all you mentioned except perhaps for the Tiffen. Once while in for service I browsed some of the other brands on the lot. Some of the Winnie's I saw, and on your list, were nice, well built. I walked out of each of the three ACE units I looked at wondering how could either the manufacturer or dealer put these on the lot with all the cosmetic and fit issues. Good luck on your search.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:53 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
You didn't mention looking at Newmar and you should. I've had a few issues but nothing significant and the fit and finish is much better than all you mentioned except perhaps for the Tiffen. Once while in for service I browsed some of the other brands on the lot. Some of the Winnie's I saw, and on your list, were nice, well built. I walked out of each of the three ACE units I looked at wondering how could either the manufacturer or dealer put these on the lot with all the cosmetic and fit issues. Good luck on your search.
I second the Newmar choice. Bought one a few months ago and it's been nearly flawless (so far only a loose mounting screw in one of the fantastic fan vents). I've heard others say not to buy new because of all the adjustments that will be required. My experience says otherwise. A quality dealer makes a huge difference as well.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:30 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You looked at the best first and it was too expensive?? Winnebago, Newmar, and Tiffin all build good, solid gas class A coaches. Then there are all the rest of them that you mentioned. These are "entry level" coaches. Not as robust or as well finished as the ones from Newmar, Tiffin, and Winnie.

And yes, the Sprinter chassis coaches are pretty neat. We downsized simply because we didn't need that much coach anymore.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
I agree with the others. Check out the Newmar Bay star and Bay Star sport. I'd also check out the Coachmen Mirada's. We liked them so much we ended up buying one.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:43 AM   #8

I don't believe they had any Newmars.

The two A.C.E.s we saw didn't have any fit and finish issues and seemed solid enough. Obviously not on par with the Tiffin but as I said, not the junk some would have you believe. Maybe depends on the dealer. The local dealer is small and doesn't carry a huge inventory so they might put a little more work into the coaches.

That Tiffin wasn't as low as it could go. I think it MSRP'd for $170k-ish and they were selling it for $143k. Should have been closer to $130k. Still a stretch for our budget.

I have since looked at Georgetown. I wish we would have looked at them at the show. The GT5 series is pretty nice...on paper. But we didn't look because I was under the impression they had pretty small tanks and that's not an option for us in a bigger, upgraded coach. I was wrong. The GT5 floor plan we like has 82/42/42. Very doable for boondocking. We might be going back tomorrow

And I have looked at the Sprinter class some more. We looked at the a Prism 24EF equivalent in another brand. Much to like in these coaches. We like the small size. We don't plan to be the sit in an RV park types. We plan to be out in the wild boondocking and the smaller size is a real bonus for that. But then the tanks are smaller and there's much less storage. Still, they fit a lot of stuff into those little chassis. I thought the wife would balk at them but she likes the idea too.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:43 AM   #9

Which show is it - do you have a web link? At the staples center?

edit - this one at Cal - expo?

http://www.rvshow.com/
harryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:53 AM   #10

Head up to Grass Valley-

DeMartini RV Sales - New and Used Motorhome Dealer | Index
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:55 AM   #11
WDW

You didn't mention it, but another writer did, the FR Georgetown and Coachman divisions. They fall in the tween to upper tween categories in the gas series. Personally we are partial to the / our Miranda series. You can get a full-bodied paint 2017 Mirada for around $110 K.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:01 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I may be a bit biased but you owe it to yourself to check out the Newmars. Look at used MHs 2-3 yrs old and you'll be very surprised at what your budget can buy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #13

You might also want to consider the "factory-direct" route that is offered by Nexus!
We bought their DP, but they also have a class A gas that you could customize!
All in all, you're doing your home work, but no matter where you go, you'll find that the competition is stiff. While the RV industry is always changing, they can't move fast enough for what we as consumers are always asking....This is why we like going to RV shows...to see and hear what new products are out there and who is really delivering on their RV product lines!
Best wishes and happy hunting!
TimnJamie
BentlyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:28 AM   #14

My advice is now go find a big used / consignment dealer and take a look at the 5-10-15 year old similar models, just to get a feel for what your money can buy on the used market. There are a lot of quality built, upper end motorhomes out there that were kept indoors for much of their life and maintained available at 20-50% of their original price, the problem is you have to wade through lots of worn out stuff to find them.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote