Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2012, 03:50 AM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What would you buy?

I have a friend who is wanting to buy a nice used Class A, gas only, about 32 ft and wants to spend about $100,000 for the RV and any needed repairs (new tires, etc.) He is asking me for suggestions about which brands and how old a rig he should consider. He is not a mechanic.

Since you are the experts, I'm hoping you can provide some good answers.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2012, 04:30 AM   #2

For that kind of money, he can get into a new coach in that size range. Then he will have everything new, tires brakes and engine and trany. And a warranty to fix anything else that may happen. There are many brands to consider, but I would look real hard at Newmar. We purchased one last Summer and it has not had to go back to the dealer for anything. Fixed a few minor things myself and everything now works great. Go new, and he will not be sorry. Especially if he in not mechanically adapt. Motorhomes are very complex, high tech machines these days. Don't take chances on a used unit.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:36 AM   #3

A brand new Forest River Georgetown will list for about 110k but will sell for 80k. It is the number 1 selling gasser on the market and is the one I chose after a lot of looking.
bmacrc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:47 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
One year ago, we purchased a new Winnie Adventurer 35P for $110K and haven't regretted it.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:58 AM   #5

Tell him to look at new ones. Could get a great deal on a 2012 with new ones coming out.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree, with a good budget the possibilities are endless! Is your friend wanting a gasser strictly? There are many late model DP out there in his price range. JMO!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I'd buy a new Winnebago or Itasca for that price. Or a used diesel pusher.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #8

$100k is tons of money...the world is his oyster. I'm going to suggest a 2010+ Thor Challenger, or a new Thor Daybreak (not quite as fancy as the Challenger, but cheaper new).
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #9

For that kind of money , he can get a decent used diesel.
He should check at rv.org for ratings, prices and reviews.
This is non profit consumer group.

trux
trux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #10

Great advice from everyone. I'll second the votes for a Newmar, FR Georgetown, or Winnie Adventurer. While I've had to work on some, those coaches are simpler and easier (ie: cheaper) to repair than the high-end stuff and both FR and Winnie have great dealer support.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:04 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd go to Motorhomes of Texas in Nacogdoches, TX and see what they have in used Foretravels.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:48 AM   #12

There's a difference between not being a mechanic, and not willing to do, or learn to do, at least some of your own maintenance?

I would suggest somebody not planning on doing at least some of their own maintenance consider a 5er? The motor home is going to need ongoing maintenance that is not only expensive if you have to have it done, but especially frustrating for those not expecting it! Add to that the huge financial hit they'll take on a new one, and not having anything else to go on, I think you have assembled a recipe for disappointment. That's just me though. -Al
Old 10-24-2012, 07:07 AM   #13

That budget allows you to look at both new and used, buy the MH that best fits what you like. We started out looking at used, wound up buying new ( Allegro 36la). Although I am some what mechanically inclined we felt we would be better off with a new MH. You don't know what you don't know. In addition we couldn't find a floor plan that we liked as well in a used unit.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Alright you asked for everyone's opinion. Most of the the coach owners have had 1 or at the most 3 different coaches. So if they like their coach they will sing it's praises. The first thing you friend has to do is educate themselves on RVing. The best place to do that is to go to rv.org buy their product and read ALLthe material. Then go to their ratings page and pick the coachs and models that he think will best fit his needs and wants. This will be the best money he could spend on buying an rv.
Then go to oodle.com and plug in what he's looking for. It searches all over the web, except craigslist, and if you check the right boxes will send you daily updates on what you're looking for. Be prepared to take some time and do some traveling to find what you're looking for. Don't fall in love with a coach till after you buy it. Also if you see some coaches list at prices that are too good to be true, they probably aren't. Those same folks that are sending you email about a lot of money you have in a foreign bank have discovered they can do the same thing with rv's. So be careful and good luck.
By the way I get nothing from rv.org and if I buy another coach that will be the first place I go back to.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote